A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I love fabric bowls too  (Read 1908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LRS
« on: July 19, 2005 02:37:22 PM »

It's addictive.  I've made at least 20 fabric bowls.  Linda Johannson's book tells you how to do it "Fun, Fast & Easy Fabric Bowls."  Here are a few recent bowls.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/32585L001-1_Medium_.JPG

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/32585L003-1_Medium_.JPG

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 12:30:27 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
tygra
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005 09:09:39 PM »

COOL! but i don't quite understand how your fabric is seemingly defying the very laws of gravity?!? did you use some sorta stiffener? please explain... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

übercherry goodies make you feel übercheery inside!
http://ubercherry.com
http://ubercherry.blogspot.com
rainbow_art

taste the rainbow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005 05:13:48 AM »

Wow these are so pretty!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005 05:28:41 AM »

Bedcadet, Johansen recommends machine quilting.  I've found that the shape of the bowl and the fabric often suggest quilt patterns.  Some are just free-hand squiggles; some are straight rows of stitching.  Some I've taken from Celtic designs, sashiko, or other continuous patterns. 

The applique in the center of the round bowl is part of the basic instructions in the book.  

Tygra, the bowls are stiffened with a fusible interfacing - very, very heavy duty.  The book recommends Timtex or Peltex.  Both are almost 1/8" thick and are fusible on both sides.  So you can iron fabric onto both sides of it, then make the bowl.  You can use a non-fusible, then use Wonder Under to fuse the fabric to the interfacing.  But I can't see making extra steps.  I'm now buying TimTex 5 or 6 yards at a time! 

Bowls are all reversible - you can put either side out.  Pictures 3 and 4 are the same bowl, flipped to the other side.

My "improvement" is that the book explains how to finish the edges with tight zig-zag stitches over a cord.  I sometimes do that.  But sometimes
    1.  I leave an extra 1" all around on one of the fabrics; turn under half of the excess; fold it over the edge and stitch it down, or
    2.  Use a bias binding all around to finish the edge.

Once you make a couple of these, you can see all sorts of possibilities.  You could embroider some fabric before you make a bowl.  You can patch together fabrics.  You do the quilting in a strong contrast color to make it more of a design element. 

I'd love to provide a tutorial, but the technique is really owned by Linda Johansen. ( I misspelled her name in my first post).  In addition to "Fun, Fast & Easy Fabric Bowls", she also wrote "Fun, Fast & Easy Fabric Boxes", and "Fun, Fast & Easy Irresists-a-Bowls".  The boxes are fun to make, but a lot more work than bowls and, IMHO, the bowls are more attractive.  The second bowl book adds more variations and techniques.  The first Bowl book was a very big seller, so you may be able to get it from a public library.  

I've got a bunch of templates now for square, round, octogan, and hexagon bowls in various sizes.  Some of the craft suppliers sell a heavy plastic template for bowls.  I bought it and now think it was a waste of money.  I don't want to stick with one shape and one size. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
McJulie-O
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005 05:34:21 AM »

Fascinating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j-me
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005 08:47:56 PM »

What a cute idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Benefits of Comic Books to Children
A Brief History of Comics
The Contribution of Recessions to Creativity
How Internet Ruins Graphic Designing
Milton Glaser on the I Love New York Logo
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...