A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bent needles!  (Read 783 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fizzysister
« on: July 22, 2005 03:28:38 AM »

I've managed to sit on, or stand on, or otherwise bend most of my straight knitting needles, and I was wondering if there is any way of straightening them, or do I have to just put up with the results of my clumsiness and use them bent?

I've tried just bending them back but they either don't move at all, or bend in another place to get a great zig zag look. They're just normal grey metal, fairly cheap ones. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emxxx
bella_violet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005 07:47:36 AM »

If they were bent enough to be bothersome...I'd just get new ones...

I've managed to curve a pair of 13" bamboo needles...but that was from being jabbed into a ball of yarn for months on end...after using them for a bit they started straightening out a bit...but I wouldn't know how to straighten metal needles especially seeing that they are hollow and prone to collapsing when bent...

sorry I'm not much help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005 08:03:35 AM »

How 'bout rolling them straight?

Heat the metal a little bit--- just with your hands should be enough (you wanna 'relax' it so it's not as brittle just in case...)  Then place it on a hard FLAT surface (I'm thinking kitchen counter top)- and roll the needle along the surface--- the 'bent' portion would be like a 'hump' with the rolling needle--- just keep rolling it and applying steady pressure--- work your way from one side then the other---  that should lessen the stress on the hollow needle...  Keep goin' until there's no more 'hump' to it--- then it's straight.

lather.  rinse.  repeat.

(do the same for the other- and you should have 2 straight needles...  I caution you, though--- that they will never be as strong as they were originally and will be prone to bending again.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005 12:14:41 PM »

I remember in high school I used to make oodles of those toothbrush bracelets by heating the plastic in a pot of boiling water so that it was so flexible that i could bend it around my wrist...plastic is different than metal, but maybe you could do the same to heat it and then cover it with a towel so you don't burn yourself and bend it back in shape.

Wow, longest run-on sentance ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mols

The Holy Grail - of sorts . . . .

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005 01:37:40 PM »

I'd say hot sand would be better than hot water .  . . .  Optometrists have a little pot of hot sand that they dip the ear piece of your glasses into to bend it back into shape if you've say . . . been hit in the face with a volleyball a couple times . . . and yea - i know from experience.

not sure how you'd heat the sand though.  maybe you could use hot dry rice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.
thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005 01:56:57 PM »

I wouldn't get too crazy over heating the suckers to be honest--- I was just suggesting to warm them--- thinking they might be of aluminum or another more ductile metal, you don't want them to approach the point of 'breakage'--- think of how you can bend a paper clip back and forth a few times and snap it- same principle---   warming the metal will prep it to take a new shape-- but the warmth from friction in your hands should be enough...  Please, don't burn yourself!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
fizzysister
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005 05:28:30 AM »

Thanks for the ideas guys! thommoose I've tried your idea, but I can't get it to roll properly! It seems to have made a bit of a difference though, the heat from my hands is definitely enough to make it move gradually. thanks!
And bella_violet, I would go and get new ones but I'm a poor student. And these are still perfectly usable, it just offends my slightly anal and obsessive tendencies to have bent needles!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emxxx
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
This Inspiring Video Shows That Makeup Has an Empowering Effect on Women
How to Get The Perfect Spray Tan at Home
5 Beauty Tips and Trends for Prom
One-Stop Shop for the Best in Beauty
Burgundy Eyes and Lips Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...