A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
284 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: karate belts  (Read 6580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greengirlak
« on: July 22, 2005 03:47:11 PM »

So...I was helping to clean out my dojo a few weeks ago and we went through this buket of used karate belts, mostly for kids...and we had 6 million of them, so we were going to throw a bunch away and I thought, surely there's a crafty project in there somewhere, eh?  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of purse straps, but they're darn thick to sew through...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theblackplague
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005 07:17:36 PM »

What are they made of?  If they're a sort of nylon-ish type material, they may melt...you could do something like that, like melt them together for a purse...i dunno, that's probably just the pyro in me... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zieak
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005 01:09:36 AM »

How about weaving them into a doormat? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my personal site: Ryan McFarland
greengirlak
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005 02:20:11 PM »

Zieak, a doormat is a fun idea!  There was talk of a braided rug...but that seemed like much too much work.  A doormat it is!

blackplague: They're made of cotton, but they're really thick...so I'm not even sure that my sewing machine would like to sew them together.

thanks for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zengrrl

The Blue Morpho Goddess

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005 08:25:43 AM »

Don't know if you're into yoga but I use them for yoga straps--you know, for stretching your legs out supported. Also they make very strong tie-downs for tying things to the roof of your car. I keep a couple in my trunk. I know these suggestions are more practical than crafty, but you are right in not throwing those belts out. They are quite strong and useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Is doing the hokey-pokey and turning yourself around really what it's all about?
silencepainter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005 09:00:35 AM »

I'd sugest leaving a few at the dojo if you don't already have some spare belts there.  FOr when little ones forget their belt, or bring a friend to try it out (so the friend doesn't feel left out).

Also a lot of places put tied up belts on display, though you probably already have that.  I know mine had one of each belt up, and under it a sign that said what the belt stood for (strength, endurance, concentration, etc). 

I'm tempted to tell you to see if a needle for denim can sew through them.. but they are thicker than jeans.

I love the dormat idea. 

Perhaps use them to hang stuff up with?  Might make a neat design to have them hanging down on a wall with something interesting and colorful hanging from them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
greengirlak
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005 04:20:02 PM »

We have what seems like a MILLION spare belts at the dojo, which is why we finally decided to part with some of them. 

I love the "tying stuff to the car" idea.  My husband is going to get such a kick out of that...but then what would we do with all our old climbing ropes!??!? (which we already keep in the backs of our cars to tie stuff down with.)

I'll probably end up trying to sew through them, just because I'm stubborn like that. I'll keep you posted. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little_hobbit_feet
Jane of all trades, master of none.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005 04:29:26 PM »

If you're going to sew through them, probably invest in one of those sharp-as-hell leatherworking needles, or you're going to wind up with finger-damage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005 10:40:23 PM »

I'm not sure if yours are long enough, but I have some that I'm thinking of making into guitar straps.  I'm thinking that I'll just punch holes into each end and then stitch the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xtalkischeapx
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005 03:18:29 PM »

KARATE HAMMOCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey your bike makes me want to crack my head open so all the angels can fly out and heal everybody!

www.myspace.com/blackbomb
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...