A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Essential tools and notions for sewing?  (Read 22958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006 03:12:43 PM »

you need good scissors, (good sharp ones, and don't use them for anything but sewing!) pins and pin cushion,

Echo the good scissors part especially.

HINT: Hide your sewing scissors so that NO one can use them for anything else (NO EXCUSES! Train YOURSELF to not use them except for sewing, not even a LITTLE bit!) You may need to buy some decoy scissors (buy a half dozen or so  Roll Eyes at the dollar store or when they go on sale at Hobby Lobby!  Roll Eyes) and keep them around to keep siblings and parents away from your good sewing scissors, especially when they find your secret hiding place (BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY CAN ALWAYS FIND SCISSORS THERE!!!!  Tongue)   Mark your good scissors so there is NO WAY they can pretend they got hold of them accidentally..   Angry

Good pins are awfully nice, too. I had been sewing with cheap-O pins for YEARS before I discovered the difference that really good ones make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006 03:40:13 AM »

you need good scissors, (good sharp ones, and don't use them for anything but sewing!) pins and pin cushion,

Echo the good scissors part especially.

HINT: Hide your sewing scissors so that NO one can use them for anything else (NO EXCUSES! Train YOURSELF to not use them except for sewing, not even a LITTLE bit!) You may need to buy some decoy scissors (buy a half dozen or so  Roll Eyes at the dollar store or when they go on sale at Hobby Lobby!  Roll Eyes) and keep them around to keep siblings and parents away from your good sewing scissors, especially when they find your secret hiding place (BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY CAN ALWAYS FIND SCISSORS THERE!!!!  Tongue)   Mark your good scissors so there is NO WAY they can pretend they got hold of them accidentally..   Angry

Good pins are awfully nice, too. I had been sewing with cheap-O pins for YEARS before I discovered the difference that really good ones make.

I have FABRIC ONLY written on mine in large letters with permanent marker! I also keep lots and lots of other scissors around and I try to keep my fabric scissors in a designated spot. I have a coffee cup in my sewing sector with my seam ripper, sliding ruler thingie, and other supplies. I keep the fabric scissors in there so if someone uses them they had to go get them! But, I have to admit, right now they are on the ironing board.  Better go put them in their "spot" right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelleibean
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006 04:53:32 AM »

i've had my sewing machine for 7 years and JUST got a disappearing ink pen. i guess it's used for quilting? but I'm finding it indespensible as i've been using this awful marking pencil - anyway its helpful when you need to see where to sew. 
oh! machine oil, if oyu dont already have some- i believe someo ne already mentioned it but if it's been sitting around for a while a good cleaning/oiling should help you avoid a few snafus.  my machine came with a little brush and screwdriver for cleaning and taking things apart -also very handy for when bobbin thread goes all wonky on me.

probably the best advice would be to play with it for awhile before you start a project you have your heart set on-the tension? used to mess me up alot in begining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*k*
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006 08:04:09 AM »

i've had my sewing machine for 7 years and JUST got a disappearing ink pen. i guess it's used for quilting? but I'm finding it indespensible as i've been using this awful marking pencil - anyway its helpful when you need to see where to sew. 

oh! machine oil, if oyu dont already have some- i believe someo ne already mentioned it but if it's been sitting around for a while a good cleaning/oiling should help you avoid a few snafus.  my machine came with a little brush and screwdriver for cleaning and taking things apart -also very handy for when bobbin thread goes all wonky on me.

Disappearing ink pens!  I use these all the time for transferring markings onto the fabric (ie. dots that need to be matched, or dart sewing lines).  They work well except on dark fabrics.

As for the sewing machine oil--if you use it be careful not to use too much.  you only need a tiny drop on the moving parts.  Otherwise you could make a huge mess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006 08:30:51 AM »

Disappearing ink pens!

Never lick a disappearing ink pen! It will disappear!  Roll Eyes

Actually the ink won't work anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006 09:21:48 AM »

Don't count on a disapearing ink pen on a humid day.

Also, be sure you sewing machine is the kind that actually needs oil  Mine is not supposed to ever get oil.

Clean that lint out often! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2006 05:45:50 AM »

after you have needles appropriate for your machine and thread appropriate for your fabric, the only other thing a seamstress needs is a good reference book. 

everything else is extra.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
fireescapes
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006 07:19:48 PM »

I've been sewing for a long time,
but i've never actually done it "right", for lack of better words to say.

i never use patters, never cut things straight, etc.
i know there's really nothing wrong with that, but i'd like to be able to actually find a pattern i like and execute it nicely.

what are some things i'm going to need.
right now, all i have is a sewing machine, tracing paper, and a tracing wheel, really.

what should i get in terms of tools.
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saralynne
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006 07:30:24 PM »

I'm gonna guess you have a pair of scissors.  Smiley

You will also use:
-pins
-tape measure
-Iron & ironing board
-tailors chalk or making pencil

Depending what it is you want to make, there are sure to be other things you need too.

I recommend some sort of small brush to clean your machine with too, if you dont own one already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006 07:34:53 PM »

And I seam ripper!
Also I love my clear view ruler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Solve the 4T Puzzle Brain Teaser
Catan 5 and 6 Player Extensions
Catan: Traders and Barbarians
Catan Cities and Knights Board Game Review
Vox Time Machine Delay Pedal Gear Review
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...