A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Essential tools and notions for sewing?  (Read 23856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2009 08:24:39 PM »

But hey, if a hanger piece works for you, go for it! I'm a big fan of using whatever works that I can lay hands on when I need it. Grin

Me, too....but it makes for some really odd uses sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2009 10:15:51 AM »

I have for turning tubes & corners an assortment of odd tools:
- a dud pencil that had no lead, sharpened but not to a super pointy point.
- a single DPN (Double Pointed knitting Needle), smaller diameter than the pencil
- a dog-chewed # 12? knitting needle sanded down (bigger diameter than the pencil)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiph
~The Itsy-Bisty Spider is my Hero~

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2009 06:17:42 AM »

Freezer paper and a good Sharpie!

I NEVER cut my patterns because I may need another size later.  So, instead I trace my pattern onto freezer paper for multiple uses.  Freezer paper is also great because it's thick and you can iron it right onto your fabric for easy cutting, and remove it easily.   

Tiph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schonleicht
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2009 03:12:04 PM »

An Iron!  You NEED an iron!

You can get away without an ironing board (I sometimes used a folded towel on the table)

It really helps to get straight seams when they're aren't any wrinkles in the fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2009 01:46:48 PM »

My essentials:

The big stuff
My crappy, cheapo, trusty brother ls 2125i.
My 19 year old son. He's a great dress form, and excels at ripping seams, scouting dumpsters for notions and fabric and helping me pin.
My 5.00 thrift store iron and mini, stained, table top ironing board
The floor
The bed
Towels (to cover the floor, the bed, the couch, whatever makes for a bigger iron the days i need one)
My 3.99 Salvation army magnifying desk lamp
An old fish tank stand that now is my sewing table and a folding chair
A wall that has a big tapestry on it. I pin patterns and fabric and various other things to it.

The small stuff
Thread
Needles. A lot of them in various sizes and weights, but i usually don't pay much attention and just grab one. Not a lot of patience here.
Chalk. Various colors. I just get the cheap stuff from crayola. You know, kid chalk. None of that fancy schmancy for me.
Sharpies
A giant, circus pencil. Love that thing
pins. I splurge on good pins. I like ones with giant, neon colored heads. My mom once stepped on one and it broke off in her foot and they had to surgically remove it. It was nasty. I like to be able to see them if they fall, and i work messy.
A lint roller. Takes off chalk dust, and cat hair.
A spray bottle. I get hot, the cats think that patterns are for laying on, and it helps with the steam if i need it when ironing.
Hangers
A few shoelaces with safety pins in the ends. Make great cord turners.
Knitting needles. For poking out corners.
SEAM RIPPER. I splurge on a nicer one of these too.
Heat bond. Gotta love it. I hate french seaming. Makes my life a lil' easier since i don't have a serger...yet (mwahahahah)
Paper clips. For home made patterns.
Bobbins
Fabric
my cell phone to call my mommy
measuring tape
straight edge
pin cushion
lots of those little throw away tupperware dishes. those are great for catching everything
good scissors
a loud radio
a box of triscuits and a bag of chips ahoy and a can of ruby splash sierra mist
And a big basket to keep it all in.

I am still suck at sewing with patterns made by other companies. I'm just learning to sew clothes. Mostly, i've sewn draperies, bedclothes, custom furniture stuffs, purses, things I've invented, etc. But hey, I'm getting there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2009 11:21:14 PM »

Nobody really said much about rulers, the one you need the most is 2"x18, clear, and has tiny 1/8"grid lines all over it. I have others, but this is the one I can't live without. Then, if you get serious, the el-square, the big 6x24 quilting ruler, even a 2"x4ft. flat ruler. this is great as a "smoother", and a weight. In fact, I use them all as weights. On that note, that's something I didn't read in here. Weights. Flat, smooth objects, that hold patterns in place, whether you use pins or not. I once came upon a stack of  man-made countertop samples. They were about 3x4", 1/2 " thick . and smooth on all edges. It was a lucky find. I found them in a building where an architect moved out. You get the idea. they can be made of lot's of things, as long as they are smooth, and easy to pick up. Hockey pucks. Small hardback books. can't live without them. They even sell them just for sewing. A collection of buttons, hooks, snaps, zippers. A stash of elastic. Different types. A stash of any kind of soft fill, or lining , backing fabric. Plastic bags. Different sizes. Oh, can't live without plastic storage bins. All sizes, on rollers, or off. But they have to be see thru. All my thread is sorted into zip-lock storage bags. This way, I don't have to dig, and they get less tangled. Also, no dust can crust up on them. Keep any hardware from any clothes, or belts or handbags. Sometime in your life you'll be glad. K.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yojimbo

Ronin With Scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2009 09:51:19 AM »

A sewing space!

For me, having a separate space for crafting/sewing is essential to my sanity.  In our old apartment, I converted our breakfast nook into a craft room.  Now, our guest bedroom is rapidly becoming my sewing room.  I have a small, antique sewing desk, a sewing machine, and a box of notions - all crammed in next to our guest bed.  I've also managed to sneak in a particle board, which I've hung over my sewing machine.  I tack up -anything- that inspires me from magazine clippings to fabric.  My space is super tiny, though.  I don't have anywhere to cut my fabric (except for the bed or floor, which isn't always reliable in terms of keeping measurements).  Does anyone have any ideas on how to work a small sewing space?

Also, I second PeanutPaterooski on a loud radio!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009 09:52:24 AM by Yojimbo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_abi
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2009 04:50:41 PM »

Because you're cutting out on the bed, why not get a cutting mat  that folds up to fit under the bed?  My mother has a large cardboard one (not the green self-healing ones) that folds.  It would make for a flatter surface. 

I usually cut out patterns on the dining room table, though it may take me a couple of days to return my sewing stuff to my lair. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
pinkpalace
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2009 08:49:49 PM »

Hi there

i got my first machine about a year ago and have been practicising on and off.
I have since been reading up on things i should buy to make clothing easier?

Such as

Pinking Shears
Binding tape

Anything else i should buy while i am out?
basics that you should always have in your sewing box?

TIA

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx
PP
pyrobaby
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2009 12:08:07 AM »

I'm a beginner myself, but these things have helped me:

pins - zillions and zillions of pins! I swear I never have enough x_X
extra bobbins
different types of needles for the machine - ie ballpoints for knits, stronger ones for denim/thick fabric, etc
seam ripper - my machine came with a little one but I'm glad I bought a bigger one
chalk or those marking pencils in a few diff. colors
fusible webbing/interfacing, etc

I guess overall though it depends what you wanna make! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look from Anna Sui Fall 2014
How to Do a True Bold Lip
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Ivy Boyd
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Nicci Gilland
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Alyssa Wallace
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...