A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corset Inspired Ballet Top *-Now with tutorial!-*  (Read 84908 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mactabilisdemens

Everyone needs to rent a kitten.

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2005 04:04:23 PM »

So I was originally planning on making this into a ballet dress, and by that I mean this top + tutu, but I haven't quite managed to go buy tulle. I decided that it should stay as is and just have a matching tutu, rather than a connected one. Which do you think would be better? It's made of of costume satin and the pink is actually a bit lighter in real life, and the best part- There's a built in shelf/tshirt bra!! woo!

And as you can see, it's being proudly displayed on my new duct tape/ paper mache dress form! Any comments and suggestion would be helpful, seeing as how it's my first time sewing non-strechy/tshirt material and it was really hard. Oh, how I feel a great appreciation for my trusty seam ripper...

Okay, and now for tute that probably isn't going to be very clear (sorry for not having real pictures, I only wanted one top!):

Figure 1: These are the main pieces for the body of the shirt. It's pretty simple, sew them together as shown by the dashed lines. Sorry if the text on the pic isn't readable, I'm going to explain anyway.
Figure 2: Make loops for the ribbon to be laced through by taking macthing fabric double width and length. Sew it width wise so the edges are on one side. Fold it lengthwise so that the sewn edges are doubled on one another. Sew the left edge as shown in the diagram. Make sure it is an actual loop, if not, something went wrong. With 4 on each side, sew them to the matching fabric on the back.
Figure 3: These are diamond darts. They seem complicated and I'm afriad of darts in general, but this was simple. just fold the fabric where you want the dart (over nipple in this case) and sew an elongated < shape on the inside of the fabric. It should look like half a diamond. Do this where the other dart should be placed (other nipple). On the outside of the fabric there should just be a line when it's being worn.This is kind of a guessing game. I did about 6 darts before I got the right porportion for my body shape. Just use a loose seam at first so you can take it out if it doesn't work for you.
Figure 4: This will become the lacing. I had to do in it three parts since my fabric wasn't very long. The first piece is the part that goes from the shirt and stops at the shoulder. Obviously have two of these. I like the shape larger at the shirt and smaller at the shoulder, it looks better then a simple rectangle. Then get as long of a piece of fabric as you can and finish the edges. Sew this to the top of the straps. The third piece is if your lacing is short. Make it taper out at the end and sew that on to the long lacing. This will make a very big bow.

Be sure to finish all seams (I don't have a surger so I just used a zigzag stich) and also make the darts especially strong. Jsut go over them two or three times if you aren't sure. I did double seams on my top so it looks nice with contrasting thread. And that's it! Any questions I can try to answer or make more clear.  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 12:19:54 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumnelayne

Such is the way of the Craft Ninja.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005 04:07:54 PM »

That is gorgeous, I love the back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005 04:40:16 PM »

Wow, cool. Way to go. I had to do a double take to see if the second pic was of the same peice. I think a second peice instead of a one peice would look better. I actually have a harder time sewin t shirt material!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005 05:03:22 PM »

I say 2 seperate pieces that way you can wear the shirt with jeans if you want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
Fadetodeath

My Chemical Romance Kicks Ass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005 07:41:44 PM »

So cute  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing to say
frozen_peas
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005 05:31:44 AM »

very cute  Cheesy I too had to recheck if the back matched the front  Tongue. I would leave the pieces seperate, but then I'm not one for dresses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MMMmmm... summer.
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005 06:35:19 AM »

Wow.  That came out really well.  What did we ever do without seam rippers?  Junk a lot of projects, probably.

I second (or third or fourth or whatever the number is up to) the separate skirt idea.  That top would look cute with jeans or a denim skirt and it's a lot more versatile by itself.  Plus, I'm not a big fan of tulle, but that's just me Wink

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miel
.*.Miel.*.

Duck Chick Me-L

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005 09:41:16 AM »

omg that is sooo cute, i use to do ballet, i have ot make one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything Always happens for a reason.....
krazykt1286
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005 10:06:09 AM »

that is ADORABLE!  i SO want u to make my next dance costume!  too bad my solos usually wouldnt fit for wearing a tutu...even though that's what i'd prefer Tongue i've found i place better doing something more exciting than ballet/pointe Sad  I LOVE THE TOP THO!!! i'd do a separate bottom if i were u...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peanutbutterkp37
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005 10:16:39 AM »

That's so pretty! I'm jealous.

You should make the tutu seperate. I also agree with zitrone, it would look very cute with jeans or denim skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
I'm writing a vegan cookie blog.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Channels and Masking
How to Select the Content of the Layer in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Create a Layer Group in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Select and Link Multiple Layers in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Change the Value of Opacity in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...