A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A little dumb question about brownies.  (Read 1961 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

avizzius
« on: July 24, 2005 06:39:59 AM »

Ok, I've only eaten brownies once (sounds weird, huh?) and it was today and they were baked by me  Grin as I didn't know where else to get them (they aren't sold in shops or cafes or anywhere here obviously). It was awesome, sooo chocolate-y!
And then I read some posts about brownies and I got totally confused. What is a fudgy brownie and what's a cakey one? And how should a brownie taste? (Ok, it's a seriously idiotic question, but hey, I hadn't eaten a brownie until an hour ago!)

And maybe someone would be willing to write their favourite brownie recipe? I think I've found a perfect dessert for the chocolate lover that I am Wink (I followed the recipe I found at http://www.joyofbaking.com/brownies.html, it was super easy. It smelled (and looked) so nice that I couldn't even wait for the brownies to cool properly.)

Any kind of help is really appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheenyweeny
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005 07:30:54 AM »

*hugs u*

first time?! oh my *hugs u again* where on earth do u live?

i'm not usually this affectionate but wow, brownies are like the eternal food, a piece of heaven in a person's mouth! they are deliciously flakey and kinda both dry and moist at the same time! They smell divine, shouldn't taste too sweet and don't usually have an icing. U can have walnuts or any other nuts in em, or use teeny pieces of fudge or choc chips for fudge brownies.

brownies don't quite have a cakey consistency n u don't slice em, u square em. they're harder when touched than cakes but melt in the mouth, and should if u make em right!

they taste great plain, or with vanilla icecream and chocolate topping if you're so inclined. i've only made brownies a few times but i'm a true conoisseur so hopefully i've helped u a lil bit! go brownies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is like a sandwich, the more u put into it, the better it becomes!

well behaved women rarely make history :p
Skysong

Check out Josh's new Christmas album NOL!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005 07:43:06 AM »

No, not dumb at all; if you've never had brownies you don't know how they should tastes, though as long as you like the way they taste it doesn't really matter. I agree with sheenyweeny, brownies should have a melt in your mouth chocolaty consistency and should really not be cakey or have icing. I'd love to post my favorite recipe, but it from a currently copy righted cookbook, so I can't post it on the board. If you pm me, I can give it to you (it'll be just like you borrowed it from the library and photocopied the page!). Basically, it's melted chocolate, eggs, vanilla, sugar, butter, and less flour than you would think.

edit: I found a recipe from the Philadelphia Inquirer that came at the end of an article on good brownies;  I've never tried it, but it looks good; I'm sure I can post this because it was in the newspaper. ( I'll cite it anyway: Bittman, Phil. "Back to Brownie Basics". Philadelphia Inquirer, Thursday, August 19, 2004.)

Brownies:
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, plus one more for greasing the pan and knife
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the chocolate and stick of butter in a small saucepan over very low heat stirring occasionally. When chocolate is just melted, remove from heat and continue to stir until mixture is smooth. {I like to melt it in a double broiler, less chance of burning, but since I don't have one, i just take pot of boiling water and put a heat-safe bowl with the chocolate and butter on top, and stir}
3. Meanwhile, grease and 8-inch square baking pan. If you like, line it with waxed or parchment paper and grease that. {I always line and then grease, so much easier to get it out of the pan}
4. Transfer chocolate mixture to a bowl. Stir in the sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the flour (and salt and vanilla, if using). Stir just until blended, stopping when no traces of flour remain. Scape batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake until set and barely firm in the middle, about 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Slice into bars with a well buttered knife.

If anyone wants to read the article, I can scan it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005 08:02:16 AM by Skysong » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Patience is a virtue
 Tolerance is a gift
 Emotions are limiters
 Apathy is death
 Paradoxes rule us all the time"               From my boyfriend's poem, "Lost Hope"
Br1na
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005 07:49:09 AM »

OOh, that's a gooood brownie recipe.

I made my first brownies by accident. I was 'trying' to make cake, but I read it wrong.

It was :

-- Two boxes chocolate cake mix.
-- One box white cake mix.
-- 2 cups of oil (Yeah, that's where I made the mistake. I thought it said two, it said 1/2...I added the other Mixes to try to compensate, but it was still really really heavy.. and FANTASTIC.)
-- 2 eggs

I got told over, and over, and over again that they were the best brownies anyone had ever tasted. (They were for the office christmas party).  It took about four hours to bake them up so they weren't just a big glob of oil, but they really were super.

And the Best Icing Ever :

1 bag of chocolate chips
1 thingie of sour cream (Adjust both to taste)

heat sour cream over Very Low Heat, add chocolate chips until desired consistency/taste. Cool slightly, spread over brownies/cake/cupcakes/eat right out of the pot.

Some people don't like their brownies to have icing. I do.
Some like them with nuts, not me.

These are kindof like a fudge, really. They melt in your mouth and its really hard to chew. Super chocolatey. Also a bit buttery. And delicious.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005 07:50:49 AM by Br1na » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
avizzius
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005 07:55:45 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy
Ooh thanks to all three of you Wink
I live in Lithuania if anyone knows where it is. It's in Europe, on the east coast of the Baltic sea, somewhere in between Russia, Poland, Latvia and Byelorussia (sp?). And we don't have a lot of things I think I'd love, f.e. mint flavoured ice-cream with tiny bits of chocolate (we *used* to have them but then they suddenly disappeared from the shops) or *let me think* a lot of vegetarian foods or even maple syrup (I SO love it)!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005 09:47:06 PM by avizzius » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheenyweeny
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005 08:04:02 AM »

you should like BRING BROWNIES TO LITHUANIA!

start a brownie biz, i think we have a couple in new zealand, i found this link to one

http://www.seriousbrownee.co.nz

i dunno how great the business is or does, but it's just an idea, and it'd sure put a smile on lithuania's face Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

avizzius
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005 08:28:13 AM »

To say the truth, one of my biggest wishes is to have a small cosy cafe or something where I'd sell pies and cookies and everything made by me, I mean, it would be warm and all, not some kind of a "we-make-a-million-pies-per-hour" shop. And it would definitely have brownies there Wink
But I have to "grow up" to do that Wink (I'm only 16 you know Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005 08:42:26 AM »

I think Lithuania has been brownie-deprived long enough! Good luck to you in your ventures!

The difference between a brownie and cake is the texture and compactness. A good brownie should be slightly chewy and have few crumbs, with a shiny and slightly crisp top (the sugar content does that part, mostly). If you've got a shiny top, there's no need for frosting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheenyweeny
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005 12:12:52 PM »

okay when i'm rich, you'll be old enough by then believe me, and i visit lithuania, i'll come by your cosy pie place, sample your brownies and let you know if you're making em right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

avizzius
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005 12:57:58 PM »

Yay, my first client  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Teriyaki Gyros Recipe
How to Make a Szechuan Pork Belly and Triple Happiness Cocktail
Delicious Cucumber Kimchi Recipe
Korean Mandu Dumplings Recipe
How to Make Fluke Sashimi With a Japanese Pear Cocktail
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...