A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 307,992
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peekaboo Zipper Pillow w/ fabric insets ... photos & tutorial  (Read 53945 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Decaf
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2004 02:57:45 PM »

Hey-I LOVE this pillow, and I want to make one this summer for my dorm room next year.  I'm concerned about one thing though-when I sew the front zipper panel to the back fabric, does the machine just sew over the zipper easily?  It seems like it would break the needle or something, but maybe I'm just very inexeperienced at sewing...wait, I know I am  Smiley.  Thanks to anyone who can help me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garbage Collector

Are we there yet?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2004 03:25:43 PM »

Q. When I sew the front zipper panel to the back fabric, does the machine just sew over the zipper easily?

A.  You have to be careful when you do this.  Go slowly.  Also, the nylon zippers with the smaller teeth are better for this. ... I didn't break any needles, but it's possible to do so if you aren't careful.  Also, most of the time, you'll be sewing at the ends of the zippers and won't have to sew over the teeth.

small toothed nylon zippers = good (easy to cut and easy to sew over)

big toothed plastic zippers = not so good (hard to cut and hard to sew over, be careful ... if I did this again I would only use the small toothed nylon ones)

metal zippers bad ... don't use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joanieponytail

must make stuff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2004 06:41:18 PM »

Oh, great. I'm all set to dig out my old zippers (I remove anything remotely reusable off clothing that I can't use anymore and that isn't donate-able), and then you show the woven pillow.

I will never catch up with all the great ideas here. Life is good.

Also, I bet that button pillow would feel so wonderful on a hot night. So cool, literally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus loves me, this I know.
scandibird
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2004 01:52:54 AM »

All these colourful cushions make me happy!! Smiley I'd love to have a daybed like that! I was thinking... the tape you've used I think is what I'd call masking tape (for masking off areas when you paint walls etc.), and if it is, it will most probably go dry, hard, crispy and flaky after a while... Not a good thing.  Embarrassed I think I'd rather use some thin interfacing/fusible stuff for a long flake-free happy life for the gorgeous cushions! And I agree with.. can't remember who said it.. you should definetely get yourself a website or an outlet to sell these babies!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rhythm Bandit
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2004 10:16:53 AM »

You are the zipper Queen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garbage Collector

Are we there yet?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2004 11:03:46 AM »

I was thinking... the tape you've used I think is what I'd call masking tape (for masking off areas when you paint walls etc.), and if it is, it will most probably go dry, hard, crispy and flaky after a while... Not a good thing.  Embarrassed I think I'd rather use some thin interfacing/fusible stuff for a long flake-free happy life for the gorgeous cushions!

hmmm ...  this stuff isn't masking tape ... it's thicker, more fiberous, not slick, more papery, doesn't curl up like masking tape ... ??might be some sort of archival tape for mounting art in frames?? ... hopefully it will hold up better than masking tape ... but I totally agree that interfacing/fusible stuff or linen tape would be much better ... hehe !!I WAS BEING CHEAP!! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004 11:12:58 AM by Garbage Collector » THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2004 11:16:18 AM »

hmmm ...  this stuff isn't masking tape ... it's thicker, more fiberous, not slick, more papery, doesn't curl up like masking tape ... ??might be some sort of archival tape for mounting art in frames?? ... hopefully it will hold up better than masking tape ... but I totally agree that interfacing/fusible stuff or linen tape would be much better ... hehe !!I WAS BEING CHEAP!! Smiley

Phew! I'm glad! I was getting worried for them there for a moment!  Cheesy Oh, and it's not being CHEAP... it's being CRAFTY!!  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Garbage Collector

Are we there yet?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2004 11:22:18 AM »

You are the zipper Queen!

ooooooooooooo ... a zipper crown or tiara ... THAT's what I need now ... *wanders off muttering about zippers ...*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SaveTheDodos
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2004 03:57:27 PM »

I envy you and your awesome and creative ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beast: I want to do something for her... but what?
Cogsworth: Oh, there's the usual things: flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep...
craftyskagirl
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2004 05:21:01 PM »

That's really neat. That must have taken you a long time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to sell your crafts to me? Send me email!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...