well, i suppose "art" is in the eye of the beholder. there once was a guy who was pissing in a bottle and putting crucifixes in it and he called that art too. I'm sticking to my first conclusion. (to me) this is not art, it has no artistic value, and I for one won't be spending my money on a pattern.
and I don't need a crocheted crotch to make me feel more like a liberated woman (vagina monologues? puleez *rolling my eyes*) hear me roar and all that jazz. Isnt this SUPPOSED to be a family friendly site? only a mind thats tripping through the gutter can come up with these kinda ideas.
1. I don't think pissing in a bottle and putting crucifixes in it is art either. This isn't that.
2. Perhaps art is in the eye of the beholder. You are the only person in this thread so far to think that it isn't art.
3. This isn't to make you feel like a more liberated woman. It's not about you at all. I must admit that I didn't think of you once when designing this. This is intended to be used as an educational tool, primarily, and as a celebration of femininity.
4. As noted, the Vagina Monologues are about stopping violence against women, a worthy cause.
5. Half of the human race possesses a vagina, and the other half wish they did (give or take 10%). This isn't porn, this isn't erotica, this isn't a sex toy (frankly, it would suck as one), it's just a representation of reality.
6. Without vaginas, there would be no families. Maybe we should honour it for once instead of pretending that it's dirty, obscene, ugly, bad, sinful, gross, stinky, etc.
7. Stop trolling. If you don't like it, stop checking the thread. You already expressed your displeasure two pages back, there's no need to keep stopping by.
8. Hey, notice how I just disagreed with you without insulting you? You should try that sometime! (And yes, implying that my mind is dragged in the gutter is an insult.)
My criticism was on topic, was related to the craft, and I was not personally attacking the crafter (you have to expect some back lash, though, when you're designing these types of items). I appologise to the designer if it came off that way. My frustration with this site actually is aimed at those "in power" that allow this kind of stuff in a "supposed" family friendly forum. Those who post their projects (and opinons sometimes) only do what the moderators allow them to do. so the "guilt" rest with you guys. here's an idea! why not have a seperate section for x-rated projects? so i dont have to worry about my 8 year old son (who crochets) coming to your site and having his eyes burned out by these projects (vaginas, vagina purses, dildo cozies etc etc). His question to me when he stumbled on this project was "gross mom! why would they want to make one of those?" otherwise, at no loss to you guys, i'll just stop coming in, I've already forbid my son from coming back. there are other sites that I don't have to worry about my kid visiting and getting his sex education too early, and from people I don't know well enough to trust teaching him about it. Michealangelo's "David" is art. This is smut.
The 'backlash' I've received from everyone except you in this thread has been positive. If you are concerned with your 8 year old son seeing things you don't want him to see, you should be with him when he's on the Internet and maybe suggest he doesn't click on "female anatomy". There have been plenty of vagina-related crafts on craftster -- I believe there was a whole Swap with a vagina theme.
The only education your kid would get from this thread is "look, these are the parts, these are the names." It is not discussing sexual technique or depicting porn. If he thought it was gross, then he already knew what vaginas look like and someone taught him to think that they're bad.
lovely crochetwork by the way heatherann, i love the color choice for your most recent piece, it's really beautiful.
Thanks! I'm going to play around with some other colours this week, should have some more to show soon!