A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A little dumb question about brownies.  (Read 1966 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erikau
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005 02:54:40 PM »

What is a fudgy brownie and what's a cakey one? And how should a brownie taste? (Ok, it's a seriously idiotic question, but hey, I hadn't eaten a brownie until an hour ago!)

Not an idiotic question at all...

A cakey brownie is drier, has more crumb and, well, is more cake-like. Imagine a cake that didn't rise properly, or, you know that dense layer in a black forest cherry cake? It's like that, but really chocolatey. 

A fudgey brownie is wetter, heavier, oilier (in a good way!) and smoother on the tongue.  It almost melts in your mouth, like ganache or fudge.  Plus, fudgey brownies are more likely to have a shiny shell or crust as a result of all the eggs.  I prefer fudgey brownies, without frosting.

A chocolate brownie should end up tasting like the baked equivalent of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. Milk chocolate isn't adequately chocolate for a brownie.

By the way, although the traditional American brownie contains walnuts; I like to make brownies with raisins and dried sour cherries instead.  Just make sure the cherries are dried, not candied.

Happy baking!

Erika

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hanau110603
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005 04:53:03 PM »

Business Idea: Since they don't sell them where you live, you could consider making them and selling them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Misa
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005 02:18:08 AM »

I hate cakey brownies. Boo.  Angry

However, fudgy brownies are something divine. And I generally don't like nuts in my brownies because I like the melt-in-your-mouth texture of the brownies. Yum!

I have a friend who makes hers with a jar of plum baby food. They're really tasty that way... more moist and fudgy and you can't really taste the plum, but it adds something to the chocolate flavor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Misa
ubercraftygal

and i swear, in that moment, we were infinite.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005 04:01:13 PM »

i have a friend who is jewish, and during passover, his mom makes these flourless brownies (no leavening during passover)

i've never tried this, but he tells me these brownies are the only way he can make it through passover! has anyone ever tried these or does anyone have a recipe? i'm sure i could just ask his mom for hers, i just wanted to bring up the discussion. Smiley

brownies are amazing.

one thing that is SO good to do is add kahlua (a coffee, chocolate liquer) to your brownies instead of water. i did this with my mom (i'm too young to do it myself!  Wink) and the brownies had this amazing mocha-ish taste. yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005 08:20:51 PM »

Forget walnuts. Pecans are the queen of brownie nuts-
The absolutely BEST brownie is warm served with Blue Bell Ice Cream (Homemade Vanilla flavor).
Although, i'd bet a warm brownie smothered in that Mint Chocolate Chip (also superb done by Blue Bell Creamery) would be sensational.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005 01:38:39 AM »

no mint choc chip icecream?! that's WORSE than no brownies!
man, i LOVE mint choc chip icecream.

you poor thing.

wonder why it disappeared.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emapril
Emilisaurus

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005 09:31:42 AM »

We don't have brownies in Sweden either. We could start a brownie business together and I could run it in Sweden and you could do it in Lithuania! There is after all only a little water between us!

They recently started selling Ben & Jerry's ice cream in 7eleven. Every time I pass the freezers in there, my mouth starts to water. But then my wallet cries out; never in my life would I pay $5 (unbelievable but true!) for a tiny cup of ice cream...

I found a place where they sell root beer too! It's this magic little store called "The American Food Store".  Aahh..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bag_lady
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005 10:25:21 AM »

brownies are my favorite!  any time there is some sort of get together involving food, i'm always the brownie girl.  it's funny too b/c i usually just use betty crocker boxed mix.  but they always come out great. the few times i made them from scratch they tasted the same as the mix but with a lot more work.  so if i have the time i make them from scratch, but if i'm in need of a brownie fix RIGHT NOW then i settle for the mix.  no nuts, no icing, but sometimes choc chips.

you can always start your business by making and selling brownies to friends and neighbors and save the profits for when you are old enough to open your cafe. good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005 04:19:47 PM »

I just baked a double recipe for our National Neighborhood Night Out block party, using Betty Crocker's low carb Chocolate Chunk mix....not bad, though a little cakier than I normally prefer, but still 50% less sugar! Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips from Bestselling Author Lee Eisenberg
Margaret Peterson Haddix Talks About Claim to Fame
Announcing Morbid Curiosity
Author Ruth Graham Discusses Fear Not Tomorrow, God Is Already There
Mireille Guiliano Talks About Business Education
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...