A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gaucho Pants  (Read 12319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dolores
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005 08:07:47 AM »

Checked this out in a book called Patternmaking For Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Arnold (try your library? or amazon, or ebay) and she has clear instructions for this...it's basically a flared A-line skirt, with the crotch part of a pair of pants added to the center front & back seams. I appear to have used all my photo space on craftster, so pm me if you want me to mail you a scan of the page in the book, then you can post it and everyone gets to make some groovy gaucho pants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005 09:33:47 AM »

cutting it out of a skirt won't work. your best bet is to make a pattern from a well fitting pair of pants. (there has to be a curve in the crotch area)

it should look something like this....

otherwise, the fabric around your thighs would pull inward and look ackward, and fit funny. 

that looks like what i was trying to draw hahaha. i'm an idiot. but i understand what your saying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolores
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005 10:58:28 AM »

Well, joy of joys, I appear to have some picture hosting space available so I'll be posting the gaucho scan tonight...don't get too excited tho laydeez, it's a pretty basic diagram!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolores
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005 06:34:33 AM »

use an A-Line skirt pattern, add on the crotch from a pants pattern, add length & flare if you want...and sew that sucka!

HTH
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010 04:24:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: removed copyrighted material » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005 06:55:50 AM »

claypeanut--

i'd love to see what you came up with!
me too....show us!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
lemairia
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005 07:19:50 AM »

Also bear in mind that most of the gauchos now being shown are in a very drapey rayon or microfiber knit, so if your skirt is a different weave, fiber, or weight, it will affect your results.  If it is a knit fabric, you'll want to be careful when you're stitching that you don't stretch the fabric (either use a zig zag or a stretch stitch if you're machine has them available).

Other than that, you should be good to go with the excellent pattern alteration suggestions posted by others.  FYI, I did do the pants from skirts thing back when, and the results were a little bit MC Hammer http://www.gobaeng.de/images/products/1490.jpg

Have fun with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
unique handcrafted items for modern living
www.lemairhandcrafts.com
Kristen81
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2005 02:16:25 PM »

How many meters/yards of fabric would be needed to make these? Just a close guess is fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
ragamufyn

White Chocolate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2005 02:49:14 PM »

I made these

that are here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=46320.msg428838#msg428838

by using a pattern that I got form Jo Ann's.  I looked online but couldn't find it.  I'll try and post the pattern number when I get back from vacation!

I think if you had a skirt and wanted to turn it into Gaucho pants that you could just cut straight up to the crotch area without cutting any fabric out and turn it inside out and sew up one leg and down the other.  Just make sure you leave plenty of room in the crotch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadedpink
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005 06:11:26 PM »

those are so cute! good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005 08:17:24 AM »

I think if you had a skirt and wanted to turn it into Gaucho pants that you could just cut straight up to the crotch area without cutting any fabric out and turn it inside out and sew up one leg and down the other.  Just make sure you leave plenty of room in the crotch!

No - it won't work.  Look at earlier posts in this thread.  You need extra fabric and shaping.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Lin Chung
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Leela
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Kou Ichinomiya
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...