A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 303,108
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Working On A Toothless The Dragon Plush - Need Help Bad!  (Read 816 times)
Tags for this thread: dragon , help  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 25, 2014 06:39:53 PM »

Hello all, I am a beginner sewer, and as you can see from my username, I absolutely ADORE the Night Fury Toothless from How To Train Your Dragon. So, after studying multiple patterns, I have decided to make my very own Toothless plush! This isn't the first one I have made, but this will be the first one I make while asking for help online and showing others my progress. So, without further ado, let me show you what I have so far, and what problem(s) I have now, and may have later.
Ok, so so far, I have some of the body made, I have the legs and leg spikes sewn, but not the feet, and the belly sewn. (I have pictures to show, but it won't let my upload any yet) (The main body pieces are made out of Ultra Cuddle Plush, thick, but actually easy to work with! And it's so soft too!)
So my next step is to make the claws. But this is where I am stuck. And have been stuck for several weeks! I just cant make the claws! I tried following the tutorial, and I have tried asking the creator of the tutorial questions, but they did not reply. So, I want to show you my progress and hope that you guys can help me out!
The main problem I have with the claws is that there is always an annoying bump where the folded curve is sewn at. (See the link - http://nooby-banana.deviantart.com/art/Toothless-Tutorial-Part-3-166015874 - the claw tutorial is on it) See what I mean? Where you sew the curve, there is ALWAYS a bump at the top! It makes the claw look really dumb. Any idea how to fix this? (I have pictures of it as well)
Another problem I have with the claws is that it is made with a leather, and it is very hard to work with. So when I go to sew the top piece onto the bottom piece, it is very hard to do so, the top slides around and sometimes goes crooked, and I can't pin it because of how small the claws are. Any idea on what to do?

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014 06:45:01 PM »

I could always try making the claws out of fimo clay..but then how would I attach it to the fabric so it won't come off?
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014 01:45:44 PM »

I've made a couple of Toothless' from this pattern.  I considerably enlarged the claw the pattern.  You could also try using satin, or sateen for the claws.  Or even pleather.  That might be easier for you to work with.  To avoid the "bump" when sewing the top of the claw, make sure you sew it curved, not straight.  I hope that makes sense.  If you sculpt claws, poke a hole in the fabric, where the claws are going to be.  Make the hole just big enough for the claws.  Squeeze some E6000 glue into the hole, then slide the claw into the hole.  Using a Q-tip, wipe away the glue that squeezes out of the hole.  I hope that helps.  Feel free to PM me, or post here, if you have any more ?'s, or if something I said doesn't make sense. 

ChellyWood.com: Doll Patterns and Tutorials

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014 08:23:00 PM »

I wish you could post pictures of the bump you're talking about. That would make it easier to help you troubleshoot the problem.

I've made Barbie clothes out of leather, and it's a difficult medium for a seamstress. There are a couple of things you can do to help though: 1.) use some sort of punch tool to pre-punch the holes before sewing and 2.) use waxed thread and a special needle that's designed for sewing leather. This helps you pull the thread through the holes a little better.

I hope you post pictures when you're all done, so we can see how the final product turned out!

ChellyWood.com: Doll Patterns and Tutorials
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Your Little Boy Like A Celebrity Kid for Less
Angelina Jolie and Stella McCartney Design Kids Line
Bonnie Young Kids Fall14
Kardashian Kids to Launch at Babies R Us
Hottest Kid Trends of the Season
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Precious Metal Clay
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...