A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap but not horribly unhealthy ideas  (Read 45421 times)
Tags for this thread: dorm_cooking , budget_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PlayItGeorge
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2005 04:37:24 PM »

Cool idea!

I just have a ton of 1-2 portion sized tupperwares that I use for freezing.  Also for any soup/sauce I put a layer of saran wrap over it to prevent freezer burn.  Works every time.

And I would imagine cream soups would freeze OK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
onesmallinstrument

I am your pamphleteer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2005 07:37:07 PM »

I made a batch of this and it's been a nice, filling breakfast for the better part of a week. 

Do you keep it in the fridge, onesmallinstrument, and like, heat it up? That sounds pretty good, and filling too! Hmm....

It keeps very well in the fridge and is just fine after being microwaved.  When I reheat it, I usually sprinkle a little more brown sugar on top because I have a sweet tooth, and it's still very tasty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How I don't know what I should do with my hands when I talk to you. How you don't know where you should look, so you look at my hands."
prettyhowtown

perpetually missing some key piece of information

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2005 07:57:22 PM »

If there's a grocery store that you can get to from campus and you can scam a Sunday paper from someone, check for coupons and the flyer for the store. You'll feel like a dork at first but trust me, you'll get used to it and eventually your friends will come to appreciate the fact that you can save a ton on groceries by clipping coupons and shopping the sales. (This does not work if you cannot resist the temptation to buy something just because it is on sale, or because you have a coupon. An excellent test of your willpower, young Jedi.)

I've also got two easy, cheap recipies.

This first one is especially cheap if you grab the stuff as it's on sale, especially if you get store brand on sale. Mwahaha!

1 can each: black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes
2 cans broth (veggie, chicken, whatever)
1 can chicken (you know, like tuna but it's chicken) or some leftover chicken chopped or shredded

Find a large pot. Rinse the beans out and dump everything into said large pot. Heat until it's at a simmer and then let it go for a few more minutes while you scrounge for nachos.

Grin Next up, Impressive Italian Dish of Easiness

-pint of grape tomatoes
-garlic
-italian type cheese of your choice
-veggie or chicken broth (or water, or maybe some of that white wine in the fridge, whatever)
-ravioli (I have made it both with the $1 frozen bag of store brand and with the $5 pack of fancy ravioli from Trader Joe's. very good either way, depends on if and how much you are trying to impress someone)
-basil if you have it

Rinse off your lil tomatoes and pick out any that have seen better days
Cut 'em in half
Take the skin off a piece of garlic (use as much or as little garlic as you like)
If you have a food processor (or a blender in good shape with sharp bits) toss in the tomatoes and garlic and buzz them until they are saucy. or sassy. If you do not, you can probably get the same effect if you chop them up some more and maybe mash them with a spoon, fork, bottom of a shot glass, etc. Or you can go for the chunky sassy sauce. Just make sure you keep as much as the liquid from the tomatoes as you can.
Put your tomatoes and garlic into a pan (frying pan size with high sides is best) and add 1 cup of broth
Bring to a boil
Toss in your ravioli and basil
Cook until the ravioli are done
Serve immediately, garnished with your cheese of choice

Most of the reason why this dish is so good is because the grape tomatoes are sweet and it makes for a really tasty sauce. I have never tried it with any other type of tomato so I cannot vouch for its knock-the-socks off quality.

Also, the leftovers are OK but nowhere near as good as piping hot off the stove.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2005 08:20:08 PM »

ive been eating cabbage pancakes for dinner all week.

2 1/2 c.  savoy cabbage, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp parsley, chopped
1/3 c. flour
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 c. water

mix together the flour, salt, pepper. add the cabbage/parsley and mix so everything is coated in flour. add water.
heat a bit of oil/cooking spray in 9" pan and add the cabbage mixture. press into the pan and cook over med heat for 5 minutes. break into four pieces, flip over, press, cook for 5+ minutes.
ive eaten it with plain soy sour cream, with bbq sauce, with a mix of mayo/byriani paste, mix of mayo/garam masala paste, taco bell hot sauce, everything i tried worked well.
this is quick to prepare, filing, healthy, and very inexpensive. cabbage is about $1.50 right now and 1 head is enough for 2/2.5 'pancakes'.
...i might add chopped leeks to it tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2005 09:00:30 PM »

my favorite cheap recipe is hamburger pie. you brown 1 pound of beef, drain, add 1 small can of mushrooms, and 1 small can of tomato soup. spread it into an 8x8 pan, drain a small can of green beans and spread on top. take mashed potatoes (this really depends on how thick you want them as to how much you make) and spread them on top. place in the oven at 350 degrees until the potatoes are nicely brown.

another is to take 1 pound of hamburger, 1 small onion sliced thin, and 2-3 potatoes sliced thin. fry it all together in a skillet. (cook the hamburger first though, then add the others)  season with a little salt and pepper.

if you have a sandwich maker, you can do pizza pockets.  you layer it, buttered bread, spoonful of pizza sauce, meat of choice, veggie of choice, cheese, and top bread.  it's really just spoonfuls of each, so it's great for using up leftovers.

and dinner in a crock pot, made for one, just throw in more for other people.  1 skinless chicken breast, 1 packet lipton onion soup mix, 1 carrot sliced, 1-2 potatoes cubed.  fill with water til just covering ingredients.  let cook until chicken is done and vegs are tender.

chicken and noodles, a bit time consuming, but pretty cheap.  beat eggs (roughly 1 per person), add salt (roughly 1/2 tsp per egg). add flour to make a dough. roll out 1/4 inch thick. cut in 1/2 inch by 3 inch strips.  toss with flour, cover, set aside. (taste your noodles. if they taste really salty, don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. if they taste just right, congrats. if they taste kinda bland, add some salt to the water when you cook them.) boil chicken (about 1 skinless breast per person). when cooked, remove chicken, and skim off the top of the water. shred chicken and place back in water. bring to a boil. slowly, and this is important, slowly add your noodles. sprinkle them in with one hand, stir with the other. if you add them all at once, you'll end up with a disgusting glob of paste. let boil for a few minutes, then turn down to simmer and cover.  this will thicken as it cools, so if you need to all water, do it while it's boiling.  serve as is, or over mashed potatoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2005 09:30:04 PM »

I'm eating this one right now...

chili-mac casserole

1 box jiffy corn bread mix ($0.45)
2 boxes mac n cheese ($1.50)
2 cans of chili ($2.00)
1/4 pound of cheddar cheese ($1.25)
Total: $5.20

Pre-heat oven to 400, make cornbread (it calls for 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk), pour batter into your biggest casserole dish (lightly greased). Mine is about 8x8/9x9 and very deep. Cook mac n cheese and chili while the cornbread is baking. Take the cornbread out, pour in the chili, then add the mac n cheese, and spread the cheddar cheese on top. Throw it back in the oven for about 10 minutes. I like to add half a can of corn to the chili, but that's me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2005 09:31:50 PM »

oops, forgot to say how many it feeds! It makes 6 good sized servings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2005 08:36:39 PM »

My roommate and I just moved off-campus, and since I do all the cooking, I am THRILLed to see this post! What we've eating a lot is just plain old stir-fry. She had never heard of it, but I grew up eating it.

Basically, start with rice, and then chop up whatever vegetables you've got... celery, onions, and carrots are a good start. Garlic is nice if you've got it, water chestnuts add some crunch... whatever you want. Some people scramble an egg or two and put it in, but I'm not a fan of eggs. Add leftover meat if you've got it (we used one of those rotisserie chickens for three meals... not bad for $5). Fry it all up with some rice and butter. Season it or add some soy sauce.

Takes maybe 30 minutes if you're not using instant rice, so quick and easy however you look at it. Also cheap enough to feed a study group.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2005 09:33:20 PM »

Do you let the cornbread cook all the way through before you add the rest, or is it still half-baked?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
patriautism
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2005 11:57:17 PM »

Yeah, the cornbread is cooked through. That's the cool thing. If you're slick you can make it a two pot clean up. While the cornbread is cooking, make the macncheese, heat up the chili in the microwave, and then use the chili bowl to eat in when it's done. I usually just cook the chili on the stove (it's better that way), but I've done the simultaneous cooking of everything before. It's a great time saver. I think I forgot to say before that we have it with a big spoonful of sour cream. We have everything with sour cream Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Alien Eyes in Face Painting
Face Painting Tips - Applying Foundation
Face Paint Tools for a Galactic Alien
How to Face Paint a Galactic Alien
Margo Machida Profiles Asian American Activist Artists
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...