A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,512
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bread Pudding recipe needed  (Read 2565 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , bread_pudding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

selainek
« on: July 21, 2005 02:30:19 PM »

I want to make my husband bread pudding for his birthday so your best recipes are needed.  I don't personally eat it but he says he likes the kind with "sauce" but doesn't have any guesses as to what's in it.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
makeene
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005 06:09:21 PM »

We use a few different recipes that we've gotten from this website:
 http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/puddings.html

My son likes the non-alcoholic version of Bread Pudding with Carmel Sauce, my DH likes the Bread Pudding with Raspberry/Strawberry Drizzle and I prefer the Sweet Rice Pudding. With any of the recipes that call for Curants we substitute raisins instead. Without knowing what the sauce he's had its hard to say which one to make for him but maybe this will give you some ideas to share with him and maybe he can choose one to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selainek
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005 07:15:13 AM »

Thanks for the link!  I'm thinking the one with caramel sauce is the type he's familiar with.  He loves raisins so I'll definitely try your substitution.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paty_Floriano
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005 09:35:16 AM »

Hi!!
I am from Brazil and this is a very popular (and delicious) recipe of bread pudding - plus, it has a caramel sauce. But I have to warn you that it's a little different from the bread puddings you guys eat in America - the texture is very soft and you must eat it iced

8 or 9 slices of bread, crushed
1/2 liter milk (500 ml)
1 can (395g.) of condensed milk
3 eggs
4 or 5 drops of vanilla extract (or more, if you love vanilla as much as I do)
1 tablespoon wheat flour

CARAMEL SAUCE:
2 cups sugar

Put the sugar of the sauce in a pan and let it melt (use a very light "fire"), don't let it burn or ir will be bitter. Pour the sauce in a pan with a whole in the center (those people use to bake fruit cakes) and let it cool, while you prepare the pudding itself.
For the pudding:
Mix the bread with the milk and let it stand until it's soft. Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix them really well. Pour the mixture into the pan (it doens't matter the temperature of the sauce) and take it to the oven - put the pan inside one filled with water - I think you guys call it "double boiler" (excuse my English, pls...)
Bake it 50-60 minutes, then let it cool completely. After that, you can turn the pan upside down and take the pudding out of it. It will look beautiful with the sauce on top and it's really good... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selainek
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005 10:14:21 AM »

Thanks for the recipe!  I really like how the caramel topping is put in the pan first and baked with the bread pudding...it seems alot easier than making a seperate sauce.

Thanks again for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005 01:19:10 PM »

i've never made this, but i found this posted somewhere and thought it looked good and have been hanging on to it eve since:

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce

Bread pudding
2 cups half and half
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
1 cup (packed) plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 cups 1/2-inch cubes french bread or challah
1/2 cup golden raisins

Caramel sauce
1 1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream

For bread pudding: Preheat oven to 350F. Whisk half and half, pumpkin, dark brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and vanilla extract in large bowl to blend. Fold in bread cubes. Stir in golden raisins. Transfer mixture to 11x7-inch baking dish. Let stand at least 15 minutes, up to overnight. Bake pumpkin bread pudding until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce: Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Whisk in cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes.

Serve warm with caramel sauce.

(For some reason, when I made this, I needed an extra half-batch of the pumpkin/half & half mixture to make it wet enough. The bread should soak up the liquid, but be wettish when you bake it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
selainek
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005 02:11:45 PM »

Mmmm...I ususally don't like Bread Pudding but that recipe with pumpkin and brown sugar sounds wonderful.  It might even take the place of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving!  Thanks for the great recipe Smiley

-susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005 04:42:06 AM »

My favorite is to make a basic bread pudding, and bake in some inserted fresh raspberries and white chocolate chips. The mix up some ganache (equal parts of cream and white chocolate melted together) to drizzle over. Nummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myrLegacy
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005 07:35:20 PM »

i really loved sizzler's bread pudding -- the ones i've been to lately don't have it anymore  Angry  does anyone have a really thick, heavy bread pudding recipe?  i tried one from better homes and gardens, but it was too light and fluffy for my taste.  thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McAuliflower
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005 01:24:02 AM »

I'm not too familiar with Bread Puddin...but Crafty Chef, your flavors sound delish!

Did anyone see the Paula Dean episode where she made bread pudding out of Krispy Kreme doughnuts?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pintura and Curly Styling
A Curly Hairstyle for an Evening Look
Festive Holiday Hairstyles
How to Get a Quick Top Knot by Percy and Reed
How to Get a Quick Up Do by Percy and Reed
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...