A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
336 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another shirt-to-tank (now with tutorial, finally)  (Read 25155 times)
Tags for this thread: rosie_the_riveter , tank_top , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2005 10:16:13 AM »

I had this old baby-doll type T that was shorter and tighter than I wanted, but I still loved the logo. Now it's a tank top.

Here's what it looks like on...

Close up of the front:

...and the back:

Feedback always welcome. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006 07:04:53 AM by sunnyb64 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hopskip09
I am Human

Created to Create

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005 12:43:18 PM »

ha! five iron! they're cool...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion, art, friends, life....
http://erinisbetter.blogspot.com/

God's thunder spits fire...and sends the oak trees dancing, a wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. We fall to our knees-we cry out, "glory".
mophopstepjump

seam rippers are my life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005 01:00:54 PM »

*gasp*  I love five iron!  My friend has that shirt.  I really like what you've done with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?
call_me_nny
>insert angsty yet clever title here<

this is the life--bo bo bo bo bo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005 09:25:06 PM »

ohmigosh i have SO many t-shirts i could do this to...

well, they're bigger rather then smaller but you get the point

i know it must be simple but i hate cutting things up without a direction to go in so could we have  a tute?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i wear black on the outside because black is how i feel on the inside and if i seem a little strange well thats because i am
-the smiths
to going against the grain, going insane, going mad
-rent
Minor drug offenders fill your prisons you dont even flinch All our taxes paying for your wars
-SofD
sunnyb64

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005 05:37:18 AM »

Thanks, everyone.  Smiley

And yes, call_me_nny, I can do a tute. I actually have another shirt that I wanted to do this to already, so I can take pics as I make it. Might take me a couple days to get it up (because I have to get another t-shirt to do the contrasting part with first... Roll Eyes ) but I'll try to get it done as soon as possible.  Smiley  (And this shirt was my brother's so it's too big, so that shouldn't be a problem.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theatrechick

Picking new hobbies is my hobby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005 07:03:43 AM »

If I walked past you on the street, I would never know it wasn't professional!  Lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylady53014

You just gotta love the grandchildren.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005 07:06:50 AM »

That is such a cool idea.  Can't wait for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If God brings you to it He will bring you through it.
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005 07:16:37 AM »

yay five iron! yay your tank top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scarlett Fever
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005 12:03:00 PM »

I like  Smiley

I'm anxious to see the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frankly, We Don't Give A Damn! - Scarlett Fever Scooter Club
sunnyb64

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005 09:59:32 AM »

This is soooooo late, but I finally managed to make another shirt. So here's the tut, if anyone still wants it. Sorry for the delay.  Sad

Before you start, you'll need to take some measurements so you know how to cut the two shirts. I measured around where I wanted the top of the shirt to be (above the chest, under the arms), right below my chest around the ribs, the most narrow part of my waist, and where I wanted the bottom to be (sort of the hips). That will be important for the side pieces, but I'll explain that later.

You'll need two shirts, one for the front/back and one for the sides/straps/trim. (I used a solid shirt for the sides on both of the ones I made, but you're all creative people so do whatever you want. Wink

The grey one, obviously, is the one I'll be using for the front/back.

For the front/back panels, if you're using a shirt with a picture, you'll want to measure the picture to see how wide you want to make it, plus add a little extra to each side for seams. I wanted a finished width of ten inches, so I cut mine 11. (I used half-inch seams for everything on this.) Cut two rectangles, one from the front and one from the back of the shirt. (I centered mine, but again, it's your call.) The length of the rectangles don't matter yet, so don't worry about that. You should end up with this:

For the sides, take the measurements you had before, subtract the (finished) widths of the front and back from those numbers, divide what's left in half, and this will tell you how wide to make the sides. I drew out a pattern piece for the sides of mine, using the length I wanted plus a little extra for seams and hem, and seam allowances on the side. It ended up looking like this:

Anyway, cut two of those side pieces, then you'll need to cut some strips for the top trim and the straps. I cut the top trim in two pieces (half the width around of the finished shirt), and my straps ended up being about 18 inches long. I made the width of them 3 inches (with seams, they'd end up being about 1 inch wide finished.) So then you should have all these pieces:

The next part's going to be pretty self-explanatory, hopefully.

Sew the front, back and sides together...

I did them all in a row like this:

and then sewed the last two edges together to make, essentially, a tube top like this (ignore my clashy green shirt):

Next, sew the shorter ends of the top trim pieces together to make a big circle, then pin that to the top outside of the shirt. You don't want to double it over here.

Then, on the inside of the shirt, fold in the raw edge of the trim, pin that over the seam like this (sorry for the blurry pic):

And sew it down. You'll end up with this:

If you wanted to leave it as a tube top, you could just do whatever you want with hemming here and leave it.

For the straps, first you sew the strips longway into a tube, flip it inside out, and I stitched the edges to make it lie flat. Then you try on the shirt to see where you want to place them, pin them to the inside of the shirt...

and sew them down in the front and back. I sewed on both edges of the trim.

You might want to make it a little tighter than you'll think it needs to be, because on this shirt I didn't and I already need to make the straps tighter... they keep falling down on me. Tongue

And then this is the finished shirt:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Saute Vegetables for Lumpia
How to Cook and Serve Lumpia
Make Sesame Chapati Bread Dough
How to Make Sesame Chapati Bread
Baking Sesame Chapati Bread
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...