A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My DIY budget outdoor August wedding- Image OBESE!  (Read 2049 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

santacruzsugar
« on: August 25, 2014 11:04:36 AM »

I got married today two years ago, in 2012, and just realized I never posted my wedding pictures! Wanted to share, I guess better late then never. (note that the pictures don't correlate with the text- I was got frustrated with photo bucket and just stuck them in randomly....)

We had a budget of around $5,000, which I know is way more than some budget weddings, but it was still significantly less than the "average" wedding. I live in California's "wine country" which means budget weddings are pretty non-exisistance, so we cut costs by doing almost everything ourselves and thinking outside the box of the traditional venue (winery). To get a sense of the wedding culture of my area: I BRIEFLY had a conversation with a well-established wedding planner in the area and when telling her I wanted to get married at a park, she said "oh no, you can't get married on dirt!" End convo, enter the long process of planning details!

I had a 10 month engagement. When I got engaged and started planning, I had just lost my job, and had very little extra funds, but then about 4 months in, I got two jobs and our budget was able to have more wiggle room. Photos are really important to me, so hiring a photographer was the first thing I did. I choose an amazing local woman, Michelle Feileacan (if you're in Sonoma County- she's great!), who did lots of outdoor weddings. I saved funds by choosing a small package, and then adding on an extra hour to make sure I got first dance captured. All photos are done by her. We found an officiant who was just starting out in her business and was only $100, and she helped us write the ceremony and our vows. We had a caterer, but saved by on food by doing salads and other served cold things via buffet. We did appetizer cheese and crackers and veggie crudités ourselves. Drinks were self-served iced tea, water, wine and beer.

I had sewed a dress to completion, which I posted here a few years ago, but had a total mental breakdown about 2 months before that I was missing the whole shopping/friends/"say yes to the dress" experience, and went and purchased one. I loved it, I felt special, and don't regret the money that I spent on it. I asked my 3 bridesmaids to find a gray dress and colorful shoes they would wear again, and my husband had a gray suit. His men wore black pants, white shirts and gray ties. I borrowed my MOH's veil, and got super glitzy, super cheap, earrings from Forever 21.

Venue was Riverfront Regional Park, operated by the county. It was around $50 to rent the picnic ground, and another $50ish to get a "special use permit" to have the ceremony in a different part of the park. The park is beautiful, a grove of redwood trees in between a lake and a vineyard, so I really didn't need much decorations. I was going for simple with the color coming from my flowers.

I got ready at my husbands grandmother's house, who lived nearby, and did my own makeup. One of my bridesmaids was in cosmetology school so she did my hair.

There were existing picnic tables for the reception, and I brought in folding chairs for the ceremony. There is no electricity at the park, so my music was from my iPhone, hooked up to computer speakers, hooked up to an inverter hooked to a car battery. It was all piled in a red wagon and pulled though the park. A friend was enlisted to change playlists depending on what was going on (pre ceremony, procession, first dance, etc.). I walked down the aisle to an instrumental of "Here Comes the Sun" and our first dance was to "Grow Old with You" by Adam Sandler from the Wedding Singer. 

I regularly visited thrift stores and got yards of lace for very cheap, which I used it to wrap my bouquets, tie on assorted things, and use to mark the aisle. I am an avid preserve and canner, so I already had billions of canning jars, which were used for flowers and drinking glasses. I regularly posted on freecycle to get other clear glass jars from assorted foods and drinks, which I collected over the months and used for flowers. I bought muslin when it was on sale and with coupons from Joannes and used that for table runners. Napkins were purchased from a party rental place's end of year- clear out inventory sale, for less than they would have rented for. I made a variety of signs by spray painting thrift store frames and painting on the glass with chalkboard paint. I had an extra table so I made a display of photos of both me and the husband, and us growing up by gluing clothespins to dowels and sticking them in the flower vases.

My biggest accomplishment was growing my flowers, in my own garden, at friends houses, and asking my neighbors to donate anything blooming from their yards. Queen Anne's lace grows wild here as a weed, and I spent a few hours on the side of the road collecting as well. I had a great, colorful mix of zinnias, cosmos, sunflowers, and herbs. I spent about $50 from local flower vendor on big daliahs for the bouquets and my hair piece. The night before the wedding, my bridesmaids and I made the bouquets and filled the millions of jars for the tables. Another one of my bridesmaids had done a few floral design classes for fun at the JC a few years ago, so she was a huge help. She made one boutonniere, just for my husband. My bouquet was GINORMOUS, and so heavy. Something I didn't think about while building it!

Invites were designed and printed by me, on papers from the Paper Source, and then punched in the corner with craft punch. While I'm not at all a graphic designer, I had some previous experience using photoshop and inDesign from past jobs, so I downloaded the trial version of the Adobe programs and created the invites within that trial period. I had a flat card as the main invite in brown kraft card stock, an RSVP post card in the same paper, and a info card with a map and website, etc., on cream. All three got stacked and tied together with bakers twine.

I met my husband (who was a baker at the time) at a bar & restaurant I managed. He would bring in cookies at the end of the day for the staff who then gave him free beer. When I started there, and he sat down, I asked one of the other girls "I like cookies? who's he?". So to honor that, and because we could make them ahead of time, we had cookies instead of cake, and had them arranged on platters found at thrift stores and stands made from plates and candle holders. We made extras and had guests take them home as favors.

For my guestbook I set out card stock that coordinated with my invite paper and asked people to write notes for date ideas or give us tips for a great marriage. The park had a horseshoe pit, so we brought those along, as well as a volleyball pit that I turned into a badminton game. I created a photobooth by having a camera on a tripod and a remote shutter. I created lip and mustache props from fimo clay, and found a top hat and a boa on sale after Halloween.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

-at some point, someone found a rake and brought that in as a prop. Not taken from the photographer....

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014 11:11:40 AM by santacruzsugar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014 11:17:01 AM »

Your wedding was just beautiful, made even more special by all that you did yourself...I can't believe how you managed to get so much done...your friends are indeed good friends!

I loved that you made cookies instead of a cake...obviously, they captured a much fonder memory of your meeting than a cake would have done...the details are just so lovely with your story.

You were not only a lovely bride, but a frugal and talented one as well...traits that will make your marriage even more special as the years past.

Times have changed, but it is still nice to see brides still wanting to actually make things for their own wedding...I especially loved your chair covers and your flowers...fabulous job...

Thanks for sharing you special day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014 11:31:14 AM »

Absolutely beautiful! You are beautiful and here's to many many years together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014 11:46:17 AM »

I loved the whole story of your wedding and the pictures.  I think it bodes extremely well for your future married life that your wedding was created by you and your friends and family - the way it used to be done.  Wishing you both all the very best for your marriage.
And a very happy wedding anniversary too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014 11:49:18 AM by elderflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014 02:45:06 PM »

What a beautiful wedding!  Smiley Thank you for sharing it and all your projects. Very resourceful and would never have known you did it all for $5000.00.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014 02:16:29 AM »

It sounds wonderful - I want a wedding like yours when I grow up (wait - I am grown up  Roll Eyes). You are so talented and resourceful. I wish you both luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014 03:29:59 PM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014 06:53:21 PM »

wow, I can't imagine being able to accomplish all that for your own wedding.  Great job, it is all so lovely.  Everything really is beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
santacruzsugar
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014 08:03:16 AM »

Congratulations! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley

Awesome, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014 07:05:08 AM »

What a beautiful wedding! What great memories you made. And such a gorgeous setting...dirt and all.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Whiten Teeth and Eyes in Photoshop
How to Create a Video Tribute using TheOneAbout.Com
Photoshop CS4 - Software Review Part 2/2
Photoshop CS4 - Software Review Part 1/2
How to Correct Distortions - Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...