A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japanese, bamboo, plum - help me to focus my redecorating ideas!?  (Read 1071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fairie_shoes
« on: July 20, 2005 05:59:30 AM »

My room is average size, its a converted attic space i think, so the walls slope slightly at the ceiling.  Theres a kind of small alcove at the window where I would like to have some sort of sitting area.. apart from that the furniture is shelves, a coffee table/chest, my bed and my desk with sewing machine etc. I've been trying to simplify and minimise the room recently, and have removed as much extra shelves as i could!

I replaced the curtains a while ago with some made out of gorgeous plummy/black fabric... but apart from that it is a blank canvas. The walls at the moment are basically a mucky colour, as is the carpet (which I want to replace).
So I would like help with ideas for walls, carpet styles, and hints for declutering!  I like the idea of having a japanese-esque room, and have a real fondness for bamboo.. but I would also like to inject some colour to my room which is where the curtains were coming from... 

ANY suggestions at all would be fantastic  Cheesy
thankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dancing barefoot
sheenyweeny
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005 06:16:46 AM »

I think red makes a fabulous colour for japanesesque rooms, but since it's also quite an aggressive colour, what about a feature wall, maybe the wall behind your head as you sleep. Other colours for japanese style rooms are warm beige, white, black and dark shades of green! but don't mash the colours together.

Build yourself or look out for a beautiful simple bamboo screen to divide your room from the window alcove to make it nice and private and declutter the room a bit. If you have a lot of stuff, as many craftsters do, box them in pretty woven boxes and baskets that come in all sizes and shelf them. you could decorate them with beautiful handpainted chopsticks!

if you have to have a carpet go for a neutral colour that'll work with the walls, alternatively you could put tatami mats all over the floor, even over your already existing carpet!

i'm not an interior designer but i handle decor for events and parties so i hope i inspired you a bit. have fun with it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is like a sandwich, the more u put into it, the better it becomes!

well behaved women rarely make history :p
Neliamne
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005 07:44:40 AM »

If you're looking for window covering solutions, try:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=38915.0
I love these shoji window screens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silencepainter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005 01:56:05 PM »

Im slowly working on my living room with is a japanese/oriental type theme.

I have a red couch, and this plum colored chair and I very much like it.  I think the richness of the plum color works very well with the theme.  So I say the curtains will tie in fine.  Smiley

A lot of craftstores have big sticks of dried out bamboo that you can use around your room, you might want to give that a look.  Maybe find away to hang your curtains up with some bamboo rods? 

Lauren

THIS ROCKS   Logged
josita
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005 03:30:05 PM »

Another effect to try on one wall--perhaps the one with the window and plummy curtains: Do the wall in a flat color (e.g., creamy pale yellow) and then use a high-gloss version of the same color to paint bamboo stalks from floor to ceiling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selecting Skin Tones in Photoshop CS6
How to Use Variable Stroke Width in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Use the Shape Builder Tool in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Save Artboards in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Perspective Drawing in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...