A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
842 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gorgeous jessica simpson shrug  (Read 4586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2005 06:55:40 PM »

It's basically the same thing, really.  For the Jessica shrug, there's a seam because of the pattern. If the pattern doesn't look obviously directional, like Stockinette or ribbing, etc., you could work the seams all the way from one side to the other.  The sleeves are mostly fitted at the wrists, and balloon out from there, and my guess is, the "sleeve" portion is knit with increases only on the "front" edge all the way to the back seam.  Then, you seam to the elbow to make the cuff. 

The seam you see along the arm IS there.  Let me see if I can explain this.  After you sew the sleeve seams, which run up the back of the arm, if you've increased properly along the "front" edge, you've got a backwards-looking shrug.  There should be a nice, fitted sleeve up to the elbow and then a WHOLE lot of fabric in front, but just a narrow panel across the shoulder.  THEN you knit the back piece and sew it in and knit the ribbed "collar". 

The shoudlerette pattern would give a very similar look, except when it's ON, there isn't much in front.  None, really.  Not enough to pull together in front and close.  Theoretically, all that rigamarol with seaming is just because of the stitch pattern.  If you worked a nice ribbed cuff and then did the rest in stockinette or simple eyelet lace, you could create something VERY similar by using a somewhat complicated system of increases and decreases.  You'll want to wind up with a piece of material that looks like this when laying flat, before any seaming:

The flat ends are the sleeves and the roundy bits are the front and the long curve is the back. 

And yes, I think the pattern is a combination of simple eyelet lace and cabled lace.  I posted a link to a very simple eyelet lace/ribbed looking sweater earlier in the thread.  That is a much simpler lace pattern and could be done from sleeve to sleeve without looking backwards, but would give a similar effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
shrtcke
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2005 07:10:48 PM »

yeah i see what your saying about the front. and that's my favorite part so i definetly wouldn't want do it like the shoulderette then. do you have any examples of what the somewhat complicated system of inc and dec?  just wondering are you trying to make up a pattern for this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005 08:38:56 PM »

I have too many projects in the works right now to actually work out a pattern for it, but it shouldn't be too hard.  The diagram I posted above would need some tweeking, of course, to get the thing to lay right, but basically, if you measure around your forearm right before the elbow, then add a half-inch, that's the measurement you'll want your cuff portions to be.  You'll cast on that number of stitches and work even until the elbow.  At that point, you'll probably want to work one increase at each edge every right-side row until you've got enough sleeve length to hit right before your shoulder joint.

Then, you'll probably want to do every-right-side-row increases on the "back" side, or maybe even cast on 4-5 stitches for several rows, while at the same time, working another couple every-right-side-row increases on the "front" side.  Then, work the back side even for the actual "back" of the shrug, while the front side will be working a nice, gradual rounded edge set of decreases until you're at the middle of the neck.  Then work everything in reverse until you get to the other cuff. 

After that, seam up your sleeves to the "underarm" and then keep seaming downward until you've got a bit of a side-seam as well.  Pick up stitches all the way around your neck, side and back edges (it'll be one continuous thing) and knit a 1-2" ribbed band. 

I'm not really sure I've got the shaping quite right for the underarm / side seam area.  You might want to take a couple measurements of yourselve and then cut out a big piece of cheap fabric in the approximate shap above, then pin and trim it until you think you've got the shape right and figure our increases from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
so glamorous baby
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005 07:04:39 PM »

Could some one point me in the right direction of tut on how to make this. I've tried looking so I wouldn't have to ask, but everything I find is either too short and fitted, or a poncho. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005 01:40:25 AM »

haha even in something pretty like that she looks like such a fool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
ab615
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2005 09:24:57 PM »

There is shrug pattern in the newest Interweave Knits that is the same shape, but it has a diffrent cable pattern. You could try to base the pattern off of that. Here is a picture of the backhttp://www.royalyarns.com/ptrn/ITW/ITW-Fall-2005/16-cabled-shaw.html

Hope I helped.
                 Alyssa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JazzyBee
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2005 09:46:05 PM »

Phew! this post was some read! Smiley

I noticed that the last comment on this post was on21st. and after reading sooo much abt this shrug, i'am dying to see what you guys came up with. Have youll started it yet? done with it? in the process/ i 'am just so curious to see how it turns out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would just like to thank the academy for nominating me......
buki
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2005 11:59:31 PM »

i like shrugs but... i dunno about shrugs like this... o_o;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2005 12:14:56 AM »

haha she looks like a chicken!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
scarletkittycat
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2005 10:25:23 AM »

I'm not too keen on this one, it looks a bit like a small parachute to me, makes me think of sky diving.

Saying that i am still fairly intrested to see if anyone sucessfuly makes one of these
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005 11:01:46 AM by scarletkittycat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Marshmallows Dipped in Chocolate
The History of Sweetheart Candies
Football Field Dessert Recipe for Super Bowl
How to Make a Super Bowl Dessert-a-Dome
How to Make Fortune Cookies for a Happier Chinese New Year
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...