A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,279
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas to save money at the holidays  (Read 1020 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stillatthetop
« on: August 30, 2014 04:18:13 PM »

I am in America, so Christmas is usually our holiday. But I know other craftsters who like to make homespun gifts for their families...gifts from the heart. I hope we can use this post to celebrate the reason for the season...LOVE.

I need to save money this year, and giving all my hard earned cash to the "cash cows" that promote crazy things are not for me. I would rather spend the dollars on items to make hand-made candles, soaps, pillows, and food goodies. Son is getting PJs. {along with a few toys}. Some of those materials will come out of my stash. (I save old candles and re-melt them  Wink)

This is not my photo...snagged somewhere off the internet, but it looks like it could be made with leftover {used and broken} sweaters, and be good to use as package toppings and tree ornaments. That way you can skip the bow...those just add to our never ending garbage dump at this time of year.

Embroidery floss to wrap the hands and ankles. Small foam ball for the head {you could add a face if you wished with fabric paint?} easy to trace and make your own pattern. Looks like it would be easy to stitch by hand, and the more handmade it looks, the better. Charming.

My gifts will be wrapped in brown paper bags. With garden twine on them. Oh, of course I will rubber stamp some fun designs  Grin

I also go to our local newspaper printing place, and for $2.00 I get an "off-roll" with lots of unprinted newsprint. It is great for making larger fabric patterns, or protecting the table when the kids do their crafts. Or at Birthday parties I bring out the markers, and they all get to draw on the 'tablecloth'  Grin

Another holiday idea for everyone is to put a white linen cloth on the table, and let all the guests sign it with  fine-line sharpie...then embroider it later for a keepsake. Great at weddings. Just ideas.

Now I would love to hear yours!

~T
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014 04:23:24 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014 10:00:04 AM »

I think I should be allowed to double post here  Grin

This is a neat snag off the internet {sorry, but the sources do not always accompany the ideas, if I could give credit I would, but these are out from the depths of my computer, and long since fell off the history}

M & M's puts out holiday colors in the red, green, white variety. Those are Twix cookie bars around the outside.
M & M Mars company will also sell you specific colors to match a wedding party or other prom event, etc. I am sure they have a website for that. Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness events?

We are celebrating all holidays here, so don't feel that this is just Christmas.

I will add some Halloween here soon, too. That is my favorite holiday. I make some "wicked" finger sandwiches and Witch finger cheese straws. I have to "dig" up the recipes  Grin

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014 10:40:25 AM »

Sweet!

(Those are not Twix, but KitKats. Says the diabetic... LOL)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendiek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014 12:08:25 PM »

Yes, BeaG is right, those are kitkat's! I like twix better though  Cheesy

Great ideas T!

I use the legs of old jeans of the boys to make a little "bag" for wine or so. You could print the label for it yourself. It could be a bottle with homemade lemonade or whatever too of course! Or a jar with homemade pickles, marmalade,...

A rock with a crocheted cover.
Felt Christmas ornaments.
Desk organizer made of paper boxes. Glue pretty paper or wall paper on it and you're good to go!
Sock monkeys are always fun to make and receive!
A throw pillow cover made of old pieces of jeans (yes, I love jeans  Cheesy )
A pair of legwarmers made of the arms of an old sweater.
If you have a wool sweater, felt it by washing it too hot and with soap and make a nice bag of it, a notebook cover or ...

I have so many ideas! Hope you like them!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scrappy Happy Swap! YAY! Partners!!
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014 02:50:02 PM »

Sorry, I stand corrected in the candy aisle. Thanks for setting that straight.

I love your ideas wendiek. And I am sure other members will take note of them as well.

I love jeans, too. And often stitch things from the old ones. Aprons, purses, etc.

An addition to your paper box desk organizer idea (the post office hates me)...but the priority boxes are FREE...until you ship them, but you can use them to your advantage, and they are a nice corrugated cardboard, and clean of anything on them. And come in a variety of sizes. To use for all types of things. I do not advocate cleaning the post office out of their stock, but if you just wish a few?  Grin

I once accidentally felted a favorite sweater. It did fit me, but after I washed it, ended up the size to fit a small dog  Cheesy But sweaters are great for crafting. Especially for us who do not knit or crochet so fast, or well, or not at all. And yard sales and thrift stores are cheap places to get those.

Keep the ideas coming. I am loving the input.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brian Smith on Use of Lighting in Photography
Brian Smith on His Photography Equipment
Selecting the Photographs for the Book Art and Soul
Brian Smith on Working with People
Inspiration for the Book Art and Soul
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...