A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,913
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Sack sweater  (Read 9403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jules
« on: April 02, 2004 11:40:54 AM »

Hey y'all--here is my take on the Big Sack sweater.  The sizing was a little funky, but I'm pleased w/ the finished project.  I used Jaeger "Chamonix"yarn--a merino wool/angora blend.  Soo soft, and perfect for all this crappy weather we are having in the East.  Cheers!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
emling
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004 11:44:37 AM »

Beautiful, jules.

I've been hesitant to make the Sack Sweater because I was worried the fit would be a bit, well, sack-y.  Yours looks rather slim and sleek.  What size did you use, and (if you don't mind a personal question), what size are you? Did you make any modifications to the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittermagoo
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004 01:26:34 PM »

so cute, so cute!  This pattern has been on my "someday" list for a while, but now it has moved up a few notches.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
jules
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004 07:07:51 AM »

Thanks for the kind words folks.  This sweater knitted up on the whole really easy.

Emling, I, too was worried about a "garbage sack" shape at first.  So I went to the pattern designer's website www.girlfromauntie.com to check out any errata /comments about the sweater, and learned that the size the model is wearing in the book is L.  I run a S in most stuff, generally speaking, and since the name of the pattern is Big Sack Sweater, I decided to make the small, with the understanding that every size should be oversized somewhat.   The arms and the width came out great, but it quickly became evident that the length was going to be way too short.  So I went w/the  dimensions for the medium size for the length, and kept everything else the same for the small size.  Worked out fine, save for still a teeny bit too short for my taste!  Blocking the sweater really well fixed the shape--I pulled it vertically to slim the sides and elongate the body, and it worked like a charm.  The finished length is 23" from the bottom to just where the collar begins from the cable , which is actually the finished length measurements for size XL.   Works for me though.  I say go for it--I'm going to make a second one for a friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004 07:32:28 AM »

Jules -

Was this really difficult or just a little confusing to get your head around? I am wondering if I should put this off for a little while. I have read all of the posts on www.girlfromauntie.com and I am a little affraid with all the errata and stuff. The Banff sweater that she is suggesting instead really does nothing for me. I bought some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino on eBay to make this sweater and I want it to last for quite a while.

Cheers,
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emling
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004 10:03:43 AM »

So I went w/the  dimensions for the medium size for the length, and kept everything else the same for the small size.

Ah, brilliant. I did exactly the same thing for the 'go with everything cardigan'--I'm long torso-ed, and I tend to shy away from crop tops.  I think I'll give it a try with your modifications.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jules
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004 02:22:41 PM »

Jules -

The Banff sweater that she is suggesting instead really does nothing for me. I bought some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino on eBay to make this sweater and I want it to last for quite a while.

Cheers,
Jill
Hi Jill,
The Banff sweater did nothing for me either--thankfully, my finished sweater really doesn't remind me of the Banff at all.  Honestly, this sweater was easy to do--I would just watch the length, and adjust accordingly if you feel it's coming up too short.  As for the other errata (the neckline for the S size)-no problem at all. When it says bind off (0) stitches, obviously you can't, so I just binded off 1 stitch, and made sure at the end I had 14 stiches BO.

I wouldn't classify this as a hard pattern at all--and believe me,  I'm no master knitter, I just started knitting in the fall of this year.  I'm sure the casmerino will make an awesome sweater--whatever pattern you decide to do!  

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004 10:10:01 AM »

Wow, now I love the Big Sack Sweater!  I got images of grunge era clothing in my head when I saw how huge it was on the model, but now that I know that it was a large on her, I so want to make it!  Thanks for sharing that info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strangebutcher
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004 12:49:08 PM »

i am in the process of making this sweater. i finished the back and im almost finished with one of the sleeves but im worried about how big the sleeve is. did you block your sleeves down? im just afraid that the sleeves wont be in proportion to the body of the sweater. this is my first sweater so im being kind of anal about it. any words of advise would be great. by the way i love the way yours came out, it looks awesome in pink.

thanks kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jules
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004 04:53:58 PM »

Hi Kate,

I"m glad someone else is making this sweater; it is one of my favorites, and all told, very easy to knit.  Concerning the sleeves, I'm not positive ( as I knit this a couple of monthes ago, and my memory sucks), but I think I disregarded the sleeve length schematics in favor of my own.  -- I  remember being worried about the length of the sleeve, so I just eyeballed the first one (kept holding it up to my arm to measure, and  I measured it against a sweater I had which had a good sleeve length for my body)  Then I knit the second sleeve to match the first.   I blocked the whole thing at the end, and blocking did make a huge differnce overall to the shape of the sweater--it made it longer in the torso, which I wanted (mine wound up a bit small on the legnth)

I hope this helps you...if you're worried about the sleeve length, could you maybe just rip out from the bottom until the length is better for you?   Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews Talks About Enemies
Adam Grant Shares The Secrets Of Success
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani
Steve Schirripa Talks About Big Daddy’s Rules
Parents That Need to Be Slapped by Steve Schirripa
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...