I would like to share with you how I went about making these bendable octopus arms:
Project link here
I am sure that the technique could be applied to tails, arms, legs, necks, wings, etc... There are a myriad of ways to approach this problem, this was what I came up with in my moment of need.
First I gathered some heavy wire, in this case, some floral wire I had that had a papery covering. (The paper did not help or hinder the process). I cut four lengths and folded them in half.
Then I tore strips of batting and wrapped each leg from end to end.
At some point I realized that I wanted the legs longer. (I would curse this decision later when I had to cover the entire octopus with fabric.) I found some finer wirer and attached it to the ends of each leg (all eight of them!). Learning what I did I would probably have attached them smoother, there is a bit of a lump on each leg where these two wires meet.
Here are the legs, completely covered:
I then joined the four sections at the folded point and attached them securely with wire to the neighboring arm.
Because the arm of an octopus tapers I decided to add thickness to the upper sections of the arms and tore additional strips of batting to do this.
Here you can see the arms on the right have been "beefed up" while the ones on the left are still sporting one layer of batting.
None of the batting has been stitched down at this point. I suppose you could stitch as you go, however your approach. I decided to wrap each leg with a plain material to hold the batting down. I folded the fabric around the leg then did a hap-hazard running stitch over a raw edge to cover the leg. I was not looking for beauty points at this step.
Once pinned I simply cut off the excess.
Here you can see two of the legs covered and ready for their final treatment.
Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them. Good luck!
(This was my first tutorial. Whew!)