A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keeping your thread neat.  (Read 1965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chelsea
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005 01:58:53 PM »

I'm going to get those stitchbows sometime this week.   But what I use now are little ziplock bags.  They sell them in the embroidery section, but you can use regular small ziplock bags too.  You could just use a hole punch to punch holes in the bottom corners and keep them all together and in order w/ a little metal ring. 

They've NEVER gotten tangled.   

I'm getting the stitchbows just because this method is really good for projects (like cross stitch) but not as good for storing all of my floss just because it's a teensy bit too messy for me to have all kinds of bundles of ziplocks Smiley     I thought the stitch bows were only like $5....but maybe I was looking at the wrong thing.  This is great if you're not wanting to spend a lot of money.   Some people complain about the little cards because they leave kinks in the thread.  I used those a long time ago when I used to make friendship bracelets in 3rd grade.  They were always getting bent and torn.   But they might make plastic ones now, not just cardboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenhook
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005 05:10:33 PM »

Katinka - the gold concept is available in australia check your local craft store, if you are in melbounre clegs and lincraft carry it, or I can get it and send it to where you are.
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005 03:08:08 AM »

Some people complain about the little cards because they leave kinks in the thread.  I used those a long time ago when I used to make friendship bracelets in 3rd grade.  They were always getting bent and torn.   But they might make plastic ones now, not just cardboard.

Chelsea:  I find that my threads get very kinked on card bobbins, and tangle.  With my dyspraxia, I fnd stitching challenging enough without having to pull out lots of knots too!  I didn't think the stitchbows were too expensive, maybe 5GBP for a box, and about 2GBP for a pack of 10 stitchbows?

As an aside, hello to the OCD peeps from another not neurotypical!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005 04:35:38 AM »

I use the box and bobbin system also and I know I bought some boxes at Lincraft a year ago in Oz. Its a great system as well for sorting out threads for a particular project...just pick them out of the main box and stick them in a small one with some scizzors...very easy to transport and is much much much cheaper than the gold concept system.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005 05:54:31 AM »

missbillie, I'll be part of your OCD support group.  I once found a terrific sale on DMC floss, went home, figured out which ones I didn't have, bought all of those and then wound them up on bobbins.   Roll Eyes

Hahahaha! I know. It's like "look at all the pretty colors!" (gently rocking back and forth)
Ding! Ding! Ding!  You scored a bullseye on that one, Toots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
medea
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005 10:16:05 AM »

oh.. i made a combination out of both products! The long bobbin and the cardboard short ones. So now i can have the economic cheap way of organizing with the advantages of the more expensive one.

I've made a couple and am testing them out, the hardest part was making the slit for the identifying tag. On the next ones i'll just write it down or tape it down, not worth the hassle for me.
I can put them on shoeboxes, lay them on their side, and they look pretty. The one downside is that if i place them on their sides, i can't see the thread color, but if I stand them up it's quite easy!

It's just a 5 inch long cardboard rectangle, as wide as bobbins generally are, and with a hole punch i made the top and bottom indentations and then just connected the edges to remove that section. I believe that the hooky edges keep my thread "safer", maybe because it looks like the bobbin has fangs, but you could just round all corners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
escapingscorpio
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005 03:59:59 PM »

I haven't made a decision about how to store my own thread/floss yet, but I came upon this website while searching for a cheap supplier of heavy-duty ziplock-type bags.  I thought this stuff was so cute! 

http://lsbags.com/cart/index.php/cPath/55?osCsid=d76d11f84388806c17cd7779dd6b5a28

I haven't ordered anything and I don't work for this company...just passing along the info Smiley  I will probably order one of the multi-packs, i just haven't decided which one yet.  I usually keep my projects in gallon-sized ziplocs, but my cat has a tendency to chew on the corners so I need something a little more heavy-duty.  The vinyl craft-ziplocs they sell at craft stores are way too expensive. 

Also, they have ziploc incense bags...these look perfect for floss storage.  OK, I am going on a ziploc buying spree.  Somebody help me PLEASE!  Lolol...I am way too excited about this.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005 04:21:36 PM by escapingscorpio » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2005 02:14:55 PM »

I haven't made a decision about how to store my own thread/floss yet, but I came upon this website while searching for a cheap supplier of heavy-duty ziplock-type bags.  I thought this stuff was so cute! 

http://lsbags.com/cart/index.php/cPath/55?osCsid=d76d11f84388806c17cd7779dd6b5a28

I haven't ordered anything and I don't work for this company...just passing along the info Smiley  I will probably order one of the multi-packs, i just haven't decided which one yet.  I usually keep my projects in gallon-sized ziplocs, but my cat has a tendency to chew on the corners so I need something a little more heavy-duty.  The vinyl craft-ziplocs they sell at craft stores are way too expensive. 

Also, they have ziploc incense bags...these look perfect for floss storage.  OK, I am going on a ziploc buying spree.  Somebody help me PLEASE!  Lolol...I am way too excited about this.
If Kitty likes to chew on your zip-locs, the heavy duty zip-locs probably won't be heavy enough to stop her or hold up under chewing.  Box-n-bobbin (with one of the cute little bobbin winders) would be my suggestion to you.

That said let me add those baggies are adorable! Now I'm trying to think of some use for 1" square baggies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Merging HDR Photos in a New Way
Roundtrip Editing with Adobe Photoshop
How to Sora of Kingdom Hearts
How to Create Photo Books with Lightroom 4
How to Draw a Piranha from the Movie Piranha 3DD
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...