A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lunchbox food for grown man?  (Read 1981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« on: March 28, 2004 11:16:40 PM »

Ham sandwiches, potato chips, and cookies are starting to make my brother a little green around the gills  Lips sealed  He works on a tree crew (hard, hot labor) and doesn't have access to a fridge or microwave on the job. Anyone have suggestions for what to put in a manly-man's lunchbox to keep his energy up?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004 11:22:58 PM by thixle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
krebstar5
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004 04:40:23 AM »

Try making him calzone.  All you need to do is buy pizza dough at the supermarket, cook some kind of filling for it, and then roll the filling up in the dough.  My sister usually makes one long one with the dough and we eat it all week.

Some ideas for filling:

olives, cheese, spinich, and roasted peppers
   ham, salami, cheese, mushrooms

The trick is not to use anything with too much water in it or the calzone will get soggy or leak when you bake you.  

Hope that helps a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-
http://smalerie.com

Rule 1: To do rather than watch.
http://www.journeyofwill.com
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004 04:49:56 AM »

my husband used to do tree work-uuuugh.  pine tree days were the worst-pine tar everywhere Tongue
i suggest filling his cooler with pasta-cold pasta salads with tuna and veggies and dressing.  lightly sweetened oatmeal cookies, too. and we're addicted to what we call hippie crack (bad joke, i know). it's these little packets of flavored vitamin c powder to mix in water-a very high dose for quick energy. here's a description.
and sleep and morning yoga help immensely, (i even got my manly man hooked on yoga-he does it more than i do now).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lissa
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004 04:36:35 AM »

Cold chicken pasta salad.  It's yummy.  Pick upsome noodles, olive oil, tomatos and chicken chunks or whatever else you think would be good in it.

Tortilla wraps are a good idea and easy if he has a cooler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004 10:23:40 AM »

Thanks guys, great suggestions! (And, yes, he does have a cooler)...

The only thing is, I think if I made calzones, there wouldn't be any left overs for work  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deliriousdream

doo doo doodly doo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004 11:52:17 AM »

firefly! i love that "hippie crack" vitamin-c stuff.  couldn't have gotten through college without it.  hhmm maybe i should start taking it again now, help cut down on the morning coffee addiction.  

but at my house, we call nutritional yeast "nutritional crack" because i am hard core addicted to it.  i love to put it on popcorn, veggie tacos, make cheesey-sauces out of it, stir it into hot water to make broth....it's scary really.

for cold lunches, i second the votes for noodle salads.  you can get creative and use lots of different seasonings and noodles to have variety...one day asian, one day italian, etc.  

cut up veggies, pretzels, and baked pita chips are good with hummus or any sort of bean dip, really.  my anti-health food boyfriend will scarf down hummus like there's no tomorrow.  

also, there's a lot of sandwiches out there besides ham!  veggies, bean spreads, good old pb&j, portabello mushrooms, tuna salad, egg salad, marinated tofu slices.  some of those prepared baked or smoked tofus are very flavorful and manly substantial. my carnivore bf likes lean roast beef, horseradish mustard, lettuce, and tomato on kaiser rolls.  i know mixing up the kind of bread (whole wheat, foccacia, pita, tortilla, rolls, english muffins) helps keep me interested in my box lunches.

applesauce is a good take along snack, as is yogurt and granola.  peanut butter and apple slices are good energy food.  string cheese, jerky, trail mix, soy nuts all travel well.  fruit filled muffins are good for dessert.  happy lunch packing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004 05:23:05 PM »

turkey jerky ROCKS, and it's a really good source of protein. The other thing that's good is go-gurt, they're made for kids but they are yogurt in a tear pouch that you eat without a spoon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cameras4toys

"Tears are the orgasm of laughter!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004 03:10:51 PM »

Trader Joe's has really good Beef pepperoni sticks.

When I go sailing this combo works well:

take one bite of each in rotation:
wheat bagel
string cheese
pepperoni stick

Finish off with a Orange Mango Hansen's soda and I'm full.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Airplane Costume for Your Child
How to Make a Chomping Alligator Costume
How to Make Glass Ornaments
Speed Round with Glenda Bailey
Citrus Painting Craft for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...