A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fugly Dresser!!!!  (Read 744 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ravenheart

My hobby is trouble

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2005 01:43:21 PM »

I'm moving into a apartment where one bedroom greeted us with a 5 foot long, waist-high 70's FUGLY dresser. It could almost be called a buffet, but it's mostly drawers. Here's the deal...my new landlord, who's has also been my friend (yeah, we'll see how long that lasts...) doesn't want to part with it. He feels it's "extra storage", and would onyl let us put it into the attic if I don't keep it...no way am I moving this heavy thing up there! He also doesn't want me to paint it, or do anything permanent to alter it's apperance. Apparently he's "fugly-blind". Sooooo....what can I do to make it less fugly, that's not permanent? Put new cabinet style doors on it? Stretch fabric over the drawer fronts? Help!!!

Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobaker
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005 01:46:32 PM »

Conform to the fugly, and make it even fuglier.

Like.....cover it in lime green fabric and colour all over it. Whenever you're angry or have something on your mind, you can take it out on the dresser.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't lose when you lose fake friends!

Cheesy
LRS
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005 01:53:23 PM »

You can definitely drape fabric across the top and down the sides.  Maybe tack it around the back, and at the bottom.  If you really want to go funky, drape it, ruffle it, especially on the sides.

The drawer fronts are tougher.  Unless they're very loose, anything that goes around the side of the drawer will interfere with the drawer moving in and out.  And if you attach anythiing to the front, you'll leave marks.   Here are some possiblities:

1.  If the drawers have a little space at the top, tack some fabric to the top edge, letting it flow down the front of the drawer.  You could even have the tacks on the inside of the drawer, so you only need room for the fabric.  If you make the fabric pieces just about the exact dimensions of the drawer fronts, I don't think they'll get caught too often.

2.  Can you work something on the drawer pulls?  Crochet around them.  Make some kind of posterboad shapes and cut an X in the middle to slide it over the drawer pull.  

3.  If there's some clearance on the side of the drawers, you could pull fancy ribbon across the front of each drawer, and tack it to the outside of the drawer assembly.  There'll be room there - the question is whether the drawer facing is a tight fit.

I agree with Hobaker, take the fugly and run with it.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
ravenheart

My hobby is trouble

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005 02:05:12 PM »

I will probably at some point just have to become one with the fuglyness, I agree.

Not sure about those drawers yet, haven't really had time to investigate that. I had started thinking about making a large tablecloth to put over it, but that might hamper the practicalness of it. Unless I make panels in the front part of the tablecloth that can be rolled or flipped up to get access to the drawers. Thanks for the ideas, guys....if nothing else, this gives me a good project to start on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005 07:17:58 AM »

How about contact paper or that clear, easily removable vinyl rolls for books (stores are selling it in the school supply store...go, run, I love the stuff).  Then it could be easily removed once you move.  Well, I know that the vinyl can and is designed to, since it's for school books.  I've never had a problem removing contact paper either.  Also, think decoupage with only a simple glue/water protection.  Easily goo goned off.  Or....perhaps you could tape foam or posterboard to the drawers, and use it for markers, "graffiti" and whatnot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005 07:46:01 AM »

There was an episode of Trading Spaces a while back where they brought over one of the lovely British designers from the original (Brit) version of the show--- the guy was the one that's an amazing decorative painter--- anyway- the people who's room he got (a bedroom) didn't want their knotty pine furniture painted.  What he did?  Made a cover for the top from some mdf and some crown moulding (that was a little larger than the dresser) and then velcro'ed toille fabric to the backside of the moulding--- was actually really sharp when all was said and done...  I'll look for pics...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jackson Taylor Shares the Basis of His Novel: the Blue Orchard
Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners
Elizabeth Scott Discusses Her Young Adult Novel: Living Dead Girl
Heather Rogers on Her Book Green Gone Wrong
Author Sarah Rayne Reveals the Inspiration Behind House of the Lost
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...