A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED! - HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2014~  (Read 45756 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2014 05:14:31 PM »

~Harry Potter Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2014~

~*BEGAN September 1, 2014*~
~*ENDED November 30, 2014*~

The Fall Semester lasted 91 days.
30 Students were enrolled at Hogwarts.
295 Projects were Posted for House Points!!

That is an amazing average of around 3.25 projects a day and 9 projects per student!

Welcome to Hogwarts!
The Harry Potter Craftalong (HPC) is not your typical craftalong; we are gathered here to celebrate our love of crafting and the Wonderful World of Harry Potter.  In the HPC you will be completing classes and challenges with your skills in crafty magic.  These classes and challenges all have HP centered themes, but your crafts do not have to be Harry Potter."  Your mission, as a student at Hogwarts, is to complete at least one class or challenge during this semester.  You may join any time during the semester.  I hope you join us; the HPC is a great way to stretch your crafty muscles, meet HP crafters, and have fun!

~*HPC PROJECTS*~
---The HPC is here to help us each finish projects and to explore new challenges as we better our crafting skills.  Prompts and guidelines are there to help stimulate creativity and growth; the size and complexity of the project submitted should reflect a level of personal growth and challenge over the time you spend in the HPC.
---Projects for the HPC should represent your best crafty skills.  Take pride in your work.  Classes and challenges should take a minimum of 30 minutes to make.  
---A project can only be submitted for one class/challenge (the same project cannot be entered in multiple categories) unless noted in prompt (it will be CLEARLY noted if allowed).
---Projects must be turned in within the timeframe designated by the type of assignment or challenge.
---For a project to be counted, it must have a picture or picture link included.  If your item is a private piece, you may submit a picture link to one of the headmistresses.
---For any cooking/food project, in addition to a photo, you must post a complete recipe, or link to the complete recipe you used.  No recipe = no points.  [EDIT due to questions: *For our purposes, a "complete recipe" means it includes a full set of ingredients, and step-by-step instructions that another HPC member could replicate themselves at home.
---There is SO MUCH to do in the HPC.  Do not feel like you have to craft everything.  Think of the HPC as a "Choose Your Own Adventure".  Craft what inspires you, but don't try to do everything and get burned out.  Keep in mind these wise words , "It does not do to dwell on lists and forget to craft."  

~*HOW TO TURN IN A PROJECT*~
For each assignment/challenge, use this header:
Class/Challenge/House Pride:
SPEW: (If your item is for charity, enter that here; if not leave blank or add n/a.)
House:
Project Name:
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)
Project Picture:
Feel free to also include your house and any storycrafting you've created for your project.
---You can add more than one project to your post, but a header must be used for each project.

~*HPC FAQs*~
---How long is a semester?  Semesters are as follows: WINTER- December, January, February; SPRING-March, April, May; SUMMER-June, July, August; FALL-September, October, November.
---When can I join?  You can join anytime in the semester.
---Do I have to sign-up to join this craftalong? No, all you have to do is post in the thread a hi or completed project post.
---How do I complete a semester/earn my year? To complete a semester/year, you only have to complete one class or challenge during the semester.
---What timezone do we use?  We use Headmistress pinkleo's Central Timezone (Texas time).
---Do you sort me?  NO, you will decide which house you belong to, but you can only choose one.
---I have a problem or question; who can I ask?  You can send a Personal Message (PM) to Headmistress Mistress Jennie.  You can also ask specific questions to HPC staff.  And you can post your question in the thread; our students are very helpful!
---Can I turn in something I did earlier? With a very few exceptions the answer is NO!  You must complete your project during the current semester. Exceptions are Detention and OWLs; look for details about these projects in their information posts.
---Are we swapping? No, this is not an organized swap.  We are just encouraging crafting with a HP twist.  But if you enjoy swapping, keep an eye out for HP themed swap info in our thread.
---Do I have to craft all the classes and challenges? NO, you pick what you inspires you.  There is tons to choose from so choose your own HP Craft Adventure through the castle.
---What kind of projects are allowed for classes/challenges? If Craftster has a category for it, then it is a viable HPC project.  And since Craftster has a board for almost everything, your choices are vast.
---Does my craft project have to be Harry Potter themed? NO, if your item fulfills the class/challenge prompt, then it can be posted in the HPC.  Above all, we are here to encourage crafting.

~*House Points*~
~*Your triumphs will earn you points*~
Points System
15 points for a Class Assignment & Challenge*
100 points for OWLs
150 points for NEWTs
10 points extra for SPEW aka Charity Items

House Points Guidelines
--- *You cannot double dip for Class & Challenge points.  For example, if you turn-in a project for Herbology & Geminio, then you would get 2 badges but only 15 points for the project.
---You cannot get credit for a class or challenge twice.  For example, if you turn in 2 Alchemy projects, then you will only get points for the first one.
--- SPEW points are extra credit.  You can earn SPEW points for each project you turn in if it goes to charity.  You do not have to give the charity's name, just that you are donating to a certain cause.  (I happen to know that some Battered Women's Shelters don't like their names/locations posted.) SPEW projects must be clearly marked with SPEW to earn extra points.  I suggest adding it to your header.  Also, SPEW project can be turned in as stand-alone projects; they will earn 10 points.  Unlike most projects, you can turn in more than one SPEW project for points.
---HPC Challenge Points do not include House Challenges.  For Example, a Gryffindor Lion-along project would not count for points unless it also fulfills a HPC Class or HPC Challenge.
--- To determine House Cup Winner, an average from the points accumulated per house and the number of members per house.  If there is a tie, then more than one house will win the cup.  Note, a House Member is someone who has turned in at least 1 project.
--- Don't stress over House Points, but do craft your personal best. (This varies from person to person.  And I'm not really worried about "crafting your best" bit because HPCers are amazing crafters!)

~*HPC Portkeys*~
Headmistress Tower & Badge Station
Diagon Alley
Magician of the Month (Replaces Witch of the Week)
Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean Grab Bag
Wizard & Witch Career Placement Agency
Pinterest Pixie's Projects Page
Hogwarts Kitchens

House Keys
7th Floor Gryffindor
Hufflepuff PARTY Common Room
Ravenclaw Tower
Slytherin Dungeon

Professors' Classrooms
Detention in the Dungeons
Alchemy Dungeon
Arithmancy
Astronomy Tower
Care of Magical Creatures
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Divination
Herbology
History of Magic
Muggle Studies
Dungeon 5: Potions
Classroom 1B: Transfiguration
Ordinary Wizarding Levels
Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests

~*The Great Hall OT Chat*~

Craftster craftalongs are for crafting and crafting encouragement.  If you would like to talk off-topic, such as in-depth Harry Potter discussions, then please visit The Great Hall.  Thank you for keeping the HPC within Craftster guidelines.

~*Fall HPC Staff*~
Headmistress Mistress Jennie

Gryffindor Head of House WhistleFish
Hufflepuff Head of House Moonflame
Ravenclaw Head of House FiberAlchemist
Slytherin Head of House DragonChilde

Alchemy Professor Inselaeffchen
Apparition POSITION OPEN
Arithmancy Professor noodle-bug
Astronomy Professor DragonChilde
Care of Magical Creatures & Divination Professor ErinAquaheart
Charms Professor POSITION OPEN
Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor tiamatfire
Flying Professor POSITION OPEN
Herbology Professor Inselaeffchen
History of Magic & Muggle Studies Professor WhistleFish
Potions Professor noodle-bug
Study of Ancient Runes POSITION OPEN
Transfiguration Professor calliemae

Kitchen Elf FiberAlchemist

Badge Baronesses BadWolf314, FiberAlchemist, Mistress Jennie, pinkleo, WhistleFish,
Pinterest Pixie Inselaeffchen
Spreadsheet Sorceress & Math Magician Mistress Jennie  

~*Past HPC Semesters*~
Summer 2012, Fall 2012, Winter 2012/2013, Spring 2013, Summer 2013, Fall 2013, Winter 2013/2014, Spring 2014, Summer 2014

~*Previous Winner of House Cup*~
Winter 2012/2013: Gryffindor
Spring 2013: Gryffindor
Summer 2013: Gryffindor
Fall 2013: Gryffindor
Winter 2013/2014: Ravenclaw
Spring 2014: Ravenclaw
Summer 2014: Ravenclaw
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014 09:22:10 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014 05:25:34 PM »

~*Current Challenges*~
Headmistress Challenge - September CLOSED

Headmistress Challenge - October CLOSED

Headmistress Challenge - November
November 1 - November 30

~*House Pride & House Unity*~
You can turn in as many House Pride or House Unity projects as you wish.  These are projects inspired by one of the Hogwarts Houses.  House Pride would be projects representing your house, and House Unity would be projects representing the other houses or a combination of houses.  They can be inspired by house colors, mascots, founders, heads, past members, house ghosts, etc.  Note you will get House Points on only 1 House Pride and 1 House Unity project per semester.

~*Fall Classes*~
---Alchemy:  We continue with studying the Alchemical Elements, with copper.  Copper is a reddish-coloured metal, with a high electrical and thermal conductivity (among pure metals at room temperature, only silver has a higher electrical conductivity). Copper may well be the oldest metal in use, as copper artifacts dating to 8700 BC have been found Copper was associated with the goddess Aphrodite/Venus in mythology and alchemy, owing to its lustrous beauty, its ancient use in producing mirrors, and its association with Cyprus, which was sacred to the goddess. The elemental alchemy symbol for copper is also the planetary symbol for Venus. As such, this symbol embodies such characteristics as love, balance, feminine beauty, and artistic creativity.  Study the information above and craft something using copper (or copper colored) or something that is linked with/reminds you of the goddess Aphrodite/Venus.

---Apparition: Apparition instructor Wilkie Twycross stresses remembering the 3 Ds of Apparition; destination, determination, deliberation.  For this semester we will focus on his three-pronged approach.  You must craft something involving 3 related materials.  Three colors of fabric or yarn, 3 types of embroidery stitches, 3 ingredient recipes, or create a craft in 3 parts, such as a triptych of hooplas.

---Arithmancy: The 'imaginary number' i does not exist, but is nevertheless a useful tool for working arithmancers (and Muggle mathematicians!). In honour of i, we will be imagining things that would be useful, but don't currently exist; for this class you must create a project that doesn't have a pattern or design guide.

---Astronomy:  I was lucky enough to procure an old Muggle astronomy book and this is where our assignment for the semester comes from.  What we study in Astronomy consists of things that we know. The truth my dear students, is that there is still so much we DON'T know about the night sky. We know more now than we ever have before but there is still so much to learn. This term you must tackle something unknown. Whether this means learning a new craft technique or researching some aspect of the night sky you don't know and making something inspired by it or tackle the unknown in some other way I leave up to you. Just make sure that you explain how you tackled the unknown when you turn in your assignment.

---Care of Magical Creatures (CoMC):  For the fall semester we will be studying the beautiful but deadly Chimaera! The Chimaera is a vicious, bloodthirsty creature with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a dragon's tail. Some depictions of Chimaeras have the beasts with three heads, a lion's, goat's and a dragon's on a bull like body with a snake for a tail (making a fourth "head").  A chimaera is literally a "hodge-podge" of several creatures. While the classical Chimaera is part lion, goat, and dragon, a true Chimaera is simply any two or more of anything. The Chimaera is also very difficult to slay!  The only wizard known to accomplish this feat died soon after by falling from his winged horse.  Study the chimaera carefully and then create an object that combines two or more "unusual" things together, or craft something that has been difficult for you to make.

---Charms: Reparo is the mending or repairing charm.  It is used to seamlessly repair a broken object. It is intended only to be used on non-magical inanimate objects, and can cause severe scarring if used on living beings.  If used on a broken magical object, the item in question will be repaired in shape only, but its magical ability will not be mended. This semester you will study this important charm by repairing a broken object, or adapting an existing object so that it works more properly for you.  Some ideas for are altering a garment to fit, upcycling a piece of furniture, or transforming a broken mirror into a cork board.

---Defence Against the Dark Arts (DADA): It's Autumn, and as well all know with autumn comes Hallowe'en!  On Hallowe'en it's often difficult to tell evil creatures apart from friends in costumes, so be prepared to look at everything closely.  For class you will need to craft something that will let you see more clearly, either literally (glasses case, spyglass prop, etc.), figuratively (contemplation journal, etc.), or even using the interpretation of "sharpened vision".

---Divination:  Crystal Gazing or Scrying is one of my favorite ways to "see."  Using a crystal ball or a very smooth reflective surface, such as a bowl of clear water or even a mirror, we can attempt to see past the thin veil that makes up our present and see the past and future.  Those of you not aligned to the unknown may find this difficult at first but please don't give up.  It takes time and concentration as well as patience.  Create something smooth on which to practice or show your ability to scry/gaze by crafting what you "see" in the beyond.

---Flying: Flying isnt possible without a broomstick.  Nearly every wizarding household has at least one or more brooms, which are kept in good working order for traveling.  This semester, we will examine what goes into making a broom by exploring one of its most important components, wood.  You must craft something which has wood for one of its primary materials. The wood should be a major component of the item, rather than a tiny add-on.  For example: If you crafted a knitted scarf with a few wooden beads on it, the beads wouldn't be considered a primary component, as the primary medium is yarn.  

---Herbology:  Hagrid maintains a pumpkin patch outside his hut, which produces the pumpkins used to decorate the Great Hall for the Hallowe'en feast. Although the plants aren't inherently magical, Hagrid gives them some "help" so that the pumpkins swell to the size of garden sheds by the time the feast rolls around. For this semester I would like you to look at pumpkins and their varied uses (not just decoration). Please craft something that reminds you of the pumpkin or its seeds.

---History of Magic (HoM):  During the fall months you may notice the leaves changing colors, especially the oak tree. Oak trees have had a special place in magical times for hundreds of years. The oak's acorn is a symbol of strength and power. The acorn only appears on a fully mature oak, it is often considered a symbol of the patience needed to attain goals over long periods of time. It represents perseverance and hard work. To truly understand the properties of the oak tree and acorns, please craft something that requires a lot of patience and hard work.

---Muggle Studies (MS):  Many muggle countries around the world have their own versions of Thanksgiving, but it especially popular in the United States and Canada. Traditionally Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated by Muggles in which they give thanks for the fall harvest and bountiful blessings in their lives. It is a holiday celebrated with family and friends and lots of food to symbolize the abundant crops being brought in for harvesting. To help you learn about this Muggle tradition please craft something that symbolizes the fall harvest or shows your thanks for someone else. You could craft something fall-related or make a gift for someone to show them you care.

---Potions:  In potions, the correct heating of the mixture is important; timing and amount of heat applied make a big difference. Create something that must be transformed by heat before it is complete; this could be baking in an oven, using a hot fix gun, or developing effects by applying hot air.

---Study of Ancient Runes (SoAR): DAGAZ - Daylight or Dawn.  The breaking through of your new ideas. Light is all around you.  

In the autumn the days begin to get shorter, as winter approaches.  Utilize what daylight is here, and craft something related to light, the dawn, or something created from a material you found outside such as fallen leaves, acorns, pinecones, branches, etc.

---Transfiguration: This fall we are going to learn how to transfigure owls into opera glasses. For you homework you can choose to craft either an owl, or something that can be worn on the face or an object to store your opera glasses after the spell has been completed. Some options could be masks, facial scrubs or glasses cases.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014 05:07:52 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014 05:28:15 PM »

~Completed Classes and Challenges~
Looking for links to projects?  What to see everyone's crafty magic this term?  
Then head over to our hosted by our Pinterest Pixie Inselaeffchen

Gryffindor
Abbeeroad, 6th Year: Apparition, Arithmancy, BEAN-Pom, BEAN-Shrimp, CoMC, Charms, Divination, Flying, HEAD-Oct., HoM, MS, Potions, SoAR
Avesthel, 3rd Year: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Aubergine, BEAN-Pom, BEAN-Shrimp+SPEW, CoMC, HEAD-Sept., HoM, SoAR
jenleahlynn, alumni 2: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Peach, CoMC+SPEW, Charms, DADA, Herbology, HoM, MS, SoAR, Transfiguration,
Mamaneedles, alumni 2:
Mistress Jennie, alumni 3: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Pom, BEAN-Shrimp, BEAN-Broccoli, BEAN-Peach, CoMC, Charms, DADA, DET-Sept., DET-Oct., DET-Nov.,  Divination, Flying, HEAD-Sept., HEAD-Oct., HEAD-Nov., Herbology, HoM, House Pride, House Unity, MS, Potions, SoAR, Transfiguration
rockmygypsysoul, 5th Year: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Peach, oMC, Charms, DADA, Divination, Flying, Herbology, HoM, MS, Potions, SoAR,
tiamatfire, alumni 2: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Aubergine, BEAN-Shrimp, BEAN-Broccoli, CoMC, Charms, DADA, DET-Oct., Divination, HEAD-Sept., Herbology, MS, Potions, SoAR, Transfiguration
WhistleFish, alumni 2: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Shrimp, BEAN-Pizza, BEAN-Peach, CoMC, Charms, DET-Sept., DET-Oct., DET-Nov., Divination, Herbology, HoM, MS, Potions, SoAR, Transfiguration,    

Hufflepuff
Acadian Driftwood, 5th Year: BEAN-Aubergine, Apparition, BEAN-Pizza, CoMC, Charms, DADA, Divination, MS, Potions,
AnnoyingBigSister, 5th Year:
BringMeKnitting8, 3rd Year: BEAN-Aubergine, SoAR,
gaudiknight, 4th Year: Alchemy, Apparition+SPEW, Arithmancy, BEAN-Aubergine, BEAN-Pom, BEAN-Pizza, BEAN-Peach, DADA, DET-Sept., DET-Oct., Divination, Herbology, MS,
jillybeans Year:, HEAD-Oct., MS, Potions,
J_Kieviet, 2nd Year: Alchemy, Arithmancy, DET-Sept., Herbology, MS, Transfiguration
madcrafter, 1st Year: Alchemy, DET-Sept., HoM, House Pride, MS,
midkiffsjoy, 6th Year: Apparition, Arithmancy, BEAN-Pom, BEAN-Shrimp, Divination, Flying, HoM, MS, SoAR, Transifguration
Moonflame, alumni 1: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Shrimp, CoMC, Charms, DADA, Herbology, MS, Potions, SoAR, SPEWx1
NathanielM93, 2nd Year: Astronomy, DADA, Flying, HoM, Potions
Nicajeanie, 6th Year:  
panda bear, 4th Year:
sammylouise40, 5th Year:
seeuudee, 5th Year:

Ravenclaw
AugustBell, 6th Year: DET-Sept., HoM, MS, Potions,
BadWolf314, 6th Year:
FiberAlchemist, alumni 3: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, CoMC, Flying, HoM, House Unity, Potions,
Magpirate, 5th Year: Alchemy, Astronomy, BEAN-Aubergine, BEAN-Pom., BEAN-Pizza, BEAN-Peach, CoMC, Charms, DET-Oct., Divination, Flying, HEAD-Sept, Herbology, HoM, House Unity, MS,  
netchez, 6th Year: BEAN-Shrimp, BEAN-Peach,
noodle-bug, alumni 2: Alchemy, Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Aubergine, BEAN-Pomegranate, BEAN-Shrimp, BEAN-Broccoli, BEAN-Pizza, BEAN-Peach, CoMC, Charms, DADA, DET-Sept., DET-Oct., DET-Nov., Divination, Flying, HEAD-Sept., HEAD-Oct., HEAD-Nov.,  Herbology, HoM, House Pride, House Unity, MS, Potions, SoAR, Transfiguration,
pottermouth, alumni 2: Apparition, Astronomy, Flying, Transfiguration
teag, 7th Year:
Toralune, 2nd Year:
vincentvanbuck, 5th Year: Apparition, Astronomy, BEAN-Aubergine, BEAN-Pom, BEAN-Shrimp, Divination, Flying, HEAD-Sept., HoM, MS, Potions, SoAR

Slytherin
AnnoyingLittleBrother, 6th Year:  
Ant Bee, alumni 2: Herbology
calliemae, 3rd Year: BEAN-Aubergine, Muggle Studies, Transfiguration
DragonChilde, 6th Year: Alchemy, CoMC,
ErinAquaheart, alumni 1: BEAN-Aubergine,
Inselaeffchen, 5th Year: Apparition, Arithmancy, Astronomy, BEAN-Pizza, CoMC, DET-Sept., DET-Oct., DET-Nov., Divination, HEAD-Sept., HEAD-Oct., Herbology, MS, Potions, SoAR
ladychris2010, 4th Year: DET-Sept., House Pride, MS
margaron, 3rd Year:
Naantje, alumni 2: CoMC, DADA, DET-Sept., DET-Nov., Divination, SoAR, Transfiguartion,
TechnicolorAquahearts, alumni 1:  

~House Points~
*Reminder: Class/Challenge 15 pts , OWL 100 pts, NEWT 150 pts , SPEW 10 pts extra*
*Cup Winner, average from points per house & number of members per house*

Gryffindor: 7 students, 2160 points
Hufflepuff: 9 students, 1110 points
Ravenclaw: 7 students, 1275 points
Slytherin: 7 students, 480 points
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014 11:59:31 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014 05:30:13 PM »

NOTE: Once you propose, please go forth on your Advanced Studies projects.  Your Examiners will PM if they have any inquiries.

~Everything O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s~
---Ordinary Wizarding Levels, OWLs, and Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests, NEWTs, are advanced crafting projects.  OWLs and NEWTs are supposed to be more complex and challenging projects.
---OWLs and NEWTs are more time-consuming than HPC classes and challenges.  There is no hard and fast rule on how many hours a project should take, because speed and difficulty levels are too subjective.  What we are really looking for is a project that will be a personal challenge to you.
---OWLs should take 3-4 weeks to complete.
---NEWTs should take more than a month to complete. (Please see post below for more on NEWTs.)
---Projects that do not take the allotted time of crafting will not be counted as complete; keep that in mind when you post your completed OWLs and NEWTs.  If you finish your OWL or NEWT earlier than expected, then craft an additional item(s) that correspond with your subject.  Add notes on how you finished earlier than expected and details about your additional crafting in your Completed Project post.
---You must propose your OWL or NEWT before starting so that we may be your cheerleaders and help encourage you during this more challenging craft adventure.
---You may only do 1 OWL & 1 NEWT at one time.  (Dont want you to be stuck with a ton of OWL & NEWT WIPs!)
---You may propose an OWL or NEWT any time during the semester.
---OWLs and NEWTs can carry over to the next semester.
---If you decide to abandon an OWL or NEWT project, notify your OWL Examiners, and they will erase that log from their records.  Once you have submitted to have an OWL or NEWT erased, you can propose a new one.

~*HOW TO COMPLETE AN OWL*~
1. Select which OWL you would like to complete.  You may only do one OWL at a time so select carefully.
2. Propose what you plan on doing for your OWL project.  You may do this by PM to your OWL Examiners or by posting in the HPC thread.  When making an OWL Proposal, please use the header below, and make sure you give details such as methods using, materials using, plan of action, timeline.  These details will help us cheer you on and inspire future OWLs.
3. Begin work on your OWL project.  Feel free to add progress pics in the HPC thread.
4. Once your project is complete, post a picture of your project in the HPC; make sure to use the OWL Header provided below.  Once you post a completed OWL, your OWL Examiner will notify the Headmistress, and you will earn your OWL Badge for that subject.
GOOD LUCK!!

~*OWL PROPOSAL HEADER*~
OWL Subject & Option(if available):
House:
Project Name:
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)

~*COMPLETED OWL HEADER*~
OWL Subject & Option (if available):
House:
Project Name:
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, any fun tips, etc.)
Project Picture:
Feel free to also include your house and any storycrafting you've created for your project.

~*OWL EXAMS*~
--Alchemy:  Option 1-Alchemists have, through their mystical quests, made significant contributions to our world.  These include metalworking, production of inks, dyes and cosmetics, ceramics and glass manufacture, preparation of extracts and liqueurs and the invention of gunpowder.  Honor the work of these alchemists by creating something from one or more of these contributions.  Option 2-The Four Elements of alchemy are Fire, Earth, Air and Water.  Craft a project that represents all four of these elements.
--Arithmancy: Bridget Wenlock was a famous thirteenth-century Arithmancer, and the first to establish the magical properties of the number seven.  Your OWL quest is to turn in something that involves the number seven.
--Astronomy: Option 1-Craft a star chart.  Option 2-Interpret the solar system into a craft.  Option 3-It is believed that we can only see 5% of the universe, the rest is made up of Dark Matter and Dark Energy which is invisible to us. Create something where at first glance you can only see a small portion, but when you look closer you can find the rest of the details.
--Care of Magical Creatures:  Option 1-Even in the muggle world, we are surrounded by fascinating and breathtaking creatures.  Craft something inspired by an everyday animal you find magical.  Option 2-Dragons are terrifying yet awe-inspiring; craft something inspired by these magical creatures.
--Charms: Research the different charms and show your mastery of a particular charm by crafting something inspired by it.  For example, Alohomora is an opening charm; craft something that open or has an opening.  Another example, Confundus is a confusion charm; craft something you find a bit confusing.
--Defence Against the Dark Arts: Option 1-The patronus is an effective charm against dementors and to call for help when in need, though difficult to master. Craft something using or inspired by your patronus animal.  Option 2-Craft something inspired by one of the DADA professors.
--Divination: Option 1-Create at least 4 items you need for a successful reading.  Option 2-Create a dream item.  Option 3-Create something inspired by the zodiac.
--Herbology:  Research magical and mundane plants, and show your knowledge by creating something inspired by one or more plants that could be found in a wizards or witches garden.
--History of Magic: Option 1-Create 4 different items, one item for each house, these items should reflect your interpretation of the characteristics of each house.  Option 2-Craft 3 items which represent 3 characters with Harry Potter.   Option 3-Craft something using a vintage pattern, material, or technique.
--Muggle Studies: We all know the Tales of Beetle Bard, but did you know that muggles have a vast array of fantastical stories?  The most fascinating are known to muggles as fairy tales.  Study these tales and craft something inspired by them.
--Potions: Option 1- Show off your ability to work with many ingredients by showcasing at least 3 different colors/pattern/textures.  Colors can be monochromatic.  A variegated yarn or one fabric swatch with various colors within it count as one color.  Option 2-Research different potions and show your mastery by crafting something inspired by it.
--Study of Ancient Runes: Option 1-Use an intricate charted design; you may create your own design for this project.  Option 2-Create something that contains 7 or more letters/symbols.  Option 3-Create a set of runes; these can be presented in one or more pieces.
--Transfiguration: Option 1-Practice your vanishing and conjuring spells by taking a large amount of supply and crafting one piece.  Option 2-Craft something with a dual purpose.  Option 3-Craft your Animagus.

~*OWL PROPOSALS*~

Gryffindor
Abbeeroad: Transfiguration, Sept. 6, 2013
butterflyangel: Potions, Option 1 July 23, 2014
dwfan10: Arithmancy, Apr. 30, 2013
IsikkahJai: Herbology, Sept. 6, 2012
jenleahlynn: Care of Magical Creatures, October 10, 2014
Melissaurus: Divination, Jan. 28, 2013
Mistress Jennie: History of Magic (Option 3), Feb 11, 2014 (On HOLD)
Mistress Jennie: Transfiguration, Option 1, October 4, 2014
pinkleo: Muggle Studies, Dec. 23, 2013
rockmygypsysoul: Transfiguration, Dec. 5, 2013
sakuracat23: Transfiguration, Jan. 22, 2013
spikefan: Transfiguration, Sept. 4, 2012
The Mad Quilter: Transfiguration, Sept. 3, 2013
tiamatfire: Herbology, December 25, 2013
ttsaria: Study of Ancient Runes (PM Proposal), Sept.15, 2012
whenindoubtsew: Care of Magical Creatures, Sept. 23, 2012

Hufflepuff
Acadian Driftwood: Transfiguration, Option 1, September 05, 2014
BringMeKnitting8: Astronomy, Option 2, June 11, 2014
blupaisan: Arithmancy, Jan. 27 2014
CraftLadyMJ: Potions, Option1 (PM Proposal), Mar. 25 2013
gaudiknight: Herbology, September 19, 2014
jillybeans: Transfiguration, Mar. 27, 2013
J_Kieviet: Muggle Studies, September 01, 2014
Kit the Brave: Arithmancy, Dec. 1, 2012
midkiffsjoy: Divination, June 4, 2013
patty_o_furniture: CoMC, Aug. 18, 2013
seeuudee: Charms, June 20, 2014

Ravenclaw
Audania1: Arithmancy, March 01, 2014
AugustBell: Transfiguration, Jan.16, 2013
BadWolf314: Potions, Option 1, March 02, 2014
consultingcorsair: History of Magic, Jan. 9, 2013
FiberAlchemist: SoAR, Option 1 April 07, 2014
Flip-floP: Charms, Apr. 10, 2013
krashromance: Potions, Mar. 19, 2013
kstaron: Charms, Sept. 6, 2012
Listessa: Potions, June 17, 2013
Magpirate: Astronomy, Option 3, June 14, 2014
Natasjadreams: Study of Ancient Runes, Sept. 7, 2012
noodle-bug: Care of Magical Creatures, Option 1, September 16, 2014
PenguinSoup: Care of Magical Creatures, Jan. 18, 2013
SenatorOrgana: Tranfiguration, Oct. 20, 2013
ShardaeDobby: Muggle Studies, Sept. 11, 2012
SiakelA: Alchemy, Jan. 5, 2013
Swimswamswum: Transfiguration (PM Proposal), Sept. 2, 2013
the_essence: Charms, Dec. 9, 2012
vincentvanbuck: Alchemy, Dec. 3, 2013

Slytherin
Ant Bee: Transfiguration, Sept. 8, 2012
audio: Transfiguration, Jan. 27, 2013
bookie0013: Charms, Sept. 1, 2013
calliemae: Care of Magical Creatures, Option 1, August 24, 2014
coulsenl: Potions, Dec. 2, 2013
DragonChilde: Transfiguration, Option 1 April 01, 2014
FreakieGeekie: History of Magic, Apr. 26, 2013
Inselaeffchen: Charms, July 02, 2014
lightninglisa: Astronomy, Sept. 3, 2012
Naantje: History of Magic, June 4, 2013
samash90: Transfiguration, Option 1 & 2 March 18, 2014
SKooKum: Potions, Apr. 2, 2013
TechnicolorAquahearts: MS, June 16, 2013
travelgirl: Arithmancy, July 23, 2013

Completed Owls
Gryffindor
jenleahlynn: Arithmancy
WhistleFish: Muggle Studies

Hufflepuff
Moonflame: SoAR, Option 1

Ravenclaw

Slytherin

~*OWL Certificates*~

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014 06:44:09 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014 05:32:00 PM »

~*HOW TO COMPLETE A NEWT*~
IMPORTANT: To be eligible to take your NEWT, you must have completed one OWL.  If you have not completed an OWL, you cannot propose a NEWT.
1. Select which subject you would like to complete for your NEWT.  You may only do one NEWT at a time so select carefully.
2. Propose what you plan on doing for your NEWT project.  You may do this by posting in the HPC thread or if you'd like to keep the project a secret for a swap you can propose it by sending a PM to Mistress Jennie & pinkleo.  When making an NEWT Proposal, please use the header below, and make sure you give details such as methods using, materials using, plan of action, timeline.  These details will help us cheer you on and inspire future NEWTs.
3. Begin work on your NEWT project.  Feel free to add progress pics in the HPC thread.
4. Once your project is complete, post a picture of your project in the HPC; make sure to use the NEWT Header provided below.  Once you post a completed NEWT, your NEWT Examiner will notify the Headmistress, and you will earn your NEWT Badge for that subject.
GOOD LUCK!!

~*NEWT PROPOSAL HEADER*~
NEWT Subject:
House:
Project Name:
Brief Description: (explain how your project relates to your subject, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)

~*COMPLETED NEWT HEADER*~
NEWT Subject:
House:
Project Name:
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, any fun tips, etc.)
Project Picture:

~*NEWT EXAMS*~
So, whats a NEWT?! A NEWT is impressive! A NEWT is just enough crazy that youre not totally sure you can make it to end, but not so crazy that youll land in the padded wagon on your way to the finish line.  A NEWT is much like a thesis.  You are to choose the course of study you wish to take in a particular subject.  Research your desired subject, find a facet of that subject that you wish focus your advanced studies.  Form a plan of action, and make your proposal.  Remember your NEWT should be detailed and should be a craft endeavor that take you 1 month or more to finish.  This is Advanced Studies so make sure to stretch yourself and your crafty magic.  You may take NEWTs in the following subjects:
--Alchemy: Students are expected to show extensive knowledge of basic elements, as well as the transmutation of substances.
--Arithmancy: Students display their mastery of all things magical and mathematical.
--Astronomy: Students should demonstrate knowledge of the celestial heavens.
--Care of Magical Creatures: Students should demonstrate extensive knowledge of magical creatures and their proper care and handling.
--Charms: Students are expected to have total mastery over charms.
--Defence Against the Dark Arts: Students must demonstrate the ability to defend themselves in magical combat.
--Divination: Students should have a sound knowledge of a variety of techniques of foretelling the future.
--Herbology: Students should have a vast knowledge of magical plants and be able to easily manipulate complex organic creations.
--History of Magic: Students must produce evidence that they did not sleep through all of Prof. Binns lectures.
--Muggle Studies: Students should demonstrate their knowledge of all things muggle and have the ability to blend into muggle society with ease
--Potions: Students should exhibit full knowledge of all potions and a mastery at mixing complex potions.
--Study of Ancient Runes: Students are expected to decipher obscure markings with ease.
--Transfiguration: Students will demonstrate the ability to transfigure and vanish.

~*Students Eligible to Take NEWTs*~
Abbeeroad, Acadian Driftwood, Audania1, CraftLadyMJ, DragonChilde, Eiseldora, ErinAquaheart, FiberAlchemist, indigo_roses, jenleahlynn, jennieingram, jillybeans, Kit the Brave, lelyonna, Magpirate, MamanTattoo, Melissaurus, Moonflame, Naantje, netchez, Nicajeanie, noodle-bug, patty_o_furniture, PenguinSoup, pinkleo, pottermouth, rockmygypsysoul, Supermutts, tiamatfire, travelgirl, and WhistleFish

~*NEWT PROPOSALS*~

Gryffindor
Abbeeroad: Arithmancy, Sept. 6, 2013
Melissaurus: DADA, Feb. 9, 2013
MamanTattoo: Astronomy April 07, 2014
pinkleo: HoM, Dec. 23, 2013
rockmygypsysoul: Care of Magical Creatures, July 03, 2014
tiamatfire: Charms, October 19, 2014

Hufflepuff
Acadian Driftwood: Herbology, April 10, 2014
CraftyLadyMJ: Transfiguration, July 10, 2013 (PM Proposal)
Moonflame: Transfiguration, June 6, 2013
patty_o_furniture: CoMC, August 18, 2013

Ravenclaw
BadWolf314: Alchemy, March 02, 2014
indigo_roses: Ancient Runes, Mar. 4, 2013
Magpirate: Alchemy (Email Submission) April 05, 2014
netchez: CoMC, Sept. 1, 2013
noodle-bug: History of Magic, June 24, 2014
PenguinSoup: Ancient Runes, Jan. 17, 2013
pottermouth: Arithmancy,  June 30, 2014

Slytherin
DragonChilde: Divination, Oct. 12, 2013
ErinAquaheart: Divination, August 15, 2014
margaron: Potions, August 17, 2014

Completed NEWTS
Gryffindor
tiamatfire: SoAR
tiamatfire: Charms

Hufflepuff
gaudiknight: Arithmancy

Ravenclaw
pottermouth: Transfiguration

Slytherin

~*NEWT Certificates*~
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014 11:47:33 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014 05:33:08 PM »

~Headmistress Tower~
:::password: vegan caramels:::

~Badge Station~
To claim your badge, just left click the image; it will open another window with a larger image, which you can right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it.  Ideas on how to use your badges: as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges.

Class Badges

House Pride & House Unity Badges

Challenge Badges

~Chocolate Frog Cards~
These are the Chocolate Frog Cards aka CFCs offered within the HPC thread, also known as Common CFCs.  There are some Special CFCs that have been handed out by HPC Staff from their private collection that may have not been revealed yet in the thread.  You can collect CFCs by completing a CFC challenge prompt or by doing extraordinary crafty magic.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014 11:24:22 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014 05:34:42 PM »

Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans
A risk with every mouthful!

"You want to be careful with these. When they say every flavor, they mean every flavor - you know you get all the ordinary ones like chocolate and peppermint and marmalade, but then you can get spinach and liver and tripe. George reckons he had a bogey-flavored one once." - Ron Weasley

Its no secret that Hogwarts students love sweets.  And teachers, Headmasters & Headmistresses have been known to enjoy their share of treats too.  Therefore, your brilliant Headmistresses have devised an epic new *series* of Mini-Challenges for you.  

Every two weeks we will pull a new bean out of the bag.  Each bean will be the inspiration for a mini-challenge.  Students may complete and post a craft based on that theme to earn 15 House Points, and a Badge for that challenge.  Once a new challenge is posted, you have until 11:59 Central time THE SAME DAY to finish posting the "old" bean.  Items posted after that can earn Badges, but no House Points  As with all things in the HPC, you are welcome to do any, all, or none of these challenges.  They are just a way to inspire your own magical crafting adventures.

*If the Semester ends before the Bean's two week span is over, the Bean will continue into the new semester.  You may only enter your Bean project in *one* of the semesters.

And this weeks bean is...
PEACH!

The peach is a deciduous tree, which bears an edible juicy fuzzy-skinned fruit also called a peach.  While it is native to Northwest China, it was later cultivated in Persia, before moving to Europe and the Americas.  Peaches and nectarines are the same species, even though they are regarded commercially as different fruits. (Peaches present a characteristic fuzz on the skin, while nectarines are smooth-skined due to a recessive allele.)  Peach blossoms are highly prized in Chinese culture. The ancient Chinese believed the peach to possess more vitality than any other tree because their blossoms appear before leaves sprout, and o n New Year's Eve, local magistrates would cut peach wood branches and place them over their doors to protect against evil influences.  Peaches have also figured prominently in art around the world.  Caravaggio, Renoir, Monet, Manet, Rubens, & Van Gogh are among the many influential artists who painted peaches and peach trees in various settings.  Scholars believe the artists of Renaissance symbolically used peach to represent heart, and a leaf attached to the fruit as the symbol for tongue, thereby implying speaking truth from one's heart; a ripe peach was also a symbol to imply a ripe state of good health.

For this challenge you have several options.  You may...
~Craft something velvety or fuzzy.

~Craft two objects that are the same, but look different.  (For example: 2 crocheted potholders of the same pattern, in different colors.)
~Craft something to protect a friend or loved one. (This can be to protect them from evil, or from something more mundane, like a warm hat to protect them from the elements.)
~Craft something intended as a gift, from the heart.
~Craft something that would lead to "a ripe state of good health".

~*Challenge Badges*~
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014 08:56:02 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014 05:37:27 PM »

~*Detention in the Dungeons*~

This semester there will be three Detention Challenges, one for each month.  You are welcome to do any, all, or none of these challenges.  (Remember, they are just here to help get your crafty juices flowing!)  All Detention projects are worth 15 House Points and may be turned in anytime during the semester, regardless of what the newest Challenge is, up until the semester ends on February 28th.  (For example, you may turn in September or October challenges in November.)

September Challenge:
Drat!  So-called "Professor" Umbridge has caught you talking about what Voldemorte might be up to.  Even though you were just talking to your friends while eating dinner in the Great Hall, she has given you Detention.  She has set you lines again.  For this Challenge you must complete a Work in Progress.  

October Challenge:
While in a seemingly deserted hallway Professor Moody caught Malfoy trying to jinx you from behind the bust of Barnabas the Barmy.  Initially glad to be saved from the jinx, your mood turns sour when Moody gives BOTH you and Malfoy detention.  Malfoy for the attempted jinx, and you because you weren't paying attention for possible danger.  CONSTANT VIGILANCE!  For this challenge you must create a project which you must pay very close attention to.

November Challenge:
After some poorly chosen words about Pansy Parkinson looking like a pug, you've landed yourself in Detention again.  Unfortunately it's gotten quite cold out this month, so I hope you have your House Scarves, and some of Hermoine's knitted elf hats.  You will be in the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid tonight, looking for unicorn hair caught in branches. To complete your Detention, you must finish a Work in Progress.

~*Challenge Badges*~
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014 10:58:45 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014 05:39:01 PM »

~*Diagon Alley*~
"Did he say diagonally?"

Mistress Jennie's Handmade Jewelry
MistressJennie on Etsy has donated a customized glow-in-the-dark Patronus Charm Bracelet.  The winner can choose their own patronus animal, or one of those featured in any of the HP books.

*Ships Worldwide*

MistressJennie on Etsy has also donated a copy of The Sorcerer's Companion, full of fun facts and history on the many topics covered in the Harry Potter novels.

*Ships Within US Only*

Noodle's Notions Nest
The utterly fantastic noodle-bug has donated a beautiful hand bound book, done with Japanese stab binding!

*ships worldwide*

Knotty Gurl Designs
Knotty Gurl Designs on Etsy has donated a a CUSTOM friendship bracelet with up to 25 strings!  Winner can discuss specific ideas with margaron, but the beautiful Dark Mark bracelet below gives an idea of what kinds of magic she can weave.

*Ships Worldwide*

Naantje's Needlery
Naantje has kindly donated a a crocheted charger pocket in the recipient's house colors or two other colors of their choosing. Custom-made to the size of their mobile phone.

*Ships Worldwide*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014 03:53:51 PM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014 11:00:02 AM »

Magician of the Month*
*a bi-weekly(ish) award

Magician of the Month is where we recognise outstanding HPC contributions; it may be awarded for any thing that embodies the spirit of the HPC, for example
~ excellence in crafting and a stella finished item
~ improved skill in a particular craft type displayed by a member who has documented their learning progress over a number of projects
~ crafting in the face of adversity by continuing and developing a project in the face of crafting disaster
~ any other reason that raises it's head as we go along!

If you feel that a person or project is particularly deserving of being considered for Magician of the Month, please do PM noodle-bug to let her know why you think that  Cheesy

Congratulations to the current Magicians of the Month
Inselaeffchen
for continuing in the face of crafting disaster
and proving that perseverance is worthwhile by ending up with a great finished item... this Supergirl Top, which brought her daughter much joy

and....

Augustbell[/center]
for this beautiful hoop
a super cute design, really nicely executed - especially impressive considering she's new to embroidery - and perfectly finished with a crochet border. August bell shows us here how well an adventure in a new craft can turn out if you're brave enough to try!

Previous winners this term:
madcrafter for her papercut
jenleahlynn for her survivor tree pencil drawing
magpirate for her inlaid box
gaudiknight for her 7 dresses in 7 weeks NEWT
midkiffsoy for her mourning locket

~~~
The Magician of the Month badge was designed for us by Mistress Jennie, and all of this terms winners are welcome to take it to display proudly. Your contributions are what make the HPC the great place it is.

Previous terms' winners (Witch & Wizard of the Week):
Mamaneedles for her acorn printed shirt
Pottermouth for her beetle inchie stumpwork
Mistress Jennie for exceptional services to the craftalong
Arcadian Driftwood for her moth art quilt
NathanielM93 for his felted boots
ErinAquaheart for ongoing SPEW works and joyful attitude
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014 07:34:43 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tasty Sashimi - Salmon, Tuna and Yellowtail
How to Make Your Own Dashi
How to Prepare Thai Tomato and Green Bean Salad
How to Make the Perfect Long Grain Rice
How to Cook Spicy Chicken Piri-Piri
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...