A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,500
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Sophie Bag  (Read 2555 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaireAine
« on: July 21, 2005 07:12:16 PM »

OK ... I'm knitting the Sophie Bag, and for some reason am completely stumped as to how to get past the base.  The base is done, and now I'm supposed to pick up and knit each side, which is fine, except I can't wrap my head around whether I continue to use the circular needle (16") that I used for the base, or do I switch to the dpn's.  And if I use the circular's, then how do I pick up and knit anything, when the circular is so short.  I'm sure that this is very simple .... I just can't see it!

Help!

Mary Ann
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005 07:44:26 AM »

I just did something similar with the Booga bag I'm working on. Hope this helps...

Knit with your circs, unless you prefer DPNs. What I did was use a DPN to pick up the stitch w/ my left hand (starting at the far right) and knit it with the circ. That way it was less awkward and the stitch was on the circ exactly where I wanted it.

It's kind of like reading backwards. Here's the bottom, with the live stitches at the top. The capital X is my current live stitch. I turn the work so the A's are at the top and pick up a1 w/ my DPN and knit it w/ the circ that is holding X. Then I just go in a circle, throught the a's, then the cast-on row, then the b's, ending at top right.

Xlivelivelivelivelivelivexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
a1                                                     b
a2                                                     b
a3                                                     b
a4                                                     b
castoncastoncastonxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am suddenly afraid I've confused you more. Pictures just work better for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005 04:38:07 PM »

cat lady, im not currently knitting a bag but your instructions make sense to me (im a visual person too)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaireAine
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005 11:10:56 PM »

I think I see it!!  Will try tomorrow and see what happens!! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crochet hooker12
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005 02:32:52 PM »

I'm knitting this bag as we speak and I had the same question. That makes total sense to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
MaireAine
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005 10:00:44 PM »

The directions totally helped me!  Thank you!  The bag is finished and is awaiting embellishment (flowers) and felting!  Will post pics when completed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005 06:17:49 AM »

Yeah!! Glad it helped!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wallflower88
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005 03:20:47 PM »

I just can't wrap my head around some of the instructions.

1. When binding off, how do you bind off 29 sts, place 6 sts on a holder, and continue to bind off?  When I first tried to do this, the bound off sts scrunched together.  Do the instructions really mean to say: bind off 29 sts, bind off 6 sts, place 6 sts on holder, bind 29 sts...?

2. Once the first i-cord is made, the working yarn is still attached to that cord.  How do you work another i-cord originating from the same side of the bag as the first i-cord when this is the case?  It seems to me you would need to break the yarn. 

Please help!  And pictures would be even better. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005 03:27:00 PM »

I can't help w/ all of it. But I can tell you that the felting process covers a multitude of mistakes.

You have to break the yarn to do the second strap, that much I know. Then twist them together and graft them to the other side.

Where I got stuck was moving the 6 stitches to the 2  markers then binding off the next 29 stitches (or so -- I did a modified version). The yarn crossed over and it looked really messy. I worked around it by breaking the yarn, moving 6 stitches, then picking up the yarn again just to bind off. It wasn't perfect, but it was all I could think of. Once it was felted, it looked fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005 04:12:07 PM »

Wallflower -
1 - you bind off 29 stitches - then knit 6 stitches - take those 6 stitches off the right needle and place them on a stitch holder - bind off the next 29 stitches - knit 3 stitches and place them on a stitch holder - knit the last three and transfer to a double point to do the I-cord.

2 - After you finish the first I-cord place the stitches on a stitch holder (or leave on one double point if you have two more to knit the second I-cord with) break the yarn. Reattach yarn and knit an I-cord with the 3 stitches on the stich holder at the base of the first I-cord. Once you finish the second I-cord twist the 2 I-cords together, place the stitches together on one needle and grath to the 6 stitches still on the stitch holder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sautéed Collard Greens Recipe
How to Make a Beautiful Bouquet of Chocolate Bacon Roses
How To Make Chili With A Chocolate Twist
How To Make A Valentine’s Day Dinner With Aphrodisiacs
Your Next 21 Meals Planned by Chef Ryan Scott
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...