A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
805 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Headbands and Scarfbands-- New with Picture Tutorial, First One.  (Read 49339 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2005 06:48:43 PM »

Went shopping today and ran across some really cute headbands that look like scarves when you put them on your head, after reading posts decided I should try to make it instead of spending 25 bucks on one... The pucci-esque print one is the one I was really wanting to make, the others are more just trials to try to get it right.  I am going to make another one out of the Pucci fabric because my head is too big for this one and I want it to look more like a scarf.

All the headbands

Hello Kitty

Boho Burlap

Pucci-esque w/fake ties

I was playing around with the closures, used elastic in casing and plain black heavy duty hair elastics.  The scarfbands at the store had something similar to that and I think they are just so much easier.  Let me know what you think.

NEW !!!! Tutorial

You'll need just a small amount of fabric and a sturdy elastic hair band (the ones without the metal).

1. Measure around your head to the nape of your neck where your headband would be.  My measurement was 22" <--Big head.
2. You will want a rectangle of fabric that is double the width of what you want your headband to end up (+ seam allow), and length of about circumfrence of your head, minus ~3 inches (to allow for the elastic band you will add and a little stretch).  Cut it on the fabric fold, I cut a rectangle 10 x 5.5" .  After that is cut, measure in on the bottom ends in about 1/2 "  on each side and mark, draw a line up to the top corners and you will have a tapered rectangle.  Unfold and that is the base of your headband.
3. Pin right sides together and sew a seam with whatever seam allowance you like.  Press that seam lightly, so when you turn it inside out it wont get all bunched.
4. Turn tube inside out and press well with the seam down the center of the band.  The band is done!

5.  If you dont want "ties" you can always just sew it on to the elastic hair band now.  But for the ties you will need 4 pieces of another tapered rectangle shape.  I did mine each about 12" long, 4.5" wide at top and 6" at the bottom.  Do these any shape you want, I am going to have fun playing around with this.
6. Use a ruler to draw a line up at an angle from the bottom corner of the rectangles if you would like a pointed edge on your "ties."
7. Pin right sides together for both ties and sew.  Cut corners for easier turning.  Turn rightside out.
8. Once again, Press Well!  Fold under the ends of your band piece, as in the picture, create a finished edge look and insert your tie's unfinished end into that opening.  Pin and sew both ties on.
9. Thread tie through your elastic band and sew a casing around it, I sewed on the same line I  used to connect the pieces.  Do this with the other side as well, making sure you are sewing with your ties facing the same direction.

I like this one so much better!  Shown here with my hair up and down.  You can leave the ties just hanging (my pony tail covered the elastic band), or tie the ties in a knot if your hair is too short (MAKE LONGER TIES) It's super cute. I'm so wearing it today!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 08:17:00 AM by aschnebly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neliamne
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005 06:55:30 PM »

I love them!  Could you post a tutorial?
They're so awesome!  And cute!  Yay, fun hair things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quietuspixi
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005 08:44:21 PM »

wahoooo! i'm addicted to hairbands the more the merrier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafti_gal
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005 09:06:25 PM »

If you make a bunch of these, I predict that you will sell them all!!!
A very good idea, it beats the heck outta payin $25
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005 08:42:09 AM »

I'll try to work on a tutorial of some sort today, since I need to make another one anyways, plus I was thinking of making some for gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethyG

bang bang bang. the bigger, the better.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005 08:58:50 AM »

oh wow. yes a tutorial please! i love these. i have relatively short hair and am often looking for things to do with it. you did a lovely job on those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The boys i mean are not refined
They cannot chat of that and this
They do not give a fart for art
They kill like you would take a piss
They speak whatever's on their mind
They do whatever's in their pants
The boys i mean are not refined
They shake the mountains when they dance
mel-my-issa

f*** it dude, let's go bowling.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005 09:03:41 AM »

Those are so cute! I have seen them in stores but $25 bucks?  Huh No way!

Which closure did you find worked the best? I can't wait for a tutorial!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005 02:12:32 PM »

Just added the tutorial, let me know how it goes... I will be making more of these very soon I am sure!

The ones I saw were at Nordstrom and were real silk.  I just used $4 "silky print" fabric from Jo-Ann.  It has the silk front and the cotton like back, soooo much easier to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dianac
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005 02:23:25 PM »

Wow! Thanks so much for the tutorial.  I'm going to try to make my own as soon as I get the hair bands.  Yours look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digsy LaRaspberry

Voracious eater of music

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005 02:37:09 PM »

Wow, they're great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
California Hamburger Recipe
Inside Out Cheeseburger Recipe
Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon Recipe
Chili Dogs with Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
Burger Bar Tips and Quick Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...