A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lucy, hippo, skeleton mariachi [tutorial+pictures]  (Read 4136 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elysse
« on: July 16, 2005 02:35:29 AM »

my first post. evar. so be gentle.

i've actually made these some time ago. just thought i'd share.
LUCY
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/hellaskeleton/lucy.jpg
she's made mostly from scraps and whatever else i could find. her hair and the lining of her hoodie is felt. her skin was white t-shirt i painted with acrylics [not recommended.] eyes, mouth, belly button, and 'hidden parts' drawn with a zig. pink marker for the cheeks. a sock for her knit hoodie. [something i'm proud of.] and some stretchy hot pink fabric [formerly a tube top] for some spankies. i meant to make her pants... but didn't really know how to go about it.

HIPPO

made of felt and hand stitched. eyes drawn in with a zig. he's my absolute favorite.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011 01:33:35 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zemolina
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005 04:04:15 AM »

They're both awesome, I love the hippo! But then I'm biased cause I love anything to do with hippos! Yay Hippos!
I love lucys face, it's so expressive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kymporter
One day sock monkeys will take over the world... make sure you're on their side!

I am indeed Vada's mom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005 07:43:48 AM »

Super cool!  Did you use a pattern for them, or did you design them on your own?  GREAT job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWI: Sewing While Intoxicated
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005 07:48:53 AM »

That hippo is sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
elysse
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005 07:14:51 PM »

i designed them myself.. the body of the hippo is alot like those japanese stuffies that everyones making. 

here's another one.

MARIACHI SKELETON

this was made for shane based off his character in this comic.

you can see the shrinky dink tag in this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mattbot
cut till your fingers bleed

life is like doing time for crimes i didnt commit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005 09:00:21 PM »

oooooo i want to make a hippo like yours please share!!!

hoopla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elysse
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005 12:27:28 AM »

this explanation is really tough... cause i have a really slapped together way of sewing so i dont measure anything... mostly just eyeballing and trimming. so all i can really do is give you the general idea.

rough pattern

i use a blanket stitch [i think] to put my pieces together, even though some sketches show a running stitch. a sewing machine is fine.. but a little tougher with the smaller pieces [atleast with my machine.] plus i like the hand sewn look.

you'll need.  needles.  thread.    felt.  hot glue gun. marker.  and whatever you want to stuff with. i used doll stuffing and rice.  i stole a couple of the silicate packets that come in pill bottles or new purses and shoes. the pouch with beadlike things in them and say "do not eat" all over it... it prevents the rice from puffing up.

-always cut your pieces atleast a cm larger than you want, for allowance and in case you need to trim a piece.

sew up the extremities.  stack 2 arm pieces.... sew up around the edges leaving the flat end open. turn inside out with a popsicle stick or other blunt object. do the same with other arm, ears, and tusks. stuff these now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/hellaskeleton/arms.jpg

for the nostrils just fold in half and sew on one edge.

next i'd go with the body. first by sewing the bottom to the sides, back, and chest. then sew the edge of the back to the edge of the side. the edge of the side to the chest. the chest to the other side. and the other side to the final edge of the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/hellaskeleton/x.jpg

you should end up with a cup shape with two holes in the bottom where the legs should be. first sew the a footpad into each of the smaller curve of the leg pieces.

sewing the legs on will take a lot of patience and a poke in the finger or two. i'd start by sewing the leg onto the side and chest pieces. then so off the bottom.

cut slits into the sides where you want your arms to be. you want these to me slightly smaller then the open end of your arm piece. now. since you're going to be turning the body inside out still you need to insert the arm into the slit with the CLOSED tip first. then sew edges together.

The head is where most of the estimating and frustration takes place. so make sure you have the time and patience for this. be sure to check that your pieces are right side out before sewing by turning inside out from time to time.

place a mark on the cheek pieces where you want to place your ears and tusks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/hellaskeleton/xx.jpg

from star to circle should be how long the forehead piece is. width depends on how thick you want it's head to be and how wide the top of the back is. you can taper it to make it more bulby on the snout.

sew together the edge of the forehead piece a cheek piece up to the point where you want your ear to be.

insert ear just like how you did the arms [closed end first] and with the lighter side towards the snout. treat ear like a third piece of felt and sew through edges all together [unlike the arm.] continue sewing edges until an inch from the edge. insert nostril piece and finish sewing. repeat with other cheek piece.

the snout/mouth piece should be about the length of circle to heart [refer to above image.]

connect forehead to flat end of "front'o'snout" piece. sew edges to cheek pieces and stop where your tusks are going to be. sew in tusks like arms. finish piece.

turn head and body inside out and shape if needed. cut out and draw eyes on white felt. stick onto the side of the head with a glue gun. you can just stitch them on, but i like how it looks without any stitching.

fill with rice and some stuffing.. but not a lot. just enough so it gets it's general shape.

now sew the head to the body. i use a basting stitch for this. make sure that your stitches are short or else you'll get a ripple sort of effect. don't close. leave a big enough hole to finish stuffing. use a popsicle stick or whatever you have to jab stuffing into place. finish sewing.

and you're done! easy as pie  Roll Eyes . i know it's confusing. ask questions.. i'll help the best way i can.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011 01:38:12 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MelancholyMiss
"impure as the driven yellow snow!" - Spike

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005 06:53:37 PM »

Wow Mr Hippo is so cute and I am in love with you Skeleton!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lila200098
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005 07:29:07 AM »

that hippo is so cute!  :othis is yet another reason why i want to start sewing with felt! was this felt 20 cents or really expensive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elysse
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005 11:53:44 PM »

yeh. i got the sheets of felt at michaels which is like .23 cents? which is why all of my stuffed animals are about 10 inches tops. i've got this great felt from a thrift store though thats like.. 5x4 feet.  i just need the right project to use it for... i'm torn between an octopus or an alligator.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Sexy Hair Waves with a Hair Straightener
How to Create Sexy Waves with a Ceramic Hair Flat Iron
How to Get Silky Smooth Straight Hair
How to Care for Your Flat Iron
How to prepare your hair for styling
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...