A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calling all St. Louis Suburbanites!  (Read 9762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

autumnelayne

Such is the way of the Craft Ninja.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2005 10:09:34 AM »

Hiya gals, I live in O'Fallon, IL and have been hanging out a bit over on the MO board. Theres a few of us talking about getting together to hang out and craft at one of those neat beer gardens in Soulard. Let me know if you are interested!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guinthegoodwitch
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005 09:28:21 PM »

I would be interested in getting a group together here on the illinios side. I live in bellevillie,il. I woud even be interested in opening up my home and hosting it here. So if anyone on this side of the river is interested in getting together to craft I would love to host it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sorchah
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005 07:16:03 AM »

i'm kinda far away..but 'm sorta close to st. louis...i'm in marion/carbondale....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Danyell
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005 04:09:22 PM »

I'm in O'Fallon....but only 19...so too young for the beer garden!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005 08:17:15 PM »

Hi Danyell! Oh this is such an old post we actually have been hanging out at coffee shops and whatever cool art/craft festivals we can find to go to. All talk, but no beer lol. What kinds of crafts do you do? Where do ya work and stuff? I work up at Dick Blick in Fairview and I teach an art class to kids at the Caty Cavins center.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005 08:33:44 AM »

Haha...I work at Michaels in Fairview Heights as a Custom Framer. I'm hoping to be able to quit doing that for a bit and teach classes on crochetting, even thought my passion is knitting.

My main craft seems to be spinning, lately, but I also love to knit, crochet, sew, ....do anything!

I made this yarn last night!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005 12:39:26 PM »

How cool! They are building that new Michaels next to Target, will they be closing the fairview store when that opens? I just learned to spin wool a couple weeks ago and I so love it!!! Your yarn is beautiful (mine lookis much more lumpy lol)! Only problem is that I do not know how to knit, and have only dabbled in crochet. I want to learn though. I actually picked up a flyer last time I was at Michaels and was thinking of taking one of those classes after the holidays. If you are looking to teach elsewhere though I would certainly run the knit/crochet class idea past the Parks and Rec. Director! They just put out the fall/winter schedule, but you could set it up for spring. It's pretty cool there, they basically let me teach whatever classes I want, charge whatever I want and they get 35% of the cut. I have a new "Get Crafty" series of workshops I'm doing for kids. It's pretty much aimed at girls to get them interested in crafting. We'll be making ipod cozies from felt and stuff like that.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005 11:46:54 AM »

Yeah, I would love to teach a spinning or knitting class there! Run it by them! Don't hesistate.

I will be teaching a soap-making class on November 25th at Michaels for $10...you only buy the raw soap. I provide dyes and colors.

They are moving the Fairview Heights store to O'Fallon....and the Fairview Heights one is becoming  a Jo Anns! We are moving around January!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005 07:37:19 AM »

Holy shnikees. I don't know what I'm more excited about now, Michaels being closer to home or that they are going to have a Super-Joanne's! I had no idea and I guess am a little bummed because Joanne's is right next store to us now and I go over there a lot on my breaks. Oh weeell Cheesy
I will run your class ideas by Andy, our parks and rec director next time I see him, I'm sure he'll go for it Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005 01:09:39 PM »

Hehe. I haven't been in a Jo-Anns for yeeeeeaaaars, so I'm sure I'll need to run by and check it all out.

I hope Andy likes the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005 07:32:49 PM »

Run by and see our halloween window dsplay at Dick Blick too! I'm so proud of it, it's all done up ala Edward Gorey. I painted the mural on the glass and did some of the backround, but all of us there contributed. I am doing my very first craft show in 2 weeks (well the only one so far I seen worth doing anyways). It's called the Rock n' Roll Craft Show and it's in St. Louis. Here is the website with all the info:
www.rocknrollcrafts how.com
Anyhoo, the chica who taught me how to spin wool is going to be there too, as well as most of the members of the newly formed St. Louis Craft Mafia which it looks like I'm joining Cheesy. Woohoo for wacked out crafters Grin. I'm teaching a class tomorrow night, if Andy ain't there I will e-mail him Wednesday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005 08:23:35 AM »

Whooho! I saw the web-site for the Rock N Roll Craft Show. I wasn't planning on going. I have a lot of plans that day...but maybe I'll swing by there now...it sounds nifty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005 08:45:50 AM »

I just went to the Quilt Show in O'Fallon. Anyone else attend? It was much better than the one i went to in St. Louis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/classycrafter

classycrafter.etsy. com
autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005 06:18:49 PM »

Oh kewl, maybe I'll see ya there! I was actually at Michael's and Gordmans this morning but I didn't think that the old man behind the frame counter was you lol. I talked to Mary Jean who is actually Andy's boss and she said for you to please give them a call she is all for you giving those classes! I am PMing you the # Cheesy.

Hi classycrafter, I caught a glimpse about the quilt show on channel 10. I'm not much into quilting, but my craft buddy Calicoon is. She has quilting bees at her house sometimes.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005 06:40:28 AM »

Oh quilting bees...that sounds fun!! I just started quilting and decided to make a christmas quilt. It might not be ready till next christmas though at the pace im going!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter.etsy. com
Danyell
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005 07:08:23 AM »

Speaking of quilting, Michaels is doing a warm-up America campaign. Each person involved makes a quilt square, and some time at the end of this month, everyone gets together and make a quilt! They have information on their web-site!

I will definetely give her a call, today! I'm super-psyched.

P.S. Yeah, you saw Fred at the counter. That's my manager. He cracks me up because anytime something messes up back there, he doesn't curse - he says "you sausage."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005 08:40:09 AM »

"You Sausage" !!?? That is sooo funny!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter.etsy. com
Danyell
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005 07:31:19 AM »

Yeah, he's a good guy. Nothing really ever makes him angry.

Nothing is a big deal to him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005 07:05:08 AM »

Hey there Danyell! I did pretty good at the RnR craft show but I was sort of tired with sewing after the thing was over with. I had made 13 wallets, 7 wristlets, and 9 purses...and basically had to marathon sew all last week. The night after the show I picked up some knitting needles, yarn and the Stitch and Bitch book, and guess what...I'm on my second scarf already! Wow, I'm hooked Cheesy. Have you seen this little yarn shop that just opened on Vine St. in O'Fallon? It's called The Beaded Fabric Patch. I stopped in yesterday and they have so many amazing yarns like Apalca, wool, mohair and lots of lovely blends. The stuff is so much nicer than what you find at the craft stores and reasonably priced as well. Kooky hours though, only open like 10-5, oh well it's really cool you should check it out Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005 09:23:49 AM »

I've been there 4 times, already. She knows me by name Smiley

It's a couple of blocks from my house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005 12:25:52 PM »

LOL, me too I'm across the street from the park! Have you ever been in that 3 Sisters Craft Store by there? It looks like more crafted stuff than craft suppliesfrom the window, I've never ventured in though. You ever talk to anyone at Parks and Rec about giving a class? I have so many freaking classes and workshops scheduled they take up almost a whole page in the brochure Tongue. I think I'm meeting Allison tonight in St. Louis to go Stitch and Bitch, proabably will hang again in a couple weeks too and yur welcome to join Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2005 12:52:17 PM »

I called and left a message, but never got called back.

I actually found the Beaded Fiber Patch by accident. I was trying to find another yarn/wool place I found online, but it didn't exist and I figured I'd just drive down that street because it seems like the kind of place that would have a craft store. I found that 3 Sisters store and went in, and it's a cute little shop. They have a lot of already-made things...but I wasn't in there long. I talked to the lady about what I was looking for and she directed me to the Beaded Fiber Patch.

It's worth checking out at least. You might be able to sell some swag there Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005 07:29:23 AM »

Oh what a bunch of Foooeeey, I'll bring it up next time I talk to Andy. I got another gal at work started knitting too now, we keep runing over to Hobby Lobby on our breaks to take advantage of the sales. Needles and stuff are half off this week again. The Yarn Bee yarns are pretty fun too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005 06:05:09 PM »

I had half off everything all week at Michaels last week. Oh, dear...I spent so much money!

I still haven't heard back from anyone....I really would like to teach a knitting or spinning class (or both).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005 06:15:37 AM »

lol, me too...knitting ain't the cheapest hobby I guess Wink. Don't worry, they just came out with the fall/winter brochure and they won't be doing another one till after Xmas, so there's still plenty of time. Did I PM you Andy's e-mail? That is how I correspond with them normally, he usually gets back to me pretty quick, I could e-mail him your e-mail address if ya want too. Umm, geez I am on a Day-quil high and I'm not sure I am making any sense this morning Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005 10:07:37 AM »

He finally called me yesterday...right when I was in a hurry and getting ready for work. I'm swinging by today to pick up some papers to fill out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005 07:29:49 AM »

Awesome! Me and my friend Alicia went to The Ground Floor coffee shop in Belleville last night and were sitting around knitting and met a couple other knitters who want to start a Stitch and Bitch. There is also going to be a fashion show and a small craft show up there in December. The owner said she was only charging like $10 to be in the craft show. The only problem with bringing the knitting project up there is that now the wool yarn and scarf I was working on totally smell of smoke, which, is sort of inevitable because I am a light smoker and the scarf is for me so oh well Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005 02:32:28 PM »

Hey! It was nice to meet you, today.

Of course, you came in at the exact busiest I have EVER been. EVER. I was supposed to actually be off fifteen minutes BEFORE I saw you..haha. I'm sorry I wasn't very chatty. Normally I'd have had tons to say. jkslejf;sdlkfjgdfklhdfgjsa;/lfdkf stresssss!

Oh, dear. I'm still stressed from all of that. I wish I had a different job, in a smaller, quieter store.

I'm psyched about the classes you helped me get, though! I'm in debt to you Smiley I'd also be totally up for forming a Stitch N Bitch. I know they have a STL chapter, and they're located on Yahoo! Groups...but they all meet in Missouri. I want to find a coffee shop that doesn't have too much smoke and has couches Smiley St. Louis bread Co has couches...but I don't know how open they'd be to a group of knitters...hehe

When I went to a yarn shop in Missouri, the lady told me about Cafe Dolce in O'Fallon. It's down past OFTHS quite a bit, and it's on the left. I've never gone in..but apparently the owner of the coffee shop knits! That'd be a neat place!

If you want to just e-mail me, or if you have AIM, or if you want my phone number: let me know! I'm off a lot the next couple of weeks. (Thank heaven.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005 06:44:11 AM »

Hi there! Yeah I was on a crafty shopping mission that day looking for cool paper and stuff to use to make Xmas cards and also doing some decoupage gifts. EVERYWHERE I went was busy, you looked stressed and I didn't want to bother you! That is so funny you brought up Cafe Dolce, I do infact know the place pretty well, Alicia worked there for a stint, also have talked to the owner about doing a mural but she wanted to pay peanuts for it was the problem. I was doing macrame one day at Bread Company and you would not believe the looks I was getting it was hilarious. Have you been to The Coffee House across from the movie theater in O'Fallon? That is a real cozy little place with couches. The only thing is I think they have weird hours, close early during the week I believe. I'm going back to Ground Floor tonight to some movie they are showing(I'll be toting my smoky scarf to work on though). Will see if I can stake out any places around there that might be less smoky too. I'm PMing you my digits and such!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2005 12:40:18 PM »

I was going to check out the STL Stitch N Bitch today, but I've yet to check the hours of the meeting and all that, plus I think I need a lazy day at home.

I pretty much quit my job at Michaels'....it's that bad. I would never recommend working there to anyone. SO unprofessional and pushy.

I didn't know there was a coffee house by the theater. I know there is one called Cafe Avantti or something like that across from Applebee's and Target and all of that in O'Fallon/Shiloh.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005 12:42:14 PM by Danyell » THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2005 07:39:39 PM »

I ended up not going out after all, needed a lazy evening at home Tongue. I have never really liked any of the big retail stores I've worked at except maybe Best Buy was fun, guess it just depends on the people ya work with though. I luvs me some Cafe Avanti but pretty much just because it has a drive thru, the coffee/food is alright, the inside is sort of uninviting. I don't have to work again till Friday yaaay, maybe I'll actually make some progress on my many craft works in progress (er too many are actually just ideas at the moment). Would surely be up for a bit of S&B one night, I think I could round up a few people...why drive to St. Louis, we can start our own Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2005 07:38:04 AM »

I'm in. I have class tonight until 7:20, and I *might* work at Michaels tomorrow 4-10ish and then I have class again on Wednesday until 7:20 p.m. But, I'm off Thursday and schedule for Michaels on Friday. But, like I said, Michaels is a *might* because I'm looking for other employment and I have an interview in a couple of hours. If I get hired at this place, I am saying GOODBYE to Michaels....even though this place is all the way back in Missouri and on the RUSH HOUR speedway known as I-270. I don't care. That's how much I loathe Michaels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2005 06:17:23 AM »

Heya, I haven't been on in a couple days! I got my Last Minute Knitted Gifts and S&B Nation books from amazon on Tuesday and have been drewling over them, while franticly working on a ribbed scarf Tongue. I really can't wait to try a hat! Actually I just work today from 10-4 and I'm free tonight. If ya want to go knitting tonight give me a call on my cel or Dick Blick is in the phone book. I'm going to call some of my knitty friends too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005 07:51:47 AM »

Well, we went to the Missouri Botanical Gardens yesterday and had lunch in the Loop, then he had band practice so I had to sit there. I didn't even get home until 9:30 p.m.

And now I work an 8+ hour closing shift at Michaels.

I really hate that place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2005 07:28:42 PM »

Heya, I just got off work myself Tongue. We close at 8 right now but will start staying open till 9 after Thanksgiving, which I think is sort of pointless for a little art supply store. We had 3 peeps knitting at Ground Floor last night and it was fun, I love that place Smiley. Looks like the 3 of us are going to hang out up there again tomorrow night,some others might pop in, we're trying to figure out a good night during the week to have S&B on a regular basis. Maybe Tuesdays hmm. Well, if you get this in time, call/text/e-mail me if ya want to meet us up there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005 04:38:16 PM »

Well, I ended up getting fired from Michaels and I've been in a mad dash to get another job.

I start on Monday at Security Armored Car in downtown St. Louis...fulltime 9 to 5er. Weird, eh?

BUT, that means I'll be free for nights! Which means I can Stitch N Bitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005 03:08:01 PM »

Wow, been so long since I been on here I have been so freakin busy..drama drama drama this time of year. I am knitting hats like crazy they are so fun and quick on circulars. Are you going to that knitting night at Beaded Fiber Patch? Mea keeps reminding me about it lol. Hope your job is going good I have had a few mural jobs come up besides working the ridiculous extended hours at Dick Blick. I'm freakin pooped Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005 06:05:18 PM »

I don't have class anymore! When's the next Tuesday nighter?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2005 07:41:01 AM »

Hiya I haven't been on here in ages it seems like been so busy making stuff for Xmas. We have been having SnB's every tuesday this month, I am not sure if I am going tonight though I'm pretty sick right now. Next week for sure though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danyell
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2006 12:34:21 PM »

Blegh! I was gone even longer! Work has me WORN OUT!

I finished the cabled newsboy cap from SnBN...and I've already started another one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006 11:22:58 PM »

Hey!   I'm from the St. Louis Iliinois 'burbs!   I'm living in Cahokia right now, but spend a lot of my time in Belleville/Swansea.  Y'all still get together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
autumnelayne

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006 07:54:50 PM »

Hi Starfire, our SnB sort of dissolved. Weeknights just get crazy any way you slice it. I've been going to this one over in Clayton at a Starbucks on Sunday afternoons. Would be nice to find somewhere a little closer though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blockhead24
Dabbles in all Crafts

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2007 11:45:41 AM »

I am about 30 mins from Ofallon in Breese.  (Podunks..lol)  What kind of crafts and such do you or did you do in your group?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catsjewelry

Beading is a way of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007 10:27:06 PM »

we should start something her in the ofallon,il area. we could meet at the new barnes and noble one night on the weekends or a night during the week once a month or something
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winter83
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2007 09:14:07 AM »

I live like an hour from st louis but I would totally come to something! There are hardly any craftsters in my area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Dreidel Drinking
How to Play Beer Checkers
How to Play Snap
How to Use the Ouija Board
How to Prepare for a Scavenger Hunt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...