A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yellowing Marble Magnets...  (Read 3320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laamissa
« on: April 01, 2004 03:34:27 PM »

Has anyone else experienced their marble magnet images turning yellow a while after being made and up on the fridge?
I used Silicon sealear glue and thought it was great at first....
anyone have a similar event and do you have any sure-fire glue brands that wont yellow?
Thanks  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004 11:13:20 AM »

I used a liquid laminate that was in the glue isle of the craft store to glue the paper cutout to the marble.  Then Tacky glue to glue the magnet on.  I have had pretty good luck with this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quackyduck
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004 03:56:27 PM »

I made a whole bunch about a year and a half ago and they haven't yellowed or come apart or anything - they are just fine! I used plain old Elmer's glue and also tacky glue, - for both the paper part and the magnet part.
I originally bought the marbles at Michael's Craft Supply, but for the last year I have't been able to find any more there (I guess everyone else is also addicted to this craft!). I have been looking everywhere for them for months.  I went to Walmart yesterday and found the last two mesh bags of clear flat marbles and came home and stayed up 'til midnight making 75 new magnets. Must..make..more..magnets...... it is SO fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004 09:48:34 AM »

thanks guys!    Wink
Anyone use E6000 glue?? or Gorilla glue....Id like to know if anyone has used either of these and if they are good?

Gorilla glue fashions itself as the "stongest glue on earth"......like to know what cha think?
Maybe it would be good to use for microbead work...   ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004 09:42:38 AM »

I have not used either of those glues...I think maybe they are pricey?  I have done microbead work using a thin layer of tacky glue.  Seemed to work fine cause it dries clear.  It's not waterproof though if that matters to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlisonLou
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004 10:44:21 AM »

I'm using E6000 for my magnets and for other various and sundry beading and crafting  uses.  I've heard some people complain that it's expensive, but I payed less then $5 for a big tube and have been happy with the results and its versatility.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004 03:00:46 PM »

Yikes!  Undecided  Those marbles magnets were selling like hot cakes at Christmas time! And I made all of them with that silicon glue. It's nasty stuff, too. I would have much preferred to work with Tacky Glue or Weldbond but I was worried about white glues not being strong enough or that they might go yellow. Has anybody else had the yellowing thing going on?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Laamissa
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004 08:41:12 AM »

OK.....So I looked into this a little.....

My mom works in a jewelry store and she asked the jeweler there about silicon sealer and E6000 glues.......He said that any soft epoxy will yellow after time!   Ahhh!

Just thought Id give you all a heads up!  I made probably 200 or so marble mag's for friends and they are all starting to show signs of the dreaded yellow! Undecided
(Especially the ones in a direct path of sunlight! so be careful of this)  Hope this is helpful!   ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004 07:16:11 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, Laamissa! So, just to clarify, should we be using a white glue like Weldbond or Tacky Glue to stave off the dreaded yellowing?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Laamissa
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004 11:32:58 AM »

Hello Indie Anna!  Yeah....it looks like that would be our best bet....Ive never tried it before So I just hope that the "white" glues (that dry clear) are strong enough to hold the weight of the marble!     ~M
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004 11:33:21 AM by Laamissa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sock Puppet
How to Make a Nun Costume
How to Make a Thanksgiving Cornucopia
How to Make Egg-Carton Lights
How to Make a Pirate Costume
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...