A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: amber  (Read 670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2005 09:48:37 AM »

I was searching online for some amber resin to put in this little carved diffuser I picked up on a trip for around $5.  (I wanted to duplicate this $125 product: http://www.blissworld.com/shop/detail/PG-02/)  I found the amber at Eden Botanicals (www.edenbotanicals.com), so that's taken care of.  But I was wondering if any craftsters have used amber resin to make soap or other bath & body products.  Any pointers would be much appreciated. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
squeaky-queen
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005 10:24:27 AM »

I haven't, because it's really freaking expensive, but congratulations on your amber find Smiley

I know you can drop some amber resin in oil (try olive) and steep it for months on end to make an infusion.  I've talked to folks who have had really good results with this - I'm thinking that oil would be nice in a balm or salve.

I would never soap it because of the price....I save the costly and delicate ingredients for the balms and creams.  You can just rub it into your skin as well - it should melt a bit and coat the skin with a little resin. 

I was eyeing the eden botanicals site yesterday...I may just have to try their sampler of crystallized essences Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005 10:39:27 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  The amber I bought wasn't very expensive (I think $4 for 2 grams of one and $8 for 5 grams of another), although I'm not sure how much of it you'd need to make anything worthwhile.  You should totally check out the sampler; I almost got one of those just because I didn't know what all of that stuff even smells like and I'm so curious. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
squeaky-queen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005 07:58:33 AM »

I just discovered that myrrh resin is water-soluble.  I had some myrrh lying around ( was using it as incense for a time ) and decided to test it out.  I dropped a small handful of resin in a pyrex measuring cup, and added enough water to cover it.  I put that in a pan with a little water in it (double boiler) and heated it up.  I heated and stirred it for about 10 minutes, and much of the myrrh dissolved.  I strained it (the stuff I had still had bits of tree and grass in it) and bottled it with a few of the undissolved myrrh bits...most of it is dissolved now, and the resulting infusion smells wonderful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005 08:24:44 AM »

I have some amber oil that I have used in soaps and it turned out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Soft Hair
How to Get Waves in Your Hair
How to Get Victoria Beckham Hair
How to Grow Out Your Hair
How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...