A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Essential tools and notions for sewing?  (Read 23155 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkpalace
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2009 12:38:53 AM »

Thanks Pyro!
what is the interfacing you are talking about?

Yes def need more bobbins... have about 3 and sick of rewinding new colours loL!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx
PP
tezcan
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2009 06:21:12 AM »

I am so pleased you posted this thread Cheesy
I am getting my new sewing machine & I was going to ask the same question as I am new to all of this as well.
Never even thought about the extra  bobbins lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
montrealmom3
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2009 03:21:57 PM »

Hi, i have seam rippers, needles, scissors, I have 19 bobbins, lol all full, rulers, pins of all sizes, 2 sewing machines, 1 industrial overlock and one home sewing machine, pin cushions, some home made,  lots of sewing books, rottary cutters, threads, sewing baskets etc.  I just don't have a sewing room  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wildwoodgardens
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2009 08:37:47 PM »

A roll of the paper that they use at the doctors office on the exam table. Its great for tracing patterns or making your own and is a lot more durable than tracing paper. The stiff plastic for making templates that is sold at Joann's. I used to to create pattern pieces for my coinpurses and cosmetic pouches. Clear plastic boxes to store your stash and notions in. You will be able to see what is in the box without digging through everything. A thread stand that you can set serger thread on so that you can use it in your sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2010 06:50:07 PM »

a magnetic bingo wand-  I use it to pick up pins when they land on the floor

I rescued it from the trash , my mother was about to throw it out because bingo halls went computer and no longer use chips
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brock2008smom
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2010 01:43:17 PM »

I am new to the sewing world too and really appreciate the help that is offered here among each other. There are truely some great ideas here.  Grin
penny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hellhoundpixi

He's a mumma's boy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2010 05:56:28 PM »

great thread Cheesy i'm getting my mothers brand new sewing machine in three weeks!  can't wait I'm an absolute beginner.  Read through all the posts, fantastic advice

Can anyone recommend any good websites for sewing?  I know this website is great but there are 1000s of posts and I want a website that looks at basics

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die!
Wist: http://www.wists.com/hellhoundpixi
cricket416
Cats really don't like to ride bicycles, no matter how much duck tape you use.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2010 12:25:08 PM »

I found the videos on Thread Magazine's Teach Yourself to Sew section to be pretty useful.

Most of my essential tools have already been mentioned, but here's some of the ones I'd highlight:

• Something to trace your pattern onto. Freezer paper, parchment paper, doctor's office exam paper, tracing paper... whatever you can get your hands on.  I buy tracing paper by the roll from the art supply store near my house.  A huge roll (42" x 20 yards) costs me about $13, and it's big enough to trace almost any pattern piece.
  • Cheap thread.  I know someone else said not to buy cheap thread, but it's useful for hand-basting, gathering, and making your muslin.  I *only* use cheap dollar-bin thread when I'm basting, because it's so much easier to take out when I'm done.  Besides, why waste my good thread on stitches that will get ripped out anyway?
  • Clothes pegs.  I use these to clip my tracing paper to the pattern I'm tracing so the paper doesn't shift.
  • Fray Check.  It's a liquid that can save your project when a woven fabric starts to get unruly and unravel!
  • Spare needles.  I have several different types of needles on hand for different fabrics.  You should change your needles often; a good guide is to always start a project with a fresh needle.
  • A makeup brush.  To brush away the lint that builds up on my machine.  Be careful to always brush in strokes moving *away* from the motor and moving parts of your machine.
  • A lint roller.  For picking up any stray loose threads from my work area after a project is done.  (It saves in vet bills, as my kitties like to play with and sometimes eat threads they see lying around.)
  • Stuff for straight seams.  Some machines have threaded holes where you can attach a seam guide - I have one and I use it for almost every project.  If you don't have one, you can measure out the seam allowance and just tape something on to your machine to help guide the fabric.  I also use a 1/4" seam foot quite a bit for hems and topstitching, as well as for quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2010 12:04:28 PM »

I live in no-craftshop land, ie rural ireland. So I don't get to wander into my local joannes and see cool fab new tools that would save me loads of time. If I knew about them I could order them online, but it strikes me that there might be lots of labour saving tools on the market that I don't know about. And of course for newbies, it would be great to know what really makes life easier.

My essential ones are the obvious ones like a decent sewing machine that works and isn't too hormonal.
Many tape measures (I always put stuff down and can't find it again)
I buy lots of cheap scissors and I have a sharpener, that way I always have a scissors to hand and a way of sharpening them
Seam rippers..I had loads..down to my last one.

what else??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2010 05:09:35 PM »

A rotary cutter, quilting ruler and cutting mat!

Anything rectangular is waaaaaaay easier to do on the mat than with scissors. I do neckline bindings and hem bands for jersey shirts with next to no fuss/muss thanks to OLFA and my boyfriend's mum who bought them for me for Christmas last year. I do wish the mat was bigger, though. It's only 12x18 inches, but to buy one of those giant 36 inchers is like $70!!! *keels over*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Changeling Book Trailer
Russell Kane Introduces His Literary Novel, The Humorist
Dorothy Wickenden on Nothing Daunted
John Irving on Theatricality in Fiction
John Irving on the Sexuality of In One Person
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...