A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap but not horribly unhealthy ideas  (Read 45396 times)
Tags for this thread: dorm_cooking , budget_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ashli_penguinlove
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2008 04:16:44 PM »

He's a super easy one: fast beef stew:
Ingredients:
cheap thin steak, sliced into small bites (you can make this without meat too)
2 packets of Lipton onion soup mix (onion mushroom and beefy onion is good too)
2 large cans of veggies (I get the one with potatoes, pearl onions, carrots and peas)
2-3 cups of water (more or less depending on how thick you want it).

Use a deep pan, cook steak almost al the way through
add onion soup packets and water, mix till disolved
then add the can of veggies, simmer for 10 mins until thickened.

This feeds 4 hungry people. It also freezes well and makes a good pot pie filling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OrangeAngel23
Orange Angel's Profile

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2008 09:46:32 PM »

Start buying frozen veggies.  They may seem more expensive than that in a can.. but you get a heck of a lot more veggies in those bags.  And you can control how much you need or want and put the rest back in the freezer.  If you get canned veggies, then you have all that left over waist.

Waist not, want not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am very interested in doing swaps.  Please PM me if you are interested!  I love to make beaded things, and am now learning to sew!  Sooo.. please feel free to chat with me about crafty things!
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2008 11:22:28 AM »

I definitely have Word files made with a lot of these recipes too! (And I've actually made a couple)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ElleOhElle
social work, crafts, and pirate hippies.

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2008 12:52:47 PM »

i love to make black bean burritos, they're really cheap and so so tasty... just spread canned refried blackbeans on a wheat tortilla and top with cheese and microwave, then pour some salsa and sour cream in there... yuuum. add avocados if you reaaally want to get fancy. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
-Samuel Beckett  Smiley
happycabbage
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2008 03:30:25 PM »

So many great ideas that are right up my (poor) alley! Thanks everyone! I finally moved out on my own, and conveniently no one wants to buy pizza these days (I work at dominos [a godsend, when I work and ask, I get free pizzas, free cheese, dough, veggies, ground beef, parmesan, etc, that I bring home for recipes]), so I cant afford rent, much less food. So here are a few things Ive remembered from days past. Sorry, I never measure, I dont own a measuring cup, so, start small and just add to your liking.

Boil pasta, whatever kind, and mix in a bit of butter, some soy, whatever herb your heart desires (I use Italian blend since thats all I own now) and some parmesan cheese.

Slice two zucchini, and chop one medium white onion and fry both in a bit of olive oil and some rosemary. Serve on top of rice. AMAZING.

Slice a cucumber and dice/chop (two? one?) tomato and marinade in some italian dressing and add to cooked macaroni. Great summery pasta salad.

Stuffed cabbage. Cook and drain ground beef. Mix the beef and cooked rice in with some canned crushed tomato. Pull leaves off cabbage and spoon beef/rice mixture into center and simply fold/roll and cook on a cookie sheet in the oven. Sorry for lack of any specifics here, again, I just dont measure!

Fried ravioli! Its so tasty! I buy the big bag of $3 regular frozen cheese ravioli and get several meals from it. All you have to do is beat an egg or two and roll the uncooked ravoili in that and then roll that in italian bread crumbs and deep fry in oil at 35 degrees until golden.

Finally! I use a 12oz container of ricotta ($1 and some change), a 10 oz box of frozen spinach (pictsweet at walmart for i believe 68 cents) a bunch of mozzarella (i get this free at work when i ask, sorry) and lasagna noodles (less than $1). Mix cheeses and spinach. Obviously, cook the lasagna. Lay strips of lasagna noodles out and run a line of cheese mix down length and roll. Place on a cookie sheet and cook. Top with marinara, before or after cooking. Makes a few meals and freezes fine. The mix works great for calzones, and you cant buy pizza crust mix for something like 60 cents. And you can add whatever else you like to it.

And finally, I believe its Voila! that makes a few different bagged dinners in the freezer section. I usually buy the beef or steak teriyaki for $4 and mix it up with cooked rice and soy sauce and salt and can get 4 meals out of it. Thats a dollar a meal plus a few cents for the rice. It does come with teriyaki seasoning, but I refreeze that as i dont really like it.

TIP! If you go into dominos you can buy a single side of marinara for 50 cents. you get only 2oz, but its great if youre like me, dont like too much sauce/cook for yourself. i believe it has a 6month+ shelf life! Sometimes, at least at my store, they will sell you a single piece of dough for $1.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i dont have a signature.....
Pretendpeterpan
You sunk my scrabbleship!

« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2008 02:54:34 PM »

I created a document with these recipes and tips! It's categorized (roughly) by type. I'm just trying to figure out where I can put it online so people can download it (it's hefty- 25 or 26 pages).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you wist upon a star...

I'm currently lusting over bird's nest necklaces and jewelry in general. Personal swap partners sought! :-)

My etsy: www.treasuregnome.etsy.com
kimberlina123
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2008 08:07:41 AM »

Ok, so here are a few quick, easy, meals that I like and that won't break your budget Wink

Taco Pasta:
Take some ground beef, cook it till it's done, drain the fat, and add a little bit of water back to the pan. Put a powdered taco mix in it and let it reduce down a bit. While you're cooking the meat, cook up (to al dente) as much pasta as you think you'll need for the number of people you're making it for (I like the tricolored rotini pasta, but use whatever floats your boat). When the meat is reducing, add some chopped bell peppers/green onion/mexi-corn/whatever you have and let it heat through. Drain the pasta and top it with the meat mixture, sour cream or cheese. YUMMY!

Chicken kabobs:
These are super easy, and REALLY tasty as long as you have a BBQ Wink. Skewer some chopped chicken breast, different colored bell peppers and red onions, sprinkle on some (or a lot of!) Montreal Chicken seasoning (it's McCormic's I think, but it's basically just spicy chicken seasoning) spray them with a little pam so they don't stick to your BBQ and you're good to grill. They're really good served over brown or white rice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretendpeterpan
You sunk my scrabbleship!

« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2008 01:59:53 PM »

I also found this link today: it's a list of 20 staples to have in your kitchen and a number of recipes to use with them! http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Twenty-for-Twenty/Detail.aspx

Brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you wist upon a star...

I'm currently lusting over bird's nest necklaces and jewelry in general. Personal swap partners sought! :-)

My etsy: www.treasuregnome.etsy.com
TerraBella01

Crafting keeps me sane

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2008 06:19:02 PM »

I've started buying meat and making a batch of something, and freezing them in individual portions.  So far I have lemon pepper chicken and some good turkey burger patties in the freezer.  I also have a Rocket Grill which I use to cook them, but the chicken and turkey could very easily be thawed and cooked on a stove.

For the lemon pepper chicken, take a few table spoons of lemon juice, one chicken breast, and some ground pepper.  Through it all in a frozen plastic bag and marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.  Then, through in the freezer.  I do this for several chicken breasts at once.  Then too cook I take one out of the freezer and pop it in the Rocket Grill.

For the turkey patties, I took lean ground turkey, a bit of dried parsley, some minced dried onion, garlic powder, and ground pepper.  Mix them up well, form patties, and freeze individually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Daniethanas
Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Crocheter

Hookin' like a fiend these days...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2008 12:42:16 PM »

It's been a bit since I was in college... but I came to realize a few things when I was there:

1. Everyone eats Ramen Noodles, but the seasoning packets are TERRIBLE for you.
2. I missed a nice bowl of spaghetti and red sauce.

So here's what I came up with back in the day as a ghetto alternative to spaghetti and red sauce, and a way to throw out those awful Ramen seasoning packets.

Grocery List:
- Ramen Noodle packets (There' 10/$1 most places, so stock up on all 10!)
- Bottle of ketchup
- Container of store-brand parmesan cheese (the plastic container with the shakey top green labels)
- Butter of your preference. I recommend regular butter or Smart Balance; margarine has the nasty trans fatty acids in it usually

You'll get all of those things for under $10 if you're lucky, and you get 10 meals out of it at least. My guess is you'll run out of Ramen Noodles faster than you will the rest of the stuff, so for $15 or less you might even get more meals than that! And if you don't like cheese... that's even LESS money spent!

Here's what you do:
- Cook the Ramen Noodles as directed on the package. THROW OUT THE SEASONING!!!
- Once it's cooked up, drain off the liquid
- Put about 2 tbsp. ketchup and 1 pat butter onto the noodles. Stir it up until the butter is melted and the ketchup is distributed evenly. (If you want more ketchup... add more ketchup)
- Top with cheese if desired.
- EAT
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Speed Up Videos Using Camtasia Studio
How to Create Water Droplets in Gimp
How to Make Animated GIFs in Gimp
How to Make Videos Look Old Using Windows Movie Maker
How to Turn a Video into an XP Animated Wallpaper
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...