A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need a little support here!!!  (Read 599 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fake_moustache

One day, everything I own will be made of yarn.

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2005 02:08:42 AM »

When I look at all the fabulous fabric remnants I've pulled out of the remnants bin at the Wal-Mart craft section (aren't remnants bins like glorious wonderlands of magic?!), I notice that I have so many pretty patterns and such, but they're all very very weak, thin cotton or polyester. The looks would be fabulous for a bag, but how can I make them stronger?

I've tried just using interfacing in the past. It's worked somewhat, in some cases, but it definitely won't hold up for me, since I carry a giant sketchbook around with me all the time.

I think what I have in mind is to put a very firm supportive stuff between the exterior and the lining, or make a kind of double exterior and put it in the middle... if that makes sense.

What comes to mind is like a thin, yet strong, plastic. Something you could bend, but not tear... I searched all around the craft section for ideas. Template plastic came to mind. I also thought of cutting up a supercheap, thin binder plastic? And I also thought of a kind of cardboard.

I think you get the ideal. Something that would give it a skeleton, make it strong. Has anyone had experience with this, maybe know of what materials would be best, and maybe how to apply them and handle them?

Thanks in advance! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." -Pearl S. Buck
tinathellama
Oh man!

I am the Depleted Uranium of Feminity!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005 02:17:53 AM »

Hi!

The first thing I thought of was craft mesh. It's plastic, comes in a bazillion colors (which wont matter... but is still awesome!), and is pretty strong/stiff, while still being bendable. You can get it at Michaels, and it's used for a cross-stitch-esque sort of activity. You could make the outside of your purse, make lining, and add the mesh sandwhiched between layers of batting or interfacing.

That's all I've got.

Hope you figure it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\m/
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005 11:47:02 AM »

I use two different things:

Plastic Canvas (I think that's what "tinathellama" was suggesting above; just don't throw the item in the dryer as the plastic will melt)

Very thick interfacing that you sew in (I purchased a bunch from Walmart and it's almost as thick as plastic but is flexible enough for a bag)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConcreteJungler
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005 10:04:13 PM »

Actually, I have had success with using plain old felt.  Well, the hardcore wool felt, not that cheap-ass craft kind.  You can see the difference.  The wool felt is much more dense and is sold from the bolt.  I made a "jordy" bag out of this (exterior and interior) and I used it for about fifteen pounds of textbooks with no worries.  And my piddly sewing machine had no problem sewing it, either.  You could use the wool felt as your "middle" layer or even as your lining.  There are also some heavy duty interfacings like Pelltex and Pellon Craft Fuse that would hold up.  I have used both and I carry a LOT of junk around.  Pointy, heavy junk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muchachaK
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005 02:27:23 AM »

Yeah needlepoint plastic canvas is a good hardcore option I've actually used in a bag and yeah it's sturdy alright!...there is also a product called Timtex you may wish to try, I have a crafter friend at work who RAVES about it...I know you can get small packages of it at JoAnn's and you can also order it in assload amounts online...I have not tried it but my friend just raves about how I should try it...it's supposed to be good for things like bagmaking and fabric bowls...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
purple_hippo
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005 12:26:39 AM »

just a thought from a non-bag-maker, but couldnt you buy a cheapo A4 ring binder, remove the rings and make a bag around it, like the bookbags, but covering the faces of it (did that make any sense?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
fake_moustache

One day, everything I own will be made of yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005 12:36:35 AM »

Hmm... possibly. I think the only problem there would be getting the specific dimensions I wanted, but that is a very good idea, regardless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." -Pearl S. Buck
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Super Bowl Recipes: 4th Quarter Sweets
How to Make Easter Egg Cakes
Nutella Cheesecake Brownie Recipe
How to Make Biscotti Bites
How to Make Healthier Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Sticky Buns
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...