A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tattoo translation??  (Read 3384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

supastarrr110

GHETTO FABULOUS MEETS SEWiiNG!!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2005 10:43:35 AM »

hey all im wondering if anyone knows where i can get translations (English -> Hebrew) on the net for free. I'm going to get a tattoo that says 'Judah' in Hebrew on the back of my neck. Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not gonna spit on you because i have more class than that. I am, however, going to b!tch slap you!"-New York, FLAVOR OF LOVE
FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005 10:54:57 AM »

i was wondering about accurate tattoo translations as well. i want to get "lucky" in chinese character/s on my big toe. i just want to make sure i don't get a symbol on there that means something totally different... Smiley
maybe someone else will have the answer to this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessaska
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005 11:39:48 AM »

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

doesnt help with the hebrew though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supastarrr110

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005 01:16:01 PM »

thanks anyways
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not gonna spit on you because i have more class than that. I am, however, going to b!tch slap you!"-New York, FLAVOR OF LOVE
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005 02:16:42 PM »

IMHO, I wouldn't trust Babelfish for any translation, much less one that's going to end up on my skin. It's notoriously bad at translating accurately (like every other machine translation so far). Can't handle synonyms and similes, stuff like that. Seems minor, but results in hilariously bad translations.  Cheesy

Best bet is to get people who speak Hebrew to write it out for you - and do check it with more than one person.  I speak Japanese, and I'm always seeing pseudo-Japanese tattoos on people, wondering what they *think* it says.  Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
supastarrr110

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005 03:20:19 PM »

IMHO, I wouldn't trust Babelfish for any translation, much less one that's going to end up on my skin. It's notoriously bad at translating accurately (like every other machine translation so far). Can't handle synonyms and similes, stuff like that. Seems minor, but results in hilariously bad translations.  Cheesy

Best bet is to get people who speak Hebrew to write it out for you - and do check it with more than one person.  I speak Japanese, and I'm always seeing pseudo-Japanese tattoos on people, wondering what they *think* it says.  Undecided

lol thanks  Cheesy i dunno anyone that speaks Hebrew
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005 04:44:59 PM »

The best thing is to find somebody that knows the language. My boyfriend has started laughing suddenly a few tmes out in public, because he's read a weirdly translated tattoo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
thommoose
Moose

mind if I borrow your light green Sharpie?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005 08:44:46 AM »

There's sooo many poorly done Japanese tattoos out there- some of them are truly hilarious with translation--- I've never had the heart to tell anyone...  Online sources for translation are okay--- but they really fall far from being accurate-  Like a 3-4 year old's grasp of their native language.

As far as finding Hebrew- stop in at your local temple and ask a rabbi there.   I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help and I bet anything it would be a really cool learning experience if you have been before.  Word of caution in case you didn't know:  From what I understand (former altar boy here), tattoo's are taboo in Judaica-- Something with the "body is a temple" kinda thing, I dunno exactly the whole dogma around it- but I wouldn't mention you would like the translation for tat--- maybe for an "art project?" I think that could count.  *I kinda worry about karma issues with telling even white lies in any place of worship.*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...those that matter do not judge and those that judge do not matter..."  -unknown

"Can I do this? Or do I look like some sort of gay superhero?" - Sterling
supastarrr110

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005 08:48:07 AM »

From what I understand (former altar boy here), tattoo's are taboo in Judaica-- Something with the "body is a temple" kinda thing, I dunno exactly the whole dogma around it- but I wouldn't mention you would like the translation for tat--- maybe for an "art project?" I think that could count.
thanks. i think it will pass as an "art project"  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_androidette
_luscious_

__beep. boop. beep__

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005 08:51:03 AM »

*I kinda worry about karma issues with telling even white lies in any place of worship.*

_Technically is not a lie, a tattoo is an artistic project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_!cheap robotic thrill with [AA] batteries required& coin operated heart || 'kissed the boys and made them cry with curves and kissers and pearly whites'
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Dodge Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Color Replacement Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Recolor with the Brush Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Red Eye Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Red Eye
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...