A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: looking for crochet patterns for a cloche cap from the 20's-30's  (Read 6463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sedna+
« on: July 23, 2005 10:49:16 PM »

My grandmother left me a beautiful dress and coat from that era but in order to look "right" I need to have one of those cloche type hats... btw, I have long hair so I would probly wear it in a bun on the neck so that I could still have the close-to-the-head cap look.  I only really do crochet, and I did a bunch of searches, but got stumped.  I'm thinking of the kind of cap a "flapper grrl" might wear.  Anybody?  I was hopin that if I waited long enough the style would come back "in" but so far, no go.  Thanks in advance everybody!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005 05:20:50 AM »

This may not be a vintage pattern, but it looks like the right style:

http://freecrochetpatterns.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-cloche.html

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
crafty423

this is what happens when my brother messes around

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005 05:34:23 AM »

heres a pattern http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8300.0  hope  you can use it! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" AWE, SWEET A NINJA! WE COULD USE ONE OF THOSE, WE ALREADY HAVE CHUNG LEE "
LRS
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005 08:44:14 AM »

re;  Lion Brand pattern

What a bummer!  (id you check the guage?)

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
crafty423

this is what happens when my brother messes around

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005 04:44:48 PM »

hey bunnirific are you talking about that red valentine cloche? if you are I tried to make it too and was way to big! Angry Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" AWE, SWEET A NINJA! WE COULD USE ONE OF THOSE, WE ALREADY HAVE CHUNG LEE "
cmoore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005 03:26:35 AM »

I have several books from the era, but I do not remember any hat patterns being in them. I do remember that Tams were popular at that time as well...
Is the coat from the 20's or the 30's? Got a pic? There are different types cloches of those two decades.
Not that it really matters of course, I am just curious.

There are hat patterns from the era here and here which you can get from the vintage pattern library.
I'm thinking a sewn hat (they were often fur or suede-I do have a satin one though) would probably suit the style of the coat better than a crocheted one as they were more common, but that's without having seen it of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005 07:12:50 PM »

I love history lessons.  I've always wondered if that beanie people call a cloche really was one.  The word cloche means "bell-shaped" and technically a cloche is a close-fitting hat with a slight bell-shaped brim.  Until the late 1920's, the cloche remained true to it's name, sporting a narrow but obvious brim.  It wasn't until the the new decade was about to break that the brim was lost entirely, and the cloche was relegated to a glorified beanie.  By the mid 1930's even the bell-less remains of the cloche were not much in favor any longer.  Still, though, the brimless cloche was usually stiff felt or fabric.  The crocheted numbers that I am actually quite fond of are really beanies, even if they do remind us of the period.

None of my books from the 1930's have hats in them, and I haven't been fortunate enough to find any books earlier than that.  But BeppyCat's crocheted 'cloche' is a nice pattern, and looks cute on!  (My sis made me one.  Yay!)  I'm sure it would blend with a vintage coat.  There's no reason you can't mingle your decades a little, anyway, right?  But I actually prefer a nice stiff felt cloche, with a pretty little bell-brim.  Feels much more like a flapper to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
sedna+
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005 02:06:59 PM »

thanks, all!  the Lion project looks pretty close to what I had in mind.  Although if I knew how to make felt hats the period pieces that cmoore added would be FANTASTIC.  I will try & figure out the pix posting thing & show the coat & dress soon....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005 04:31:27 AM »

I love history lessons.  I've always wondered if that beanie people call a cloche really was one.  The word cloche means "bell-shaped" and technically a cloche is a close-fitting hat with a slight bell-shaped brim.  Until the late 1920's, the cloche remained true to it's name, sporting a narrow but obvious brim.  It wasn't until the the new decade was about to break that the brim was lost entirely, and the cloche was relegated to a glorified beanie.  By the mid 1930's even the bell-less remains of the cloche were not much in favor any longer.  Still, though, the brimless cloche was usually stiff felt or fabric.  The crocheted numbers that I am actually quite fond of are really beanies, even if they do remind us of the period.

I'd say you are right-I own two cloches, both of which are indeed very bell shaped. I would place the satin one in the mid 20's, though I've never been sure of where the other fits-it's odd looking.  All the pictures I have of the era also feature suede, fabric, buckram etc.
 The real cloches are a bit of a pain, you must walk with your 'nose in the air' as the brim comes so far down onto the eyes it actually obstructs one's vision. The cute beanies (I've always thought of them as skull caps) are much easier to wear but are not as dramatic.

The 30's is my favorite era, and they did indeed wear hats, often of rather bizzare construction. A 'sort of' cloche did exist at the time, had a wide brim at the sides.
Not that any of that matters, just interesting... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005 06:45:16 AM »

Just for anyone else's interest, I love this website:
http://www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair/hats_hair_7_fashion_history_1920_1930.htm

That's the page about hats, cloche's in particular, but the whole site is such a wealth of info!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Pittsburgh Steelers Dynasty, Then and Now
Harriet Evans on the Book That Changed Her Life
Explore the Pacific Northwest in a New Novel by Garth Stein
How to Identify the Foil in a Novel
Book Summery of Huckleberry Finn
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...