A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Surprise Going Away Party  (Read 987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NoSleep
« on: July 20, 2005 07:22:20 PM »

My friend and I are hosting a surprise going away party for our friend who will be going abroad for next year's school year.  We've invited about 30+ people.  The party will be at my house, and we're going to get cake and have a bonfire and make s'mores and perhaps barbecue.  Any other suggestions of how to keep these 30 or so 17 year old girls entertained from 3:00 until "whenever" (thanks to my friend who put that on the invite!)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happycrafter
the grass is greener

if you walk away, i'll walk away

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005 04:48:22 PM »

you could have a slideshow of pics of whoever is leaving
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.  .
__
Retro_Turtle13

Im a Barbie Girl! In a Barbie World...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005 08:47:06 PM »

I just threw a surprise going away party for one of my friends who are leaving, but this is what we did.(Were 14 so i dont know if some of the ideas we did will be as appealing to you as they were to us!) Okay i first bought a big album with pages you could take out. I gave everyone an invite along with that page and asked them to include things on that page like...a picture of them and the going away girl, special memories with the going away girl, their contact info, and anything else they would like to include. Then after everyone gave me back their pages i put them in the album and added a lot more photo pages. So it was pretty much like a scrapbook. When the party came i told everyone to dress as crazy as possible and we all dressed crazy and went to Pizza Hut, where we waited for the going away girl to come. It was a great party. Something i wish we would have done that we didn't was give her a "jar of smiles." You just put a little note in for every day of the year that has a fun memory or something you like about her. Then everday...or when shes feeling sad or lonely, she takes one out and read its. Here is another thread that might help:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=34410.0

For activities i think you should just have things like limbo, twister, maybe a slip n slide? (I think it never gets old) I hope i helped. Smiley Make sure to take tons of pics of the going away party and maybe after shes moved get them developed and then make them into scrapbook pages she can add to her book and send them to her. Just an idea. Im going to do it. Smiley

Retro_Turtle13
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
rachie
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005 11:24:40 AM »

ya'll should get a journa and pass it around during the partyl, and the first few pages..have them filled up with special messages for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NoSleep
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005 02:08:56 PM »

thanks for the ideas everyone!  any more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
highschoolcrafter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005 12:15:29 AM »

set up a table with cards for ppl to fill out, then put em n a box for her to read, when ever she need sum support, n it would b wat ppl could do if they arrive early to the party or w/e

wat about interactive food, like a taco bar, sundae bar, salad bar, burger bar, or if bein crazy is wat ur into, a mix ur own drink bar

have a trivia game about the guest of honor, that everyone can play, to win like a basket or a gift card or sumthin

hold a scavenger hunt, just make it more fit for the older-teen crowd, involving driving to places, going door to door making a fool of urself, lol

again, if drinkin is ur style, u can google drinking games and have everyone play sum of those to pass the time, i bet by the end of a game, everyone will b havin a blast Cheesy lol

if u guys like gambling, u could play poker, black jack, texas hold em, or w/e the guest of honor's fav. is

play lots of music, so everyone can dance

hang lights n the trees, for lights to dance to outside, by the fire

put a sheet out on a table for everyone to sign and write notes to her, she can think bout the party and all her bfs everytime she looks at it, or maybe a pillow case, purse, etc.

srry if ne of the ideas r lame, im 15, so they r all cool to me, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheRehn

being a FOC is cool :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005 02:27:44 AM »

You could buy some cheap throwaway cameras and dot them around for people to take pictures, then after put them in an album for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haven't been too well recently - not fallen off the face of the earth.
Ooh - I have a Wist http://www.wists.com/TheRehn
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005 08:49:25 AM »

One of my friends just moved away and I threw her a surprise party. There were about 20 of her friends, some of which I never met before. It was really important to me to invite people she liked and not necessarily the ones I liked. Anyway, I sent out invites and told people to arrive a half hour before she did. I talked to her mom beforehand to make sure she would be able to come. The excuse I used to get her to come over was that I was filming a scene for a movie I was making and I needed her to say a couple lines.. you know, a minor part. (That might sound completely unbelievable to you, but since I do stuff like that all the time, she totally bought it. It was good because I helped her pick out a good party outfit!) And once she came, everyone hid and waited until I said, "Well, you're the first one here, so we can wait inside" to jump out with the "SURPRISE!"

But anyway. Party activities. Well, we're all 14-16, so we listened to music and played old fashioned lawn games. Okay, so I was the only one who was really into the lawn games... but I had bocce ball and croquet. And we played some Who's Line is it Anyway? games, since my friend loves those. I also prepared a few sheets of paper for each guest and a pencil. I made index cards with questions like "What's Sarah's favorite color?" and they got more and more challenging with each round. It was like a Survivor challenge in that people who get the questions wrong got out. Sarah had a dry erase board to write her answers on. That way, I didn't actually have to know the answers when I made the questions! It was really funny to see who really knew her and who didn't. I also made a 7-page banner in Microsoft Publisher that said "We'll Miss You, Sarah!" and everyone wrote long messages on it with their contact information. I printed it on cardstock so it wouldn't get torn up easily.

The theme was sort of a 50s one... I had the classic lawn games, I used a 50s font for the invites, banner, etc. I used a pale peach and pale pink for the theme colors.. it was warm and classy. I got some latex balloons from the dollar store where they were 2 for $1. I gave her a gift of a photo album with all the pictures from things we did in it. After the party, I made her a CD with the party pics on it and mailed it to her.

I don't know if it will be helpful to you, but maybe it'll give you some ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean dust off the sensor of the Canon EOS cameras
Learn about Pocketwizard Plus II Wireless Flash Trigger
Shooting For Super Resolution
Lighting Shooting and Retouching
Photographing Autumn Leaves
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...