A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: clutch clutch clutch  (Read 86123 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loveshack

Life's not a garden, so don't be a hoe

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2005 02:49:25 PM »

inspired by yatta's clutch
so finally. i have moved to another online picture host.

i hope these pictures show up,
dont look too closely, the handiwork is as crappy as ever

tutorial?
when i made this bag, i didnt take the time to measure and make things straight and neat. but it works out fine.  Cool

1. cut out a 8 x11 piece of fabric. this will be the inside of your clutch. for the outer layer of your clutch. I did not take exact measurements. Instead, place your 8x11 piece on top of the desired outer layer fabric and cut 3/4 of an inch away from the edge of your fabric for the inside. like so.

2. pockets take patience. cut out a 8.5x4.5. this will be the middle pocket for ur money and whatnot.fold down/ sew the edge of the fabric so that fraying will be avoided. this is ur opening!  it is up to you how much u want to fold it. however, make sure the fold will allow u to put things into the pocket. Now is also the time to attach velcro if u want to keep that money safe. u dont want a teeny weeny pocket. now fold up all the edges and the bottom and sew it  onto the fabric for the inside. Again it is up to you how much u want to fold the edges. Just make sure u have a reasonably spacious pocket AND DONT FORGET THAT YOU HAVE TO LEAVE AT LEAST 3/4 to 1 inch from the vertical edges of the pocket to the vertical edges of the fabric.

3. its more pockets.pockets for cards. again, no precise measurements. for shame!! anyhoot, cut out 6 pieces of fabric that are 3x4.5. On each pieceof fabric trace the outline of a card (safeway, costco, id card, driver license whatever). On each piece of fabric, fold fabric's top edge until it meets the top edge of the card outline. and then sew.

4. Fold the rest of the edges on all 6 pieces of fabric. the edges of fabric meeting the outline of the card. Sew this onto the fabric for the insdie of ur clutch. After sewign the first pocket. the pockets below (on top of/ overlapping the first pocket)  the other pockets will be sewn the same way EXCEPT when u fold the bottom horizontal egde u will have to fold more and more as u get closer to the last pocket.

*********REMEMEBER 3/4-1 inch between all  edges of pockets and edge of inner fabric********

5. For the third section of ur clutch. u can do some more pockets.  u may want to follow the same steps to make a pocket like the one in step 2. In fact, make 2 of those pockets overlapping each other just like u did in step 3, 4.

6. Now for the front of your clutch,. this is the time to add velcro so that ur clutch will close and open. As for decorations, it is up to you what u want to do with it. However, YOU MUST LEAVE 3/4-1 inch of fabric on all sides empty without decor. I'd be happy to tell you what i did if you're interested.

7. In between the inner and outer fabric, i put felt to make it look fat. i think interfacing works great also. To complete ur clutch, sandwich the felt or interfacing between two of ur fabrics. MAKE SURE EVERYTHIGN IS FACIGN CORRECTLY AND THIS IS THE WAY U WANT UR CLUTCH TO LOOK LIKE WHEN CLOSING AND OPENING IT. To close it up, there should be extra outer fabric sticking out. this is good. Fold ur outer fabric once to meet the edge of the inner fabric and fold it again to sandwich and have the inner fabric under the outer fabric. Sew all edges this way.

8. ta da
MY APOLOGIES. if my instructions are really confusing. i can answer questions
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 08:37:39 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GIJane
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005 03:05:00 PM »

So cute!!  Cheesy
Exelent choice of colours! At least for my taste!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005 05:47:49 PM »

Can't see them...sometimes these free sites that host pictures are either down most of the time or not compatible with sites like this.  You can upload them directly to Craftster and link from there.  Can anyone tell her how to do it?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fadetodeath

My Chemical Romance Kicks Ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005 08:08:51 PM »

so cute nice colour choice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing to say
BRoKeNHeaRTeDLoSeR
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005 11:45:49 PM »

must make clutch.
i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovelyscrubs
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005 05:25:32 AM »

i love your clutch can do you have a tutorial ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justxlove
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005 07:40:11 AM »

ooo i love it.
you did a good job.
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sure shes got everything ive got gadgets and gizmos  of plenty ive got whozits and whatzits galore you want thingamabobs ive got twenty but who cares no big deal i want more
theo not thea
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005 11:53:22 AM »

OMG, thats so cute! can you post a tutorial ??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemo911
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005 11:59:56 AM »

I think its absolutely adorable.  The buttons are my favorite part.  It kinda matches the teddy bear.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
island-princess
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005 08:23:24 AM »

Hi, I love your clutch. It sort of reminds me of the "Long Wallet" http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=40505.0 which Craftview helped me with. But your instructions are very clear and detailed. I think using felt for the pockets as well might prove useful especially for those who don't like to turn down edges. Great Job! There are so many possibilities!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turning Crafts Into Cash
How to Make a Guitar Pick from a Gift Card
How to Make Tissue Paper Stars
How to Build Your Own Volcano
How to Make a Statue of Liberty Crown for the 4th Of July
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...