A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yo drop it scarf help.  (Read 2511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nuclearxheart
« on: July 17, 2005 04:28:26 PM »

i am totally hopeless sometimes when it comes to knitting. i am just getting the hang of it. i can knit and purl like its nobody's business, but anytime i throw anything in there that's a little more complicated, i just choke.

i believe that i am understanding how to do a yarn-over properly, but i can't seem to make it work right. i end up with less and less stitches each time drop the yarn overs. eventually, i have nothing left. obviously, i am dropping something that i shouldn't be, but i'm just not getting it. please please please help! i hate to waste all the yarn i bought specifically for this scarf.  besides, i hate thinking that i can't do something. i am determined to make this thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005 04:53:36 PM »

Have you watched the videos on knitting help yet?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php

The yarn over is at the bottom right corner.

I practiced and practiced before I made the branching out scarf from knitty.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html

I was never really sure of it til I saw the video. Knitting help has videos on everything & it has def. made me a better knitter.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
nuclearxheart
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005 05:03:57 PM »

argh. i guess i am going to make another attempt. i have seen the video and tried to repeat it. something is just not right. thanks though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
socomfyhere
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005 08:56:45 PM »

Okay, so here's how I explained it to another person in an(almost identical)other thread:

Okay, I'll try to explain this nice and clearly.  I don't have my SNBN book right here with me, so here's what I am (almost) positive it means:

-if the pattern says k1 *yo, k1 (repeat from * to end) you will:
knit one stitch like normal (put the needle in front to back, wrap the yarn back to front, pull the needle under the original loop, drop the old stitch off the needle.)  then wrap the yarn back to front once more (if it says yo twice, just wrap the yarn twice).

-then on the drop row:  k1 *drop yo, k1 (repeat from * to end):
what you are doing is knitting the knit stitches and dropping the yos.  if the original thing said yo twice, that means drop both yos. 

I hope this cleared things up for you a little.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
wrybrarian
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005 09:20:15 AM »

I was the other person who was clueless about the YO, yo. Get your needles, do a row, and sit in front of that video on knittinghelp.com, then do a yarn over with her. Then keep doing it until ya get it. You can do it!

I have overcome my yarn over challenge to achieve beautiful on-purpose holes in my work, and I know you can too!

xox
rachel (official yarn over cheerleader)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bravenewcara
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005 12:25:17 PM »

hey, this is my version of the scarf i made for a cousin.  i used this pattern, with a strand of wool and a strand of a rag yarn held together.  i also crocheted a flower and pinned it on for her.  this is the scarf:

this is a close up of the stitch pattern, which is kinda hard to see, due to the density of the yarns:

and this is the purdy flower:

-cara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm blue-ue-ue-ue-ue, doobedoobedoobedoo.
spiderdust
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005 11:22:44 AM »

That yarn is really yummy looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looly
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005 06:20:16 AM »

Hope you got your drop-stitch working in the end nuclearxheart - I decided to make a few of these scarves as goodbye presents for the girls I was leaving when I changed jobs, and loved making them as they knitted up so quickly (apart from the one that I did 90 stitches wide but with single strands of kidsilk haze, it looked beautiful but took ages).  I'm a big fan of this pattern as well as the mock-cable scarf on the same page of the book. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchinbitch
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005 10:51:45 PM »

i don't have any pictures, but i made this scarf twice as presents for friends in a really pretty ribbon yarn.  the guy at my lys taught me how to do it really quick and suggested that instead of doing one yo like in the pattern, that i wrap it around like three times.  like the designer said, it really helps you see the beauty of the ribbon and mine really looked a lot like the one in the book.  i just had to be careful not to knit one of the yo's on accident. 

the way my lys guy told me to do it is: k1, then to do the yo bring the yarn you're holding to the front between the two needles (like you would to purl) and then wrap it back around to the back of the right needle (if you just want to do it once, you'll just kind of hold it back there with one of your right fingers while you knit the next stitch, but if you want it to look a little more like the photo in the book, you'll probably want to wrap it around two or three times and then hold it), while holding your yo's in place against the right needle you'll just knit another stitch and your yo's will be secure on the needle.  you'll continue the same thing throughout the pattern and by the end of the row your stitches will have doubled (or tripled, etc.)  the next row you'll knit the knit stitches (make sure you can tell them apart from the yo's) and just let the yo's unravel off your needle.  this will feel weird and wrong at first but just go with it until the end of the row and then you can straighten them out and it'll look right. 

i don't know if you still need it but maybe this will help you out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Editing a Layout in Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Tracing Image
Extreme Website Makeover - New Document and Preview in Browser Preferences
Extreme Website Makeover - Setting Up the Site Definition
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Dreamweaver® Site
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...