A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Tiki Bedroom ( My first post- be nice)  (Read 6285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mickie Faraday

Here's lookin' at you, kid..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005 10:41:02 AM »

oh wow..the night lamp and the tiki masks on the turquoise dresser look awesome!! It seems that you could add so much more to it..palm leaves, pineapples, hula girls!! you can't have any tiki bedroom with no hula girls!!! Unless..YOU're the hula girl in that case i'll be quiet.  Grin

Haha you have any Elvis pics??..like shots from the movie Blue Hawaii. you said you wanted retro.

http://www.elvisinhawaii.com/frame.html

but the stuff you have is sooo cool, it makes me want one of thosea tropical fruity cocktail drinks, drinks you know the ones that are served in a coconut cup and a straw with an umbrella!! woo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005 10:46:22 AM »

Waaay cool. Thanks for everything! I'll tell ya what, when my husband is done with the bar.. Ill invited you all over for blue frozen things with tiny umbrellas and plastic monkeys hanging from the rims of the glasses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnighttoker
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005 04:36:58 PM »

I really dig your Tiki theme... and I read about the drawer pull thing...
you could make your own out of bamboo, they even sell it at places like Michaels now. It'd be easy to just saw some little pieces and sand them down, and drill a hole in the back for the screw. You could even spray polyurethane them with something like Triple Thick, to make them look nice and glossy.
Just a random thought..
have a good weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Never Grow a wishbone, daughter, where a backbone oughta be." -Clementine Paddleford
UkeBoy

Lets all be the lives of the parties!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005 08:48:37 AM »

Totally sweet room....wayyyyyyyyy yy cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always dress for Paradise...you may have to board the ship today!"
Veritas_rose
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005 01:28:38 PM »

Wow! That looks great! I'm currently working on a Tiki back porch. I found this great bamboo looking stuff at Home Depot. It's really cheap and comes in a big roll. I'm using it to enclose the porch, but you could use it for just about anything.
  Another good idea... my closet was missing it's doors, so I got some really tall bamboo blinds and mounted them above the closet, so now they double as doors. That would look really cool in your Tiki room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005 01:31:21 PM »

I just love those ideas.... the tough thing is we are renting at the moment...... things will get much more drastic when I dont have to explain palm tree murals or bamboo hung doorways to a landlord.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veritas_rose
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005 01:41:41 PM »

Lol! That's true. I'm lucky enough to be renting from my Dad, so he let's me do just about anything I want. (He figures what with the condition the previous owners lived in, anything I do will be an improvement!)
 As far as that cool bamboo stuff from Home Depot, you could totally make a room divider out of it or something. I was going to make a little screen for my room, all vintage like to dress behind. I'm going to paint a dragon on it. (hee hee.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005 01:44:13 PM »

Lucky you. Will your Dad let me in too? j/k
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SweetMirandaJane
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006 07:29:10 PM »

Hey Pedeka,

How weird.  I made a mannequin lamp almost exactly like yours with my bf a little while ago.  We found the mannequin in the attic of the house we rent a room in, and combined it with a hideously ugly clear plastic floor lamp with a hexagonal table jutting out in the middle.  Then we just wired a lightbulb into her belly through her leg hole.  We call her "Darla the Lammequin."

I wanted to warn you, if you don't already know, about not putting your average-wattage bulbs in there.  I REALLY wish I had used more common sense in the beginning, and put a much lower wattage in Darla, but such was not the case.  After a particularly long Darla-illuminated night, I discovered when trying to remove her (a.k.a. MY) skirt that it was stuck to her poor melted abdomen  Undecided.  My skirt, needless to say, was ruined, and I'm still brainstorming ways to perform surgery on poor Darla.  I learned two valuable lessons: a) don't dress the Lammequin in your own clothes, particularly things you like, and b) use a very, very low-wattage lightbulb.  Darla is currently outfitted with one of those novelty bulbs with the bendy spikes on it....er, like this one http://www.gadgethub.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductGroupID=10498#.  It doesn't get too hot, and she's protected from it by the sillicone spikes.

Good luck with Dolly, and with your Tiki room!

xoxo SweetMirandaJane
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I - I've made you a friend hat.
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006 12:34:49 PM »

SweetMirandaJane- Thanks for the concern. But have no worry. Dolly is an old Maidenform Bra display and was built to be lit up for advertising purposes. She is well ventilated and seems to enjoy the heat. And theres no way that I could wear that size 30-B bikini top that she has on,so she gets her own wardrobe. Smiley But, it is all going to get torn apart and redone soon. My DH and I are looking to buy our own house and hopefully will get to introduce Dolly's " warm glow of electric sex" to a whole new unsuspecting neighborhood!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tony Matelli, New Works, Leo Koenig Gallery
Tobias Buche, at Lehmann Maupin
How to Make a Paper Mache Baby Dragon
How to Make a Paper Mache Fishwichwich
How to Make a Paper Mache Pig
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...