A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 307,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
290 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EYELETS - help  (Read 820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eowynmn
Supergirl

Hello Nurse!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2005 05:49:00 AM »

I'm making my first corset and I need to add eyelets. 

The lady told me I could use my scrapbook eyelet pounder and what not.  I'm fairly confident that will work, but has anyone done it.

ALSO, how big should I make the holes in the fabric/are there any tricks you know - or know where you could point me?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005 06:14:34 AM »

The size and style of the eyelet that you are using will determine how you set them. And the size and style depend on how you are going to be lacing. If you are lacing for style use whatever's easiest for you to use. If you are lacing for constriction you will need heavier grommets and its good to add extra boning around them so they don't "pull". The fabric store should have grommet punches that match the grommets that they have. The ones with hand grips look like paper punches , and I have found them hard to use on heavier  or stretchy fabrics. They also have ones that look like stamps that you hit with a hammer. You can put grommets on a tent with those. As for the holes, it's just common sense start as small as you can. On small grommets I would just kinda stab the fabric with an exacto knife.  If you are planning on satin stitching around the metal to cover it you dont need to worry about cutting fabric out of the hole.
Bear in mind, I've never made an "official" corset. But I'm enough of a geek that in college I worked Renn  Fairs for a few years and had to fake and make many outfits where the corsetting and lacing took long hard beatings cause I'm not a tiny girl.
Good Luck and once you get it, you'll start replacing your buttons with grommets cause they are so much easier to set in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005 06:24:50 AM »

Okay, I'm weirded out now!   (Not necessarily in a BAD way, just a weird way)

When I read this post, I thought it sounded awfully familiar... As in, something that happened to me yesterday.

If you live in MN, then I'm the "lady that told" you.  I looked through your posts, and your pictures look like you may just be the gal I told about the scrapbooking eyelet setter.  (For the record, THIS is where I heard you could do it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eowynmn
Supergirl

Hello Nurse!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005 07:47:56 AM »

omigod - Do you work at the Joann's in Bloomington!?!?

hah freaky!

And not that your advice wasn't great - I just like extra advice...I get nervous.

woah, small world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005 07:49:18 AM »

Techincally Edina, but YEAH!

I didn't take it as untrusting... I'm totally the same way.  I get advice, then I hunt out more on the internet.

I'm sure we'll cross paths again, but this is SO weird!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eowynmn
Supergirl

Hello Nurse!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005 08:04:31 AM »

Talk about small world.

You'd be so proud of me.  I sewed in my boning and everything.  It was easier than I thought actually. 
Anyway, thanks for your help last night.

I think I'm going to practice on some of the extra material before I do the final project as the corset took me 5 hours last night. (UGH!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005 08:52:59 AM »

You definitely need to post pictures or bring them into the store.  I'm there practically every day :-P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eowynmn
Supergirl

Hello Nurse!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005 10:21:38 AM »

Oh I did it! The scrapbook technique worked but I used a mini hole punch to punch my holes and my fingers hurt owwie!

I will post pictures when I can get someone to lace it up properly for me
and take them.  It looks pretty kick ass though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005 11:44:22 AM »

Yay!  That's great.  I can't wait for pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Butternut Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...