A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,319
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap but not horribly unhealthy ideas  (Read 47043 times)
Tags for this thread: dorm_cooking , budget_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brookem
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2005 10:53:22 PM »

soaked barley is good in soups. i don't know why. has any one else ever had that, or is it just a kiwi thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2005 05:25:53 PM »

I just came up with a new 'cheap but yummy' dish this week... We order chinese at work quite often.. and I always have just a little left over.. not quite enough for another meal, but enoug that I feel bad wasting it by throwing it away.

THis works well for things like chicken and broccoli, or shrimp & hot garlic sauce.. all the dishes that have meats and veggies with some gravy..  boil a packet of ramen noodles, add all the seasonings, and then dump the leftovers in with the noodles... The sauce from the leftover chinese seasons everything up perfectly and it is SO simple!

You could probably order one $5 serving of food and use 4 - 5 packets of noodles to feed a crowd even!

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
brookem
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2005 09:49:40 PM »

take half a can of drained corn- mix it with three tablespoons of cottage cheese, a tablespoon of couscous (optional) and a large dollup of sweet chilli sauce. cover and microwave until the cottage cheese has melted, stir well and eat. this is one of my favourite foods!

i always make sure i have couscous, chilli sauce and sesame seeds on hand. mix em all together with some water and microwave... at the very least, you won't starve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2005 09:52:21 PM »

brookem  I love barley in soup Smiley My mother used to make it all the time in her beef and veggie soup. MMmmmm....now I'm totally craving it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
brookem
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2005 10:42:54 PM »

i wonder who first thought that would be a good idea? it is kind of an unusual ingredient

i love soups- watties (the kiwi equivalent of cambells) has some really good ones. try adding chopped or ground walnuts to soups- the oils inprove the flavour and they add extra protein. but now its getting too warm to eat soups.

does anyone have any one bowl meals which are good for summer? i only have a microwave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
miss brianne

I'm addicted to Craft

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2005 10:58:45 PM »

I have finally come up with a stellar menu after a few months of living alone:
BUY EVERYTHING IN BULK AND FREEZ IT.
Trust me- alot more can fit into your freezer- you just have to try harder.
if you are making something wonderful why not make twice as much and freeze it?
I have also recently become a huge fan of tuna.It is cheap and a good source of protien.
I have also taken to having my candy frozen. I bought myself a bag of cookies as a treat and I keep them in the freezer. These cookies which I would have normally eaten in two weeks have lasted me 2 months! that is also a health trick.

and since you are mostly ladies can I please please please remind you DO NOT SKIMP ON THE CALCIUM!
It is IMPORTANT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
huongandmatthew
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2005 11:51:28 PM »

I LOVE food, but with a really tiny budget it's hard not to eat spaghetti and beans and rice everyday.  But every week I try to get something different:

chili
grilled cheese and tomato soup
chicken - I love to marinate chicken in fish dipping sauce (sounds gross but really good, I love Viet food)
veggie gumbo- I just discovered this in the frozen section! It comes in a bag for about 2 bucks.
soups
Vietnamese food - It's so cheap but takes a lot of prep.  I buy a lot of rice paper for wraps and rice noodles.
boxed potato sides
lots of cheese - I put cheese on everything
taco salad
burritos

I try to buy meat on sale (buy one get one free!).  Ha ha I remember when my roommates used to buy carrots and cheese in bulk.  Everything from eggs to chilli to spagettie would have carrots and cheese in them.  Good times.

recipe for three meals from one whole chicken:

ingredients:
a whole chicken
noodles (egg, rice, whatever you want in soup, my fav is mung bean noodles)
water

Take the whole chick and boil till done (30-50 min).  Boil noodles in broth, add whatever you like here.  Then take the boiled chik out and eat that how you like it (shredded for chicken salad, covered in hot sauce, whatever).  Then save the bones from the chick and make more soup from that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2005 08:44:59 AM »

I just tried something today for breakfast: Quesadilla with corn and beans in the micro. Mmmmm.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2005 02:01:09 PM »

Has anyone ever tried making Dahl?  It's a thick lentil and potato soup, with lots of carrots, onions, curry powder, etc.  The best thing about it is, its leftovers thicken by the day.  Seriously, 3 days after you make the soup, you can pile it into a tortilla (with chutney and/or yogurt!).

Also, curry is basically potatoes, onions, and carrots, saute'ed with a lot of spices and some oil.  Then you just add some plain yogurt to thicken the cooking juices, and serve with rice and chutney.

I <3 curry foods and chutney...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
RumGummbleBee
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2005 03:01:04 PM »

I like to bake, and the ingredients can really add up! For cakes and icings I use JIffy mix. Its like 50 cents to a dollar for each box. I LOVE Jiffy corn bread. You dont have to add hardly anything with these. Today I just made yellow cake with chocolate icing. Sooo easy and very good. Took no time and no money. All you needed was water and an egg!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Wear on a City Break
Spring Style: Ripped Denim Jacket
We Spy: Spring Break Style Regrets
5 Stylish Easter Outfit Ideas for Kids
How to Wear the A-Line Denim Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...