A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Projects from Weekend Knitting by Melanie Falick  (Read 44973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amtista
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2005 07:04:35 PM »

I recently finished the Garter Stitch Cuff Gloves from Weekend Knitting. Well, finished besided weaving in the ends- I always put off that finishing work at the end.
I'd have to say I'm not crazy about the way these came out... there are some holes at the base of the fingers but I'm pretty sure I can tighten those up when I weave in the ends. Mostly I'm not real happy with the pattern itself. I disagreed with the finger lengths and ended up ripping out a couple of the fingers on the first glove and re-doing them. I also think there's just too much "fabric" to the palm/back of the hand areas, maybe I just like my gloves to be a little more snug. And in the photo in the book the garter stitch cuff looks longer than what the pattern calls for, and I liked the look of the longer cuff better.
I feel like I'm being really negative about these gloves, but I guess they're not all bad. I would have to say that they look better on than when you just see a picture of them laying flat. Plus I'm pretty proud of myself for knitting them because I'd have to say this is my most difficult project I've done so far.
Here are some photos of the finished product...

Comments/Suggestions are welcome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2005 05:19:38 AM »

Amtista, I think you did a really good job with your gloves; They look really good on. What yarn did you use--it looks soft.
Thanks for the info concerning the pattern. This will be extremely useful. I see what you mean about the cuff and the back of the hand, that they're designed to be a bit "baggy". I wonder at what point you would alter the pattern to fix this.
Did you have to make the fingers longer or shorter? Anyway, you should be proud because by the looks of the pattern, its a bit of a tricky one Smiley Thanks again for the crits about the pattern.
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ax174
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2005 06:31:28 AM »

I thought the lace-edged pillow cases were out of my reach until I saw the fabulous one posted on this thread!  Here's my version - hot off the (sewing) needle! - also posted at this thread with a bunch of miscellaneous FOs:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24197.0

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 10:23:50 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amtista
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2005 08:59:33 AM »

Tere-
Thank you for the kind words. Smiley I used Cleckheaton Country 8 Ply, it's 100% wool. And I had to shorten the index and middle fingers, but I think the ring and pinky fingers were okay.

amtista
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessJazz
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2005 10:59:33 AM »

I bought this book a few weeks ago and I love it!  I made the Lopi Lace Scarf right away (except that I used Patons Divine yarn instead in Frosted Green).  I like it a lot except that it curls somewhat.  Here's a pic:

I made a pair of the Super Mittens for a friend (also using Divine yarn).  They are amazingly quick and comfortable.  I'll definitely be making more.  Here's a picture of them:

Next up:  I've bought yarn to make the lace pillow cases, and I want to make the fluffy lace camisole but in a thicker yarn and I'll add sleeves to make it a sweater.  That won't be for a while though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2005 05:02:01 PM »

I bought this book a few weeks ago (after months of picking it at the store and sighing over the patterns) and really want to do the cami and cowl pattern.  I've found that nakedsheep has the Douceur et Soie.

The instructions don't tell you to cast on the cotton and mohair yarns together (or maybe they do and I totally blew by that!)... but I assume you have to, right? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bethann
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2005 07:03:49 PM »

Here are the garter stitch cuff mittens I made using Paton's merino wool:

If my picture isn't showing up (I can't see it anymore for some reason), click on my website- the pic is on my yahoo photo album.

I really love them, and I wear them every day. I can see why amtista is a bit disappointed with them in the glove version. They look snug fitting in the book, but they're pretty big- which I like for mittens, but not for gloves. I also had a bit of trouble with holes around the thumbs, but I just pulled the stitches together from the inside, and now they're perfect. The only other changes I made to the pattern are a few extra rounds in the cuff, and ending them sooner so they wouldn't be so pointy (I used kitchener stitch to finish the tops- I don't know if that's what the pattern calls for).   

I forgot to add- I suppose to make them a bit less baggy, you could try leaving out the increases after finishing the cuff.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005 06:17:52 PM by Bethann » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ax174
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2005 06:19:46 PM »

For my second project from this wonderful book, I made the super mittens.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 10:24:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2005 04:34:01 AM »

I love the colour (its a muted green on my monitor). What yarn did you use. They look so squishy an snuggly!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jujubecraftin
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2005 05:11:42 AM »

I absolutely love this book, even if some of the patterns require reading and re-reading a couple times to get exactly what they mean.  I wish i had a digital camera, oh well, cause i've made quite a few of the projects.  Ok, so right now I'm finishing up baby's pure and simple pullover, though unfortunately i couldn't find any hemp, and totally forgot to knit the roll around the bottom, although the sleeves will have the rolls.  I also just started working on the union square shawl/poncho.  I'm kind of wishing i used a more interesting colored yarn, but i was afraid it would overpower the pattern, so i stuck with plain grey.  I made the flower washcloths for my mom's birthday, a set of four of the egg cozy sweaters for my in-laws for last Christmas, the legwarmers for me, the fingerless mitts for my grandpa, a scarf for my grandma using the lace stitch for the cowl, the curley toed elf slippers for a baby shower, and the berkshire pullover, although my boyfriend doesn't like the way the shoulders look.  And yes, i have substituted the yarns for every one of these projects! clearly i'm obsessed with this book, but all the patterns are so beautiful, i can't help it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe with Dulce De Leche
Vegan Man: The Ultimate Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Donut Shop Offers Bizarre Flavors
Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe
How to Make Almond-Orange Shortbread Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...