A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Headbands and Scarfbands-- New with Picture Tutorial, First One.  (Read 48642 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2005 06:48:43 PM »

Went shopping today and ran across some really cute headbands that look like scarves when you put them on your head, after reading posts decided I should try to make it instead of spending 25 bucks on one... The pucci-esque print one is the one I was really wanting to make, the others are more just trials to try to get it right.  I am going to make another one out of the Pucci fabric because my head is too big for this one and I want it to look more like a scarf.

All the headbands

Hello Kitty

Boho Burlap

Pucci-esque w/fake ties

I was playing around with the closures, used elastic in casing and plain black heavy duty hair elastics.  The scarfbands at the store had something similar to that and I think they are just so much easier.  Let me know what you think.

NEW !!!! Tutorial

You'll need just a small amount of fabric and a sturdy elastic hair band (the ones without the metal).

1. Measure around your head to the nape of your neck where your headband would be.  My measurement was 22" <--Big head.
2. You will want a rectangle of fabric that is double the width of what you want your headband to end up (+ seam allow), and length of about circumfrence of your head, minus ~3 inches (to allow for the elastic band you will add and a little stretch).  Cut it on the fabric fold, I cut a rectangle 10 x 5.5" .  After that is cut, measure in on the bottom ends in about 1/2 "  on each side and mark, draw a line up to the top corners and you will have a tapered rectangle.  Unfold and that is the base of your headband.
3. Pin right sides together and sew a seam with whatever seam allowance you like.  Press that seam lightly, so when you turn it inside out it wont get all bunched.
4. Turn tube inside out and press well with the seam down the center of the band.  The band is done!

5.  If you dont want "ties" you can always just sew it on to the elastic hair band now.  But for the ties you will need 4 pieces of another tapered rectangle shape.  I did mine each about 12" long, 4.5" wide at top and 6" at the bottom.  Do these any shape you want, I am going to have fun playing around with this.
6. Use a ruler to draw a line up at an angle from the bottom corner of the rectangles if you would like a pointed edge on your "ties."
7. Pin right sides together for both ties and sew.  Cut corners for easier turning.  Turn rightside out.
8. Once again, Press Well!  Fold under the ends of your band piece, as in the picture, create a finished edge look and insert your tie's unfinished end into that opening.  Pin and sew both ties on.
9. Thread tie through your elastic band and sew a casing around it, I sewed on the same line I  used to connect the pieces.  Do this with the other side as well, making sure you are sewing with your ties facing the same direction.

I like this one so much better!  Shown here with my hair up and down.  You can leave the ties just hanging (my pony tail covered the elastic band), or tie the ties in a knot if your hair is too short (MAKE LONGER TIES) It's super cute. I'm so wearing it today!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 08:17:00 AM by aschnebly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neliamne
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005 06:55:30 PM »

I love them!  Could you post a tutorial?
They're so awesome!  And cute!  Yay, fun hair things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quietuspixi
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005 08:44:21 PM »

wahoooo! i'm addicted to hairbands the more the merrier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafti_gal
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005 09:06:25 PM »

If you make a bunch of these, I predict that you will sell them all!!!
A very good idea, it beats the heck outta payin $25
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005 08:42:09 AM »

I'll try to work on a tutorial of some sort today, since I need to make another one anyways, plus I was thinking of making some for gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethyG

bang bang bang. the bigger, the better.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005 08:58:50 AM »

oh wow. yes a tutorial please! i love these. i have relatively short hair and am often looking for things to do with it. you did a lovely job on those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The boys i mean are not refined
They cannot chat of that and this
They do not give a fart for art
They kill like you would take a piss
They speak whatever's on their mind
They do whatever's in their pants
The boys i mean are not refined
They shake the mountains when they dance
mel-my-issa

f*** it dude, let's go bowling.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005 09:03:41 AM »

Those are so cute! I have seen them in stores but $25 bucks?  Huh No way!

Which closure did you find worked the best? I can't wait for a tutorial!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005 02:12:32 PM »

Just added the tutorial, let me know how it goes... I will be making more of these very soon I am sure!

The ones I saw were at Nordstrom and were real silk.  I just used $4 "silky print" fabric from Jo-Ann.  It has the silk front and the cotton like back, soooo much easier to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dianac
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005 02:23:25 PM »

Wow! Thanks so much for the tutorial.  I'm going to try to make my own as soon as I get the hair bands.  Yours look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digsy LaRaspberry

Voracious eater of music

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005 02:37:09 PM »

Wow, they're great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neliamne
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005 05:46:29 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial!
My hair is in that 'in-between' phase where it doesn't all stay in a ponytail, but I can't stand it in my face all day!
Now I just have to go to JoAnn's for fabric...yay!
THANK YOU for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005 08:07:45 AM »

those are wonderful! i was thinking of making a new headband, because i'm now addicted. but i didnt even think of using a ponytail holder for closure! thanks so much! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005 05:27:26 PM »

Here is like the easiest thing ever...

Take a scarf--this is an old one from Goodwill.  Tie ends to the hairband and adjust to your headsize, and you have a scarf that will stay in place!  and without sewing and you can adjust the width and everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xohilzroxox
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005 07:45:25 PM »

so cute. and they look especially cute on you with your hair down!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005 08:32:20 PM »

adorable. I'll be using this tutorial sometime...I guarantee you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
xXcherrie-lynnXx
aka Pink Kittie

Just Let Me Craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005 08:37:49 PM »

very adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005 08:52:21 PM »

Take a scarf--this is an old one from Goodwill.  Tie ends to the hairband and adjust to your headsize, and you have a scarf that will stay in place!  and without sewing and you can adjust the width and everything.

woah woah woah woah woah, why didn't anyone tell me about this before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
mayerlove
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005 09:29:11 AM »

did i forget to tell you i love your hair? well i do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005 10:02:51 AM »

Haha Thanks!  It used to be long and blonde so it's quite a change...  but after I had a baby I just couldn't deal with all the maintenance...

Oh and the "whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa..." post up above totally reminds me of a family guy episode...
Too funny...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnds1992
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005 03:59:29 AM »

Thanks for the tute, I am going to try and make some of these for presents for friends.

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005 10:03:34 AM »

Oh and the "whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa..." post up above totally reminds me of a family guy episode...
Too funny...
I barely ever watch tv....but I love family guy when I do get the time...(hardly ever). "whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa" is my new thing...I say it all the time  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006 07:51:54 PM »

*sigh*  if only I had come across this post BEFORE getting rid of my goodwill "made from too slippery material" scarves........must buy more........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
o lets rewind
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006 08:26:29 PM »

I love these and can never find them anywhere, so now I'll just have to make my own. Thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K_lox
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006 02:18:57 PM »

! Those are gorgeous. I especially like the hello kitty one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mata
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006 10:17:34 AM »

Hey aschnebly!
I found this post because someone in the ongoing wish swap requested some "aschnebly headbands".. lol
I'd like to say.. 1) your headbands are cool and you look very pretty! 2) now I know what Pucci fabric is like...... and it's not like the one I picked for my sewing projects for you  Shocked
I hope you'll like it anyway!!
C-ya soon  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006 10:31:15 AM »

I am sure I will looove it Smiley  Like I said I have a wide variety of likes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006 07:46:53 AM »

Superb - saw these in the shops this weekend for about 8 a piece, and thiught they had to be easy.  Thanks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mixi
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006 11:30:59 AM »

those are really great!
gotta make me some now..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkyourmind
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006 09:42:29 PM »

wow thanks for the great idea of a hairtie in the back, I think I'll try that. and that Hello Kitty fabric is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Nothing is more pleasant than to utter a pink word and see someone's eyes light up and know it is a pink word for him or her too"
tamara-loves-monkeys

Sock Monkey Love!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006 12:36:37 PM »

I love the fake tie idea!!! I love that kinda thing, but whenever I really tie a scarf like that it's not very comfortable!

Thanks for the tutorial! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making stuff is good for you!
http://www.SockMonkey.net
dancesalone
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006 03:04:34 PM »

those are amazing.  I love the fabric. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am still living with your ghost
lonely and dreaming of the west coast...
morbid_angel
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006 03:46:54 PM »

i love them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's not the end that i fear with each breath, its life that scares me to death...
shewilldieyoung.
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006 11:04:45 PM »

oh my gosh, i'm completely in love!
wow.
ahh i have to make some!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.wists.com/shewilldieyoung

I will be out of state until February. I may be able to check emails periodically so if you need me, it would be more timely to email me. Thanks. ANY OWED SWAP PACKAGES WILL GO OUT BEFORE I LEAVE.
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006 07:33:48 AM »

Thanks!  These replies have reminded me I need to make more of these!  I can only find one of the ones I made last year...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefferoni
cinderelly cinderelly

mini me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006 10:51:05 PM »

my daughter thanks you!! i, alas, have a really odd-shaped head..that doesn't take well to headbands of any sort..so i just drool.. Tongue  thankies for the tute, though. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

will do personal swaps, please.  i have tons of fabrics..you have?? wanna trade?

www.mangojellie.ets y.com

"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes."
TomAcina
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006 03:15:29 PM »

those are great! fabulous work.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftdabbler UK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006 01:00:03 PM »

I saw your no-sew tute and thought it looked great so I tried it out and wore my scarf headband to work today.  It was so comfortable with the elastic - brilliant!    Grin 

Normally, it is very uncomfortable just to tie a scarf - it starts off too tight and then gets loose and falls off...constant retying soon makes it look scruffy.  Embarrassed

Everyone admired it so I showed them how to do it and got them all to look at your tute (potential new Friends of Craftster there!)   Wink

I suspect that tomorrow the scarf headband will be the unofficial new uniform!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennLee
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006 11:33:42 PM »

I'd never even thought of using hair ties to keep it on... that's genius! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2006 03:38:27 PM »

I saw your no-sew tute and thought it looked great so I tried it out and wore my scarf headband to work today.  It was so comfortable with the elastic - brilliant!    Grin 

Normally, it is very uncomfortable just to tie a scarf - it starts off too tight and then gets loose and falls off...constant retying soon makes it look scruffy.  Embarrassed

Everyone admired it so I showed them how to do it and got them all to look at your tute (potential new Friends of Craftster there!)   Wink

I suspect that tomorrow the scarf headband will be the unofficial new uniform!   Shocked

Yay! I am so glad that you found that helpful, I think it is definetly the easiest way to wear as scarf since my hair is so slick it is always sliding off, and I hate to keep retying too!

I'd love to see pics of anyones headbands and scarfbands if you make 'em Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007 11:53:46 AM »

Yessss! You've made my day!!  Grin I've been searching for a tutorial for these!! Thanks a bunch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
caradee
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007 07:27:32 AM »

I have a questions about wearing them... I never seem to be able to get fabric headbands to stay on... it feels like the back of my head is to flat and there really isn't a spot for the fabric to sit?

Is that weird?  Do you think I could still wear these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009 10:38:50 PM »

Ok, I know its a weird question... but, how do you wear these?
I love the look of them but I somehow don't seem to tie it correctly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
besos_tan_dulces
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009 06:08:01 PM »

I can't wait to make a few of these for my niece! She donated her hair to locks of love, but now she's left with this overwhelming poof of curls all around her face. Once I make her a few headbands, we'd be able to see her beautiful face thru the curls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Expecting mini-De or mini-Mo on Dec 24, 2010!
mabeswife

Marrying is easy; it's housework that's hard.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009 02:25:59 PM »

I made one today, without the knot and hangy-down-thingies because I had issues with stuff up under my hair line. Anything underneath makes my hair bump up and look silly so I just sewed on the hair band and was done. It's so cute but I have an oddly shaped head and it's not perfection. It does keep the hair out of my eyes and I have to wear glasses, so fabric works best for me. Next time, i'm going taper it more so that the ends that meet up with the hair band are skinnier. Like I said, my head and hair are weird.

P.S. Pay no attention to the ugly bath board in my bathroom. Our house was built in the 60s. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It sometimes happens that a woman is handsomer at twenty-nine than she was ten years before." ~Jane Austen

http://theseamrippers.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/mabeswife
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set for Copy Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Backlight Scene
Canon A610/A620: Getting Started
Learn how to Share Photos from a Digital Camera
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...