A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Recipes  (Read 5310 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GummiSteph
« on: April 01, 2004 03:54:08 PM »

Hi! I am a vegetarian and am thinking about becoming vegan.  I love to bake, so not being able to use eggs, milk or butter seems daunting.  Does anyone have any good ideas about substitutions or recipes?  Also, if any of you have any words of wisdom about veganism, let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004 03:59:56 PM »

here are some yummy ones Wink
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=55;action=display;threadid=1652
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004 05:17:28 PM »

I would ask that you please see your doctor before becoming vegan, that way you can get the proper vitamins to supplement your diet. other than that, good for you and I hope you enjoy your new lifestyle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seltsam

I am bunnycore.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004 12:01:21 PM »

i heard to use bananas instead of eggs. this would be the easiest way. but i haven't try it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toast.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004 02:47:22 PM »

I would ask that you please see your doctor before becoming vegan, that way you can get the proper vitamins to supplement your diet. other than that, good for you and I hope you enjoy your new lifestyle!

i disagree with this. no offence, but i know for a fact if you're healthy while being vegetarian, or even when eating meat, then converting to vegan should be just fine if you still eat the same base foods ( lots of rice and pasta, legumes and HEAPS of vegies and fruit)
.. subsitute eggs for 'no egg' powder, or arrowroot powder, mayple syrup or bananas.
substitute milk for soy, almond or rice.
substitute butter for a veg oil based margarine.
eat alot of fruit and vegies, which you should already do if you are veg. eat alot of nut and seeds. make sprouts.
eat some tofu etc. for protein. although nuts and seeds'll do that.
the conversion to vegan from vegetarian is surely not so huge? like you say there are only eggs and butter to worry about, those are easy.
i went from eating meat one day to vegan the next. and i did it perfectly easily and healthily. you can too. ( not to blow my own trumpet.. i had my reasons for doing it this way.. and if anything making a slow transformation would have been alot easier).
if you want any more advie or have any more questions, you're more then welcome to pm me.
but really.. vegan is not as hard or as much of a 'health risk' as you think. dietians and nutritionalists noiw readily admit it is possible to live a very very healthy live with no animal products at all, perhaps even more healthy than eating meat!
good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004 03:14:57 PM »

I'm agreeing with Toast. You don't need supplements if you eat properly. Now I have to say that TONS of veg*ans eat horrid, and need extra vitamins because they can't get those from chips and such.

http://www.vegweb.org/ and http://www.vegsource.com/ are GREAT resources!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004 03:19:07 PM by Xanthia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004 04:23:22 PM »

I also agree with Toast.  I've been vegan for 7 years.  I did have anemia 6 years ago when I was in college taking 22 credits, working a late night dining hall job, and eating crap.  But not since then.  I eat fresh veggies and fruit as much as I can, and I try to eat a wide variety of them.  Broccoli is especially nutritious, as are bananas and nutritional yeast.  

I do take a daily multivitamin, but hey, I exercise 6 times a week and I need more than most people.  I also make sure to take a pill that does not have more than 100% of any vitamins-- overloading is just as scary and not getting enough.

I've been running long distance and training for a marathon for about a year, and although people are surprised and often discouraging when they learn I'm doing so while being vegan, no one knows I'm vegan unless I tell them.  

GummiSteph, you can do it, and you'll be so proud of yourself!
--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yami mcmoots
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004 10:19:33 PM »

I've never found vegan substitutes to be quite as good as the original; with traditional European animal-heavy cooking you can taste the difference. Which is not to say that it doesn't come out tasty - it's just not as luxurious as butter and lard. Smiley

Here's what I usually do when cooking for vegan friends:
  • Soy milk for milk of course - but soy milk tends to be a little sweeter than cow's milk (particularly the vanilla flavored stuff) so I often cut out some of the sugar from the recipe.
  • Coconut milk for cream. Coconut milk ice cream is super-duper tasty!
  • Avoid egg substitutes in anything more complicated than cookies. Eggs provide leavening (use baking powder or soda), binding (use more flour) and moistening (use applesauce, bananas, soft tofu, oil, etc) all at once, and the substitutes you need will really depend on why the egg is important to the dish. It's possible to make anything short of a full-blown vegan souffle (and maybe someone's even done that, I don't know) but I've never gotten it exactly right on the first try.
  • Avoid all substitute cheese products, they are nasty. There are no acceptable substitutes for cheese.
Recipes designed to be vegan are always tastier than hastily altered ones imo, and certainly more likely to coax us omnivores away from our precious, precious buckets of lard... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004 10:24:03 PM »

I'm agreeing with Toast. You don't need supplements if you eat properly. Now I have to say that TONS of veg*ans eat horrid, and need extra vitamins because they can't get those from chips and such.

this is my point, not trying to offend, but some people enter into veganism without the correct information, that's all I am saying. I shan't say much more, since it seems I am pissing people off as of late
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004 07:37:26 AM »

Well...I just stumbled across this link today.  It might not be what you're looking for, but you never know......its living/raw food, fyi.

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

also this might be of interest

http://forums.delphiforums.com/veggietable
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Bat
How to Make an Origami Inflatable Bunny
How to Make an Origami Flapping Bird
How to Fold an Origami Sailboat
How to Fold an Origami Swan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...