A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Telephone Wire Outfit  (Read 7285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2004 12:44:09 AM »

Last year I made an outfit out of telephone wire for the Taos and Santa Fe Recycled Fashion Shows.

I took a seam ripper and ripped open telephone wire. Inside were all these wires in bright colors. I seperated the greens, blues and browns.

I created the design as I crocheted. The skirt was made in four panels then sewn together with more wire. I made the cups of the top and then crocheted straps to connect them. (one around the neck and one for the back)

For my hair I took more wire and braided my hair around it to form the circles. Then I wired old cell phones that I had taken apart into my hair.

In Santa Fe I won first prize!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2004 11:36:54 AM by Twilight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Screw this cheerleader crap: you want to be a hooker."-Wendy McClure, Bust Magazine
My crafting blog:  http://craftingchaos.com
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
Lilitha

~*~Hyper Kawaii Puff Ball~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004 01:04:59 AM »

I wish I can see the image... therez a red x on it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~I Fell In Love When I Fell Down The Stairs~*~
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004 04:43:03 AM »

That's great Twilight!  You're so clever to think of things to do with telephone wire...I've always loved that stuff.  That must be one heavy outfit, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
twilight
Craftista

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004 11:39:24 AM »

Man, this pic was giving me all sorts of problems. I've removed it and posted a better picture. Hope this one shows up!

And yes, it is heavy to wear. Not too bad but I wouldn't want to wear it all night.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004 11:42:05 AM by Twilight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Screw this cheerleader crap: you want to be a hooker."-Wendy McClure, Bust Magazine
Cherry Cola

Do crafts not drugs!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004 01:01:41 PM »

Brilliance!! Shocked

No wonder you won, it looks great. How long did it all take?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask him if he likes fondue and macram.
shes so unusual
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004 01:16:28 PM »

that is fantastic! go you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenthezero
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004 01:43:52 PM »

That is awesome!  It's absolutely insane!  And congratulations on your win...well-deserved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My middle name is Martha!
broadwaybabe_4

I'm in love! (With the right One.)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004 06:32:38 PM »

Man, this pic was giving me all sorts of problems. I've removed it and posted a better picture. Hope this one shows up!

And yes, it is heavy to wear. Not too bad but I wouldn't want to wear it all night.  Smiley

do you think you could put up a tutorial? thats awesome. i made a duct tape outfit complete with skirt, jaket and shirt. and because it was for school, a ductape school bag. its so awesome. next year, im gonna borrow your idea if its ok with you, and make a telephone wire outfit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain. Climb on two by two, to be sure these days continue.
twilight
Craftista

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004 03:02:40 PM »

The outfit took me about a month and a half to make. But that's including lots of breaks because my hands would cramp if I crocheted too long. It is by far my craziest project!

Broadwaybabe, sure I'll post a tutorial. I didn't take pics of the whole process but the ones I have should help. And yes, you can borrow the idea I'd be flattered!

First find yourself a bunch of phone wire.

Then take a seam ripper and cut open the outer casing. You'll want to keep the wire continous (it's a pain to join on more wire so I kept it to a minimum) so wind the seperate pieces on bits of wood. I would cut a chunk of casing, pull out the wires, seperate them and wind and then go back to cutting more casing.

I double crocheted the whole thing with an I hook. It's hard to start, you'll do a lot of tugging at first but the wire does bend and mold well.

The skirt I made in four panels. I sewed it together with more wire then crocheted a brown border on top and bottom.

There's a zipper between one of the brown and blue/green panels. On the top border I extended a bit to make a flap for the bottom hole. No need to make a buttonhole-you can just push the button thru, the wire will bend.

(of course in my geekiness I insisted on the whole thing being 100% recycled-the button, zipper and thread are recycled as well hehe)

You can make yours longer. I started running out of wire so I made the skirt shorter so I'd have enough for the top. I wouldn't suggest too much longer though. Even though my skirt was short it was still heavy.

For the top I started each cup at the bottom. I chained across until it looked like it would cover my breast. Then I crocheted a few rows. To make the cups "poof" out I did two stitches together a couple times in a row near the middle. It was sort of made up as I went along but you'll see the cup starting to form and can add more stitches in the middle area as needed. When it's poofed at enough stop adding extra stitches and crochet as normal. I also decreased on the ends to form a rounded shape. I did a row of brown on the outside to round out the cups.

For the straps I just made a chain I thought was long enough and just crocheted until I got the thickness that looked good. I then sewed the straps on with wire. For the closure I wired on a button and made a wire loop on the other side.

Here's a pic that shows the neck and back straps.

Note: Since the wire is heavy it stretches. I had to dart the neck and back straps which was a pain. When I wore the outfit at the Taos show (the pics with my hair down) the skirt stretched from the weight and rode lower than I had intended. I threaded wire thru the top row of the skirt to tighten it up. It stretched out again at the Santa Fe show (pics with my wild hair) but didn't ride as low.

Here's another pic. You can see the outfit better and my hair. The cell phones have little screws you need to undo and there's lots of cool material inside. Notice I made rings from the tinier parts.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004 03:07:57 PM by Twilight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

itsmartinitime
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004 12:17:43 PM »

Great stuff! that is truely nifty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Low Ponytail
How to Manage Long Hair in Hot Weather
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
How to Condition Hair
How to Know When You Should Cut Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...