A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1229
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How's Your etsy Shop Doing?  (Read 408088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pearlie
« Reply #1580 on: February 09, 2006 11:54:21 AM »

Speaking of taking pictures (it was awhile back, but still...), what do you all use for backgrounds? I'm so impressed with people's bright white backgrounds in their pictures-- it looks so professional and really shows off the products well. But the walls of my apartment are kind of stucco-ed, so they give off these weird shadows. Any photo-taking tips would be greatly appreciated!

well, for small items, i put it on the table with a piece of white paper underneath (i imagin this will work great with other colours too but I haven't tried)

then i use the close proximity setting on my camera under natural light (probably best done near a window during day light hours)

and then I crop out any parts of the photo that's not of the product or has lousy background. this method is great because you only have to clear out a little bit of room (enough to fit a piece of paper) in a messy room or something.

for Larger items, i use larger pieces of white paper, we get A2/A1 sized papers here in NZ which are poster sized, and put it behind the item to be photographed, if you don't have a large piece of white paper, use the back of a single sided poster  Wink

hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyE
« Reply #1581 on: February 09, 2006 12:01:09 PM »

girlygirl, I know how your feeling. Maybe they do this so we actually do some work and pay attention to our real lives... *sigh* back to work I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Store!!
www.mysweetloveable goods.etsy.com
Needlequeen
« Reply #1582 on: February 09, 2006 12:02:31 PM »

Yeah, me too! I usually go into the forums while I have lunch but it's totally wonky right now! Also wanted to buy something from Norththreads to help get her going. (She told me about Etsy and we joined about the same time but the poor girl hasn't made a sale yet!  Cry She's a busy mom with a new baby and not much time to promote her stuff.)
BTW, Nice to see everyone!  Wink Thanks Tvtrayart for recommending this site. I joined up just a couple of days ago and it's great to see so many familiar faces!
Well, back to the sewing...
See you around!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.needlequeen.ets y.ca Drop in for a visit!
Needlequeen
« Reply #1583 on: February 09, 2006 12:08:46 PM »

As for photography, I signed up for the critiques and people seem split on whether I should use plain white background or my usual scenery. Personally, I like small things like jewlery on a plain background, but larger items in a more realistic setting. Plain paper or fabric allows tiny details to show up better. Like Jennaappleton's; I think she has some of the most beautifully photographed jewlery. And I want it! I want it all!!!!  Grin ( but gotta make a few more sales of my own first  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.needlequeen.ets y.ca Drop in for a visit!
Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1584 on: February 09, 2006 12:48:07 PM »

Pay it forward=one seller did something nice for another, so the receiver decided they would continue to pass along the kindness to another or "pay it forward"...so now an extremely long thread has erupted:

http://www.etsy.com/forums_topic.php?thread_id=1455

Check it out it's pretty neat Smiley

Sure .... I find out about PIF and ETSY is slooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooow to load. I want to browse and contribute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Personalized Signature Platters & Souvenir Plates
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Serendipity-Crafts Photo Gallery
Etsy Store
Lilly_Queen
« Reply #1585 on: February 09, 2006 01:04:41 PM »

has anyone tried selling fabric before?

I'm cleaning out my stash and am listing a bunch of different things. I know that LillyQueens bead supplies sold pretty well... I'm just curious how often people search in the commercial supplies category.

I think I also got the sales I did because I advertised like crazy on here on the etsy board i think and on some LJ communities...so i got the word out when i did.
id say try posting it, it'll end up being cheaper than ebay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeisgood
« Reply #1586 on: February 09, 2006 01:08:48 PM »

LOL Serendipity, PIF is VERY fun.

I can't get into etsy at all right now.  I guess I have more time to decide on my next PIF item to post.. really, I am considering giving away the hats I have left. I have made and sold sooo many hats over the last few years and am completely burnt out on hats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilly_Queen
« Reply #1587 on: February 09, 2006 01:16:05 PM »

i just got home from work and wanted my etsy fix before i went off to have my teeth drilled, damn cavity. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarawearsskirts
« Reply #1588 on: February 09, 2006 01:22:28 PM »

on photos, i really like when it's a nice photograph - natural light, a well composed shot...  i like to think of my photos as little display cases in my "shop"... i can't say it's super effective and i'm selling like crazy, but they make me proud to look at... just a thought - if you look at your own shop and think "NICE!" it probably looks good...  and we should all be proud of our shops!

that said... okay, i know it's been a couple pages since we talked about pricing, but is my knitted wine-tote just plain silly to be priced where i have it priced? too high? too low?
( i love wine-totes, since i love BYO's when i go out to eat with my friends - i avoid buying wine from restaurants at every possible chance! i might have to start sewing some, since a lot of my friends have seen mine and want one, and sewing would be a way more efficient means of production... hmmm...)

thoughts? feedback?
http://www.girlscantell.etsy.com

ps. i can't wait til i get home tonight to post PIF item!  such fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilly_Queen
« Reply #1589 on: February 09, 2006 01:32:40 PM »

yah etsy works *does a dance*    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1229 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Eye Contact During Auditions Affects Performance
How Props Can Enhance Auditions
How Memorizing Lines Affects Your Audition
The Importance of Creating a Personal Acting Website
How to Social Network as an Actor
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...