A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Virgin Mary/Guadalupe Swap  (Read 12187 times)
Tags for this thread: virgin_mary  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005 06:54:15 AM »

i haven't seen many postings  Huh  are there more pictures of stuff out there that haven't been uploaded?
and when is round deux?!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Punkys_Mom

"It's a suit made from motel room drapes?!?"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005 08:59:40 AM »

I received my package from edamame yesterday evening....!!!  Thanks edamame, it's the coolest!!  Grin  I got: a nifty embroidered and embellished pillow with the V of G on it...a cool lined zipper pouch with the image of the grilled cheese sandwich with Mary's image in it ( I laughed my butt off at this!!) plus, in the pouch edamame thoughtfully included at bit about the sandwich from the BBC webpage and some really cute red heart soaps (which my daughter figures she should have b/cause she helped me open the package!!)....and a neato plastic statue of Our Girl embellished with red glitter (I'm gonna use her in another shrine I'm making right now!!)  Thanks for all the goodies, gal...you're an awesome swapper!! If you want, by all means, go ahead and post pics...Iam not having ANY success with posting pics here yet.... Undecided
P.S. edamame....how did you make the decals for the pillow and the pouch?? You have my curiousity up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a little bit of hope......like a soap on a rope!!!
I'm sorry sir, there's no freestylin' in the ball pool!!
edamame
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2005 09:51:25 AM »

OK here's the stuff I sent Punky's_mom. Glad you got a laugh over the grilled cheese. Isn't that a great story?! The pillow and the pouch have phototransfers just run through my printer. The heart soap was what remained after the earlier soap disaster. I tried to embed those hearts in a square mold, with cloves stuck in 'em... supposed to be Sagrado Corazon, but <sigh> the cloves stained and bled and it was a giant mess. So there you have it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stopmoshun
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2005 09:54:09 AM »

that pillow is really pretty, it looks like water colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2005 10:20:13 AM »

I LOVE everyone's stuff. I have a question and I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread. What is it about the Virgin Mary that everyone loves? Its sort of weird to me because I was raised  Catholic (i no longer am). I still think she's gorgeous but feel weird about sporting her becuase she's a religious icon. I'm not in any way saying what you all are doing is wrong I'm just curious if you're Catholic/religious or if you just love her because she's beautiful. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I'm not trying to be judgemental I'm just a confused excatholic Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'performer....costume') maven.
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2005 10:48:40 AM »

i just love her b/c shes cool. i was raised catholic, but don't practice anymore, so its not like i love her b/c i'm religious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
edamame
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2005 11:35:31 AM »

I'm not at all religious, but Guadalupe reminds me of many trips to central and south america...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2005 12:03:17 PM »

i too was raised catholic and i dont practice anymore..down here theres maybe 3 catholic churches...the people around here dont like catholics that much..but i get a warm safe feeling from her being around..i think that if i found the right church i would go again..i used to go with my grandmother to this super old brick church that they were restoring..it was beautiful..so warm and inviting..but the ones around here are too contemporary for me..it seems weird...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2005 12:16:14 PM »

i don't know if i can explain without offending someone .... hopefully i don't.

i was raised catholic too, i'm not anymore. i love virgin mary/lady of guadalupe stuff for various reasons, because it's so kitschy (so much of it is super tacky!) and because a lot of it's beautiful, but the main reason is that i'm totally fascinated by the way catholicism is really a very pagan religion in so many ways with candles and incense and ceremony, and there's this obsession with "immaculate conception" and the various saints and mary and symbolism, yet everything can be carefully rationalized and explained as to why it's okay. like "we're not worshipping mary mother, so it's okay" and i find it really strange that there's such an industry in catholic stuff, that so much money is made on what to me is a very personal thing. i just find it all really interesting.

and i think i'm a little jealous too, though i grew up roman catholic and went through all the catechism and confirmation and all that, i totally missed out on a lot of the things that are normally asociated with catholicism, like saints, because we didn't talk about them in my church. i think that's totally a regional thing, because the churches here in vancouver tend to include them more.

i think i'm just fascinated with religion in general, and honestly catholicism is much prettier than most christian faiths!

ADDED: and i really agree with viciouskittie too. though i don't believe a lot of the things i was taught as a child, i still have really fond memories of the church i grew up in, and i really wonder how different my faith would be if i hadn't moved to bc, because the church we attended here was very contemporary in design, whereas in the prairies we had a beautiful old church, and i felt that the church here was really hyprocritical, it was more about coming to church to show off than to actually share faith and create community. i do still miss the community of church.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005 12:18:36 PM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2005 05:57:42 PM »

Cool, thanks for your imput gals. I really admire buddha and other eastern religious icons but until this swap I never thought about how beautiful she is. I don't have fond memories of being catholic and do not like the guilt that was put on me and still feel because of the teaching structure  but I shouldn't blame that on her, its the churches I went to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'performer....costume') maven.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thirty Seconds to Your Best Brows Ever
Allure’s 2013 Best of Beauty Breakthrough Winners
3 Biggest Mineral Makeup Mistakes
Skull Mask Makeup Tutorial-Part 2
Fall 2013 Nail Polish Picks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...