A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom-sized sweater for me (DROPS 101-15)  (Read 2725 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 30, 2014 08:54:51 AM »

I finished knitting this sweater about two months ago, but the pictures I took back then weren't all that amazing (I was wearing a white top underneath, it was showing!) and after our holidays, I forgot to post it! I made my husband take new pictures today, so I can finally share this sweater. After about six months of on and off knitting (had to put it on hold because of wrist/elbow pain several times) I finally finished this sweater. It's the third garment I've ever knitted: my first sweater turned out too large, so I gifted it to a friend, and I knit a baby cardigan for my god daughter. (Nice thing with knitting for babies: usually they'll grown into the clothes, even if your gauge is off).

Since I really wanted to make sure that this time around, my sweater would fit me and not somebody else, I took great care with the swatching, measuring and conversions. And I had to do plenty of conversions! My measurements corresponded to XL hips, L waist, XXL-3XL bosom, S shoulders.  Lips sealed I also altered the pattern for knitting in the round, and I used this technique to knit set-in sleeves from the top down. I really don't like stitching things together!

I still feel like the sweater is a tad loose in the back, but it fits nicely Smiley I might knit it again, in cotton rather than acrylic. I was absolutely surprised by how warm the sweater is, despite it being a thin knit with fine yarn. It just feels so much warmer than machine knit, incredible!

Anyway, autumn is clearly fast approaching, so I'll be getting good use from it soon!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014 09:06:06 AM by Naantje » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Live Life Like You Want To!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014 09:09:21 AM »

One of the best things about knitting is the ability to custom fit!  It does fit you perfectly!  The color is lovely and I love the design...the waist detail is very nice to show off your curves!

Thanks for sharing with us...and can't wait to see your summer one!

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014 09:44:34 AM »

I love the color, and the neckline! Great job with calculations.

Perhaps consider a ribbon tie for the back? To cinch in the waistline? With a pretty bow there?
You could either attach the ribbon to the side seams, or further close to the center back panel. If you didn't want the ribbon all the way across. Maybe an easier closure to the bow with Velcro to cinch things. And a permanent bow that would wash well, and not get tangled. Just ideas. Grosgrain ribbon works great, and washes better than the satin ones. Just ideas.

Wonderful job. Glad you don't need to give this project away. I am sure it took a good deal of time to finish.

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014 09:51:05 AM »

This is lovely.  I like the design with the pretty neckline and the waist detail.  I couldn't agree more about sewing seams. Also my tension is such a variable affair I never get front and back alike so I have to knit in the round.  Thanks for the link for the set in sleeves. I'm sorry about your arm pains.  I hope it doesn't stop you knitting more lovely things.
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014 10:02:42 AM »

It looks great on you...such a flattering pattern & color. Wink Well done!

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014 11:43:04 AM »

It is lovely.

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014 02:10:08 PM »

It looks lovely on you.well done!

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014 03:24:24 AM »

Always great to see work of a dear friend popping up! Nice work, milady!

Also, <3 purple!!

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
I may not be perfect, but I'm so close it's almost eerie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014 08:23:03 AM »

What a beautiful sweater!
I love the color and the neckline and the waist... so I guess I love everything about it. I wish I had the patience to do something this involved.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014 10:40:44 AM »

Thanks you guys!!! Cheesy

@EerieNoodles: I knit because I don't have any patience. I'm impatient at the bus stop and on public transportation, I'm impatient in waiting rooms, I'm impatient during commercial breaks, ... So I take along my knitting, and then I know that I'm not really wasting any time: I'm knitting! Smiley My impatience is one of the reasons I change patterns so I can avoid sewing things together though.

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Olympics-Bound Swimmers Share Their Wildest Hair Tips
How to Get an Aviator Hairstyle
Hair How To: The Modern Quiff
A Hassle-Free Routine For Getting Rid of Split Ends
3 Summer Hairstyles To Beat The Heat
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...