A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rock N Roll Themed 18th birthday  (Read 2956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChemicalsMyDear

i will windmill kick you in the face.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2005 09:32:24 AM »

My 18th birthday is coming up in a little less than a month, and last night my mother suggested a music theme [since I'm soooo into rock bands]. We contemplated the possibilities, and all I've come up with are:

Watching music themed movies, taking "promo" pictures, actually creating music, writing songs, making mixtapes/cds [I was thinking about this as a party favor]

I've completely run out of ideas beyond those, and am not sure how many music themed movies are out there [that are worth watching]. So far all I can think of are School of Rock and Empire Records [which I have no seen].

Please provide me with any ideas you come up with for this theme, ahhh! I'll have to send out invitations soon if I want to have it before some of my friends go off to college.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing beats going to Denny's at 10 pm with Becoming The Archetype and sharing a milkshake with Seth. Nope, nothing.
theblackplague
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005 12:03:44 PM »

Dunno if you and your friends would be into this, but "Mr. Holland's Opus" is a pretty good movie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuxOberst

'...if you BRING HOME THE BACON'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005 06:01:46 PM »

Empire Records = Incredible pick. Definately watch that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'I don't feel I have to explain my art to you...'
-A.J.
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005 06:27:47 PM »

Honestly, if you love Pink Floyd, watch the wall.  Cheesy  Or, maybe you can watch Detroit Rock City (which is about a bunch of kids who try to go to a Kiss concert (it is set in the late 70s/ early 80s)).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
modgirl
Vinyl, Lipstick, & DIY

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005 06:40:49 PM »

If you're into 80s, then there's Prince's "Purple Rain" and Madonna's "Desperately Seeking Susan."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew Be It

looking for a Readymade issue
halfjapanezegrl
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005 09:01:21 PM »

Empire Records is truly great... it may seem a little cheesy to a first time viewer, it holds a lot of nostalgic value to me.  Almost Famous is a must.  Hard Day's Night is a classic.  High Fidelity will appeal to the rock nerds in all your friends.  Oh, music related movies are the best! 
For obscure rockumentaries, check out "I am trying to break your heart" if you are a Wilco fan or the fairly new "Dig" about the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre.  Lots of bands have music video/behind the scenes vids out now... check amazon or your fav band's webpage. 
As for ideas for the party, my roommates and I hold an annual rockstar party at my place (known locally as the Rockstar Complex)... We just try and be as over the top rock and roll as can be... sure, it plays into the bad stereotypes or rockstars, roadies, and groupies, but for one night a year, it's worth it (the other 364 evenings, I'll be the true music appreciator that I am).  Here are some of the all ages ideas we've used:
- Ring Pops as party favors
- I have a button maker, so I've made Rock Star Party Buttons
- Pixie Stix (as fake designer drugs)
- Big bags of M&Ms that we've sorted and put in clear containers all around the place (cuz rockstars often will demand to only eat one color of M&M)
- Bottles of Sparkling Cider with champagne labels printed out and taped over them... or just sparkling cider
- We got disposeable black and white cameras from Target for less than four bux each (they were supposed to be for weddings) and encouraged guests to take pix.
- Boas, fake tattoos, and those cheap star shaped sunglasses from dollar stores
- A hand stamp at the door
- Home made backstage passes for guests of honor that I had laminated at Kinkos
- A room turned into a VIP room with fake money strewn all over the bed
- A red carpet
- We even found a Guitar shaped Pinata that we filled with Candy, Mardi Gras beads, guitar picks, plastic shot glasses, and condoms... so we managed to have a guitar smashing of sorts. 
We encouraged our guests to come dressed up as their favorite rock stars, their least favorite rock stars, or just as generic interpretations of the term... and we've had some great results.  Hope that helps... I'll try and think up some more ideas... I love nothing more than planning a rock star party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY of all kinds.

My blog: http://www.atxdiy.com
slackferno
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005 10:23:15 PM »

Rock Movie Classics-

Rock & Roll High School (the Ramones)
     Sid & Nancy
     This is Spinal Tap
     Some Kind of Monster (very Tap-like docu about Metallica)
     Hairspray
     Great Balls o' Fire
     Almost Famous
     The Rutles (All You Need is Cash)
     Gimme Shelter

You could give door prizes(vintage Telecaster air guitar!) for best use of spandex or highest hair, best air guitar solo.  Another mixer/game---match the dead rocker to cause of death.   Give half the guests name tags with rock star names on them (Kurt Cobain, Karen Carpenter, Stevie Ray Vaughn) and half the guests name tags with cause of death (Suicide, Anorexia, Plane Crash), and let them match themselves up.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005 10:25:50 PM by slackferno » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jess6
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005 02:23:20 PM »

Don't forget about the actual movie Rock Star. Oh, and That Thing You Do is a really good one.. even though they aren't all that rock-ish.. Still a great movie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckstraordinary
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006 08:26:39 AM »

Well, I did one of these to see if I could get all of my friends in the same room. It was a blast. Anyway, we had a ton of folks show up. I did the invitations backstage pass style with laminate and lanyards (God bless Nobbies & Kinkos). We had a GIANT barrel of cheese puffs that was left by the end of the night with just a fourth of what had originally been in it. (Gross.) We did make your own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, little debbie snack cakes, the seperated m&ms (which we still have blue and orange left), marachino cherries, and bottled water with a BYOB on the invitation.

We had a blast doing an impromptu music video to Bohemian Rhapsody and played a home-made version of Encore. A multitude of us swing dance, so we had a little dancing to some a little rock'n'roll (think Foo Fighters "See You", anything early Beatles, plenty of Otis Redding, or just about anything on Bleu's "Redhead" album). I had a goofy karaoke machine instead of movies...actually though, I did end up showing an old home movie. I know, rockstar. The drunken karaoke was amazing, right until my sister got sloppy and popped in "Wind Beneath My Wings." Bah.

My sister and I hosted as Wayne and Garth (she Garth and I Wayne) and the guest list included but didn't hold exclusive to: The White Stripes, Prince, Frank Sanatra, Madonna, Tori Amos, a lone Village Person, Britney & Kevin, Alanis, Johnny Cash, Bjork, and Tom Jones (who won best costume).

The pd showed up - I knew no one was likely to get arrested - we had Tom Jones playing on the radio at the time...I mean, being arrested for playing "What's New Pussycat?" too loud? Pah! & we had a couple of folks try to walk in. The looks on their faces were HIGH-larious.

If you want to see a couple pictures, I have them up on my blog: http://www.beckstraordinary.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the worst type of girl.
beckstraordinary
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006 01:33:42 PM »

Let's see if this works...and if it does, it's just a taste. And sadly, I didn't have any pictures of the spread, which was actually pretty hilarious.

Wayne & Garth

Prince & Bjork swing dancing

The White Stripes

Jamie Lynn, Britney, and Kevin (with a drunk Madonna in the back)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the worst type of girl.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring Trend Report: Camo Whammo
Palmer//Harding Spring 2014 Menswear
Umit Benan Spring 2014 Menswear
How New York Fashion Week Showgoers Are Wearing Fall’s Hottest Looks
Met Gala - Punk Stories: Cara Delevingne Rocks the Look
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...